The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm on the Gregorian calendar. The New Year won't start until, conveniantly, term starts.

Who wants to organise a Formal? I've not been to one for years. :p:
Reply 4001
FadeToBlackout
I'm on the Gregorian calendar. The New Year won't start until, conveniantly, term starts.

ukebert will :wink:

But you have to come to my party first! :judge:

CHECK FACEBOOK :poke:
Reply 4002
formalformalformal!
munro90
with you on that one!- i love the speed camera's in ankh morpork:p: and all the clever little puns he puts in!
he definitely deserves a knighthood- only got into discworld this summer but i love it now!! (i hated it when i tried it when i was younger- so its worth going back to!)

Loads of people say "Oh, I read one when I was younger and I didn't like it", and lots of the time it's because they started with the first book (The Colour of Magic) which is really bad. It's so clearly an attempt at a Fantasy Douglas Adams, and it really doesn't work well. His middle-late books are great -- Thief of Time, Nightwatch, The Truth. Oh, and the Hedgehog Song.

Altogether now:
You can bugger the bear, if you do it with care,
in the winter, when he is asleep in his lair,
Happy new year! (Nevermind that it's already 2 January here.)

I feel like I've had a productive day - almost finished Groups 4 now! And I managed to get WPA/RADIUS working in my house after struggling with mysterious bugs undocumented enabled-by-default features. I guess I can get rid of MAC-based access control now.
Reply 4005
Craghyrax

Am I getting an invite? :p: You offered me one but didn't deliver :frown: My spirit was crushed, ya' know.
Reply 4006
Zhen Lin

I feel like I've had a productive day - almost finished Groups 4 now!

I was working for four hours straight and I've got 13 questions of V&M4 sorted! Plus I only have three of Groups to do... I don't know why I'm focussing on these two so much - they're not in until week 1 :s-smilie:
Reply 4007
Gesar
I was working for four hours straight and I've got 13 questions of V&M4 sorted! Plus I only have three of Groups to do... I don't know why I'm focussing on these two so much - they're not in until week 1 :s-smilie:

:cry: I can't actually complete any of the questions on V&M4 ...
Reply 4008
smilepea
:cry: I can't actually complete any of the questions on V&M4 ...

I had the lecture notes in front of me as I did them :smile: Plus, I did FP4 which gave me a huge boost for all the 'Show a Hermitian matrix has distinct real eigenvalues' type questions, because the stuff isn't so new.

Not like on Groups where I needed strokes of genius to get a couple of them done :s-smilie: I feel as if I've run out of luck now :P
Reply 4009
Gesar
Am I getting an invite? :p: You offered me one but didn't deliver :frown: My spirit was crushed, ya' know.

You didn't PM me with your name or add me on facebook :huff:

Get a move on :poke:
Reply 4010
Gesar
I had the lecture notes in front of me as I did them :smile: Plus, I did FP4 which gave me a huge boost for all the 'Show a Hermitian matrix has distinct real eigenvalues' type questions, because the stuff isn't so new.

Not like on Groups where I needed strokes of genius to get a couple of them done :s-smilie: I feel as if I've run out of luck now :P

I had my notes in front of me to, it didn't seem to help :frown: we had nothing that interesting in our matrices stuff in FP3 :shifty:

Groups 4 and me did not get along well, actually groups 1-3 and me didn't get along well either :o:

but I have found my ipod :biggrin: I've been looking for it all day, and it turns out it was residing on my window sill :rolleyes:
coldfish
Loads of people say "Oh, I read one when I was younger and I didn't like it", and lots of the time it's because they started with the first book (The Colour of Magic) which is really bad. It's so clearly an attempt at a Fantasy Douglas Adams, and it really doesn't work well. His middle-late books are great -- Thief of Time, Nightwatch, The Truth. Oh, and the Hedgehog Song.

I actually like The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. However I did start with Thief of Time and Going Postal so that might be why. All this Pratchett talk has got me wanting to read one when I haven't started vac work yet... :woo:
alex_hk90
I actually like The Colour of Magic and The Light Fantastic. However I did start with Thief of Time and Going Postal so that might be why. All this Pratchett talk has got me wanting to read one when I haven't started vac work yet... :woo:

haha me too- its a shame i never have time to read fiction in full term! You're my first discworld (that i enjoyed) was either Going Postal or Making Money i can't remember which- but either ay it got me hooked (i read the other second thus the confusion). :smile:
Reply 4013
ugh, i have read so much and yet so little
/keyboard bashy
coldfish

Altogether now:
You can bugger the bear, if you do it with care,
in the winter, when he is asleep in his lair,

In which case which book do you recommend reading first while still being able to understand what's going on?

I took out Colour of Magic from the library ages ago but wasn't particularly enthralled by the first few pages or so and forgot about it.

Happy new year everyone :biggrin:
Reply 4015
Excalibur
In which case which book do you recommend reading first while still being able to understand what's going on?

Wyrd Sisters, Small Gods and Thief of Time are probably the easiest ones to read without having read any others IMO, though probably most of them will make enough sense that you'll get most of the jokes etc. Also IMO, Wyrd Sisters is the first "typical" discworld book, and Reaper Man is the last slightly iffy one.
FadeToBlackout

We must have a TSR formal :yes:

Craghyrax
ukebert will :wink:

*sighs* I don't want to have it at Peterhouse though, that's boring :frown: Someone else should organise it :yes:

I have another TSR meet tomorrow. I am considering not going to it, I have so much work to do. I spent the day with a friend of mine who's applied to Jesus. He is the cleverest chap I know, if they don't admit him (Maths and Physics) they're mad.

And Small Gods is the one that I started with :biggrin:
Reply 4017
Don't read Small Gods! I had that one twice as the book I used to try and get me into Discworld, and it failed both times. And when I liked Discworld I went back to it and I still can't get past page 50!

I say start with Wyrd Sisters and read through the witches' books in order. (Apart from the first one because that's :s-smilie:)
Just a quick hello! Just come back from visiting Richard's parents. my god his eldest sister is an obnoxious bitch. Hope everyone had a good Xmas and new year! I'm just getting ready for lots of drunken birthday fun tomorrow!
Reply 4019
Craghyrax
You didn't PM me with your name or add me on facebook :huff:

Get a move on :poke:

I posted my name in a post addressed to you... But since PMing you seems to be some sort of ritual I need to go through, I will :P

Latest

Trending

Trending