Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    all the ickle freshers-to-be make me feel old!

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=769556

^ Most idiotic thread title ever.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone happen to know whether Fenners is open at the moment, or whether it has random holiday opening hours?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    Does anyone happen to know whether Fenners is open at the moment, or whether it has random holiday opening hours?
    There are phone/email contact details on this site http://www.sport.cam.ac.uk/facilitie...teandgyms.html
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Thank you for my birthday messages those that sent them I had a really good day.

My modding patience is currently stretched beyond its limit.

ReputationRep:
    Screw lab reports, I'm going to file my geology notes barely glanced-at skeleton handouts.

ReputationRep:
    I've done two of my example sheets Even the 'extra