Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    So you can pass your exam --> Carrying on with course, because you're pleased with results --> Revising well for first year exams --> Getting first --> Revising well for 2nd/3rd/4th(?) year exams and get a first --> Get a successful & well paid career and move up the ranks --> Marry someone super attractive because you're rich --> Have beautiful and perfect children --> Live a happy life --> Die in the best retirement home money can buy.

Perhaps.
    that was the plan of my life and then it all went a bit poo.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    What college are you from?

And no you can't ignore one from each exam paper :p: And Groups are awesome, don't diss 'em :P Though I am sadly better at applied maths, so I might end up doing that But Vectors and Matrices is revolting, so I don't see myself volunteering for more of that any time soon.
    Caius :love:

Owww that's not fair!! :mad: Groups are vile, I hate them with much gusto. oh well, maybe I'll just learn the important bits form the pure stuff ... or actually attempt to work harder next term ....

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, if you want beautiful children you need to do that N&S revision :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I just won't have kids. Problem solved.

I'm so pleased Am going to India in the summer and was stressing about what to take clothes-wise, since it's going to be really hot and humid and I'll be doing a lot of walking. But I went to the Landsend outlet store today, and got 2 pairs of linen trousers, 3 linen tops, a skirt, and the comfiest sandals ever, and saved about 100 quid. Yay. I'm really looking forward to the trip.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Yeah, if you want beautiful children you need to do that N&S revision :rolleyes:
    The only problem with this is that it assumes that I have the ability to produce beautiful children :rolleyes: That N&S revision hasn't got any more appealing in the last few hours :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by C2H5OH)
    Well, goodbye everyone... I've realised I'm really not cut out for this place at all and have absolutely no hope of getting anything out of it, and my Director of Studies and tutor all seems to agree with me... so I'm not going to be here next term.

Sorry to hear that If it makes you feel better you've just inspired me to do some revision tomorrow

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    ... Have beautiful and perfect children -->
    :rofl:
    (Original post by minimo)
    that was the plan of my life and then it all went a bit poo.
    You know, I'm pretty sure that non-rich, imperfect people with average degrees, partners of debateable physical attraction and partially monstrous children can also be very happy... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:, I've just had a horrible realisation. I have a Russian novel and a Russian poem to read before I go back. I also have an essay to write. And six Spanish articles to read, summarise and blast through the vocab/grammar. As well as two chapters from my Spanish textbook. And a bunch of Spanish worksheets. And worst of all - about 6 sheets of Russian verbs of motion.

Tomorrow I'm shopping with my family. The day after I'm going bowling and for a meal. The day after I'm going to visit my boyfriend. The day after I'm going skiing. I get back on the 10th, and am going to Cambridge on the 11th.

:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.

EDIT: Those santas so don't sum up the sentiment

ReputationRep:
    :santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:, I've just had a horrible realisation. I have a Russian novel and a Russian poem to read before I go back. I also have an essay to write. And six Spanish articles to read, summarise and blast through the vocab/grammar. As well as two chapters from my Spanish textbook. And a bunch of Spanish worksheets. And worst of all - about 6 sheets of Russian verbs of motion.

Tomorrow I'm shopping with my family. The day after I'm going bowling and for a meal. The day after I'm going to visit my boyfriend. The day after I'm going skiing. I get back on the 10th, and am going to Cambridge on the 11th.

:santa2::santa2::santa2::santa2:.

EDIT: Those santas so don't sum up the sentiment
    :console: I doubt it will be any comfort at all, but I have exactly the same (well not measured perfectly, but I think fairly close to the same) amount of work as you, with a similar number of activities planned between now and the start of term. Are we about to turn into 4am buddies again? :p:

Either way: :woo: AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH HH!!!!!! :argh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :console: I doubt it will be any comfort at all, but I have exactly the same (well not measured perfectly, but I think fairly close to the same) amount of work as you, with a similar number of activities planned between now and the start of term. Are we about to turn into 4am buddies again? :p:

Either way: :woo: AAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRGGGGHHHHHHH HH!!!!!! :argh:

That's actually fairly comforting. At least it's not just me who will be panicking I'm not sure I can actually do another 4am this evening... I've done them the last several nights and am starting to crash Plus, my work is upstairs and if I go up I'll wake my sister up (we share a room) and will be yelped at by my mother to go to bed. Maybe I'll go and read Russian until I fall asleep. I've just tried to convince myself that watching Pan's Labyrinth is work, but I think that really only holds for film watching when I have an essay to write on it :p:

Meep, good luck with it! I foresee a few all nighters when I get back to Cambridge trying to get it all done in time

ReputationRep:
    Yeh, its going to be interesting working out how to fit it all in, but we'll manage somehow I get back to Cam on the 5th, but I need to make a start before then. Its so hard when you're staying with other people rather than being alone at home :dry:

Btw if anyone doesn't have me on facebook, can you please PM me so you can add me or vice versa? I'm about to create a facebook event for my birthday party at the start of term

ReputationRep:
    My problem is that when I'm at home my family want me to be actively around. So I get very little time to actually do work without feeling guilty. I spent the whole of the first week working, and then after I spent the weekend at my boyfriend's my mum had a mini freakout and said that my brother and sister felt like I'd gone away to university and not really come back, because all I did was work and talk to Ben. So since then I've had to make a conscious effort to be involved, but I'm then having to work late which is pushing my bedtimes later and as I get more tired I get less productive and so have done less every night And now I'm in this rubbish situation...

