Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Don't read Small Gods! I had that one twice as the book I used to try and get me into Discworld, and it failed both times. And when I liked Discworld I went back to it and I still can't get past page 50!

I say start with Wyrd Sisters and read through the witches' books in order. (Apart from the first one because that's )
    I like Small Gods :hmmm:

And, conversely, I've never been that fondd of the witches ones :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I like Small Gods :hmmm:

I think Granny Weatherwax is one of the best female characters I've come across in a book... Another reason I like Carpe Jugulum so much; when she's no longer in control ('Coz, in all the others, she could have sorted it at the beginning if she wanted to...).

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I shall start with Wyrd Sisters then. I'm not sure whether starting a new and potentially addictive series right before the start of term will be a good idea though. :p:

And yes, TSR formal needs to happen next term! Jesus is still the only one I've been to apart from Downing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Don't read Small Gods! I had that one twice as the book I used to try and get me into Discworld, and it failed both times. And when I liked Discworld I went back to it and I still can't get past page 50!
    It's one of the best ones IMO - just the right mix of tortoise-based humour and serious stuff, with interesting characters.

:eek: Despite the fact they have the best recurring major character?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    It's one of the best ones IMO - just the right mix of tortoise-based humour and serious stuff, with interesting characters.

:eek: Despite the fact they have the best recurring major character?
    Best recurring major character? :wtf?:

Nah, Granny Weatherwax is great, but not the best.

ReputationRep:
    Best recurring major character? :wtf?:

Nah, Granny Weatherwax is great, but not the best.
    Who's better? Death doesn't count since he's really a minor character. Vimes is good, definitely, but not as good as Granny Weatherwax. Rincewind is cool, but I think most of the positive things in his books come from the situation/supporting casts. Ponder and Ridcully, and the wizards in general, are brilliant, but minor, really. Lu-tze is one of my favourite characters, but doesn't really recur in a major part. Susan is good, but not incredible IMO.

ReputationRep:
    And you're definitely not allowed to think Tiffany-bloody-Aching is the best :P Nor Moist Von Lipwig. He's a crappy, weak reproduction of Vimes :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Nor Moist Von Lipwig. He's a crappy, weak reproduction of Vimes :p:
    Hmm, I guess you could draw some parallels, but then you probably can between nearly all major Pratchett characters. I think saying he's a reproduction is going a bit far.

I think he's a good character, but possibly not worth more than a one-off book, given the limitations of what you can do with him. Definitely won't support a solid series.

Anyone else sad that there hasn't been a witches book since Carpe Jugulum, which was ages ago, and the first discworld I'd read. (In hindsight, probably among the last few I'd recommend as a first one, as good as it is.)

ReputationRep:
    Vimes is the best. No question.

ReputationRep:
    Vimes is the best. No question.
    :pierre:

I just think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...

ReputationRep:
    Anyone else sad that there hasn't been a witches book since Carpe Jugulum, which was ages ago, and the first discworld I'd read. (In hindsight, probably among the last few I'd recommend as a first one, as good as it is.)
    I am, but there's nothing else he can do with the characters now.

Spoiler:
    Show
    Verence kicked arse, Magrat took positive action, Agnes got her head sorted out, Granny was on the verge of dying, beat the toughest bad guys she would be able to beat etc. The only things I can think of in the witches series are Esk from Equal Rites and Nanny's 'Extra Day' from Theif of Time which has yet to come into play. But, since I think he can't do anything else with Granny, I don't think he'll do another full one

And as for Lipwig. Well... What is he apart from a Vimes character without the behind-the-scenes philosophy going on? He only exists to further Ankh-Morpork's storyline :p:

ReputationRep:
    Who's better? Death doesn't count since he's really a minor character. Vimes is good, definitely, but not as good as Granny Weatherwax. Rincewind is cool, but I think most of the positive things in his books come from the situation/supporting casts. Ponder and Ridcully, and the wizards in general, are brilliant, but minor, really. Lu-tze is one of my favourite characters, but doesn't really recur in a major part. Susan is good, but not incredible IMO.

How is Death a minor character?!

ReputationRep:
    :pierre:

I just think we'll have to agree to disagree on that one...
    Indeed

ReputationRep:
    Well he isn't the subject of a book. That's what I'm assuming he means :confused:

Death overall is the best character. Alongside Hex, Vimes, Ridcully and a few others.

ReputationRep:
    Well he isn't the subject of a book. That's what I'm assuming he means :confused:

Death overall is the best character. Alongside Hex, Vimes, Ridcully and a few others.
    Is Vetinari not included?! :eek:

ReputationRep:

Reaper Man

ReputationRep:
    All right, all right, I am tired and confiused :o:

Yes, Death is a character in a book, I am an idiot. Death > Vimes, narrowly. Vetinari is also one of the best characters, coming under the heading of "A few others".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    How is Death a minor character?!
    Averaging over all his appearances. Which, on reflection, is mildly dodgy methodology.

ReputationRep:
    Averaging over all his appearances. Which, on reflection, is mildly dodgy methodology.
    Indeed so, I strongly disagree that this makes him a minor character, tbh :p: Being developed progressively doesn't make a minor character. Would he be more of a major character if we removed those books where he plays a very minor role?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Indeed so, I strongly disagree that this makes him a minor character, tbh :p: Being developed progressively doesn't make a minor character. Would he be more of a major character if we removed those books where he plays a very minor role?
    Hmm, yeah. I agree he's a major character when considered over the series.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.