ReputationRep:
    Awww :console:
    To be honest, I think maybe your family need to get a reality check. Maybe you should be insistent about the volume of work (and rather split the time between family and boyfriend a tad more evenly?) I'm sure their feelings and the relationships are really important to you, but at the same time its only going to get busier from here onwards. I don't mean the work - I mean life in general. Are you the eldest? Its natural for the family to feel a bit wobbly at not having you around in the same way, but sooner or later kids grow up, and its not fair for you to be unable to do what you need to do because they're struggling to come to terms with it.
    Or maybe I'm just hearing the situation all wrong :p: *hastily butts out*

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I am the eldest - my sister is four years younger and my brother is 8 years younger, so neither of them really understand. And my parents are finding it quite hard I think - me and my mum have always been very close.

I don't think they comprehend quite how much work I have. Both my parents went to university, but neither to Cambridge and from talking to my friends, the workload at Cam is many times larger than at other places. My life is busy as well - I've only seen my home friends twice since I got back for various reasons And I've spent two nights with my boyfriend in total It's difficult to know how much better I could balance it as it's already so biased towards my family, I'm even spending new year with them instead of with my boyfriend! Next holiday I'll just have to make it much clearer I think.

You're hearing the situation right as far as I can tell, thank you for the advice

ReputationRep:
    Good luck with that! Its really hard. I've been battling with similar stuff myself. I spent the first year trying to figure out how to carry on devoting time to all the people I value, and eventually realised that I couldn't continue to do so in the same way. Its a bit easier with my parents, because there was a very real and non negotiable distancing once I left the country, but many of my friends seriously don't get it, and I sense a bit of resentment. Even if you show people your calendar and the exact quantity of work you have, they somehow refuse to believe it really could be that serious :rolleyes:

Meh

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, quite. I had a bit of an issue with some of my friends from home thinking I didn't want to know them anymore, because I rarely called, but it's just because things happen so fast in Cambridge that I don't notice the days passing and just plain don't have time.

It's especially hard because people just don't appreciate how much work there actually is. One of my medic friends rang me past midnight the other day and asked what I was up to, and when I said I was working said, "don't be stupid, Arts students don't have work, especially not in the holidays" :rolleyes:

Meh, hopefully I'll sort it out somehow. The family will be a bit more used to it by Easter and hopefully won't begrudge me spending so much time working as I'll be heading into exams.

ReputationRep:
    :ahhhhh: 68 is way too many people to invite to a party :eek: :eek: :eek3:

*goes back to furiously hack large chunks out of guestlist* :dry:

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, quite. I had a bit of an issue with some of my friends from home thinking I didn't want to know them anymore, because I rarely called, but it's just because things happen so fast in Cambridge that I don't notice the days passing and just plain don't have time.

It's especially hard because people just don't appreciate how much work there actually is. One of my medic friends rang me past midnight the other day and asked what I was up to, and when I said I was working said, "don't be stupid, Arts students don't have work, especially not in the holidays" :rolleyes:
    Oh my goodness, that is so aggravating!
    This sort of thing has caused serious strain between me and two of my friends who think I'm a deranged neurotic. Both of them did barely any work in their degrees and they keep on asking to come up and stay with me during term and being put out when I say they can't :mad:

ReputationRep:
    :ahhhhh: 68 is way too many people to invite to a party :eek: :eek: :eek3:

*goes back to furiously hack large chunks out of guestlist* :dry:
    The birthday party I've just been invited to on Facebook has a guestlist of 117! :eek:

Oh my goodness, that is so aggravating!
    This sort of thing has caused serious strain between me and two of my friends who think I'm a deranged neurotic. Both of them did barely any work in their degrees and they keep on asking to come up and stay with me during term and being put out when I say they can't
    Hah, luckily the fact that I appear to have alienated my friends means that none of them actually want to come and stay with me. I'm unsure as to how good a thing this actually is :p:

Eurgh, definitely bedtime for me

ReputationRep:
    The birthday party I've just been invited to on Facebook has a guestlist of 117! :eek:
    You don't mean mine do you? If so I'm screwed. Damn facebook! :hmmm: *major panic*

EDIT: Panic averted. Pretty sure fb hasn't backstabbed me :hmmmm:

:goodnight:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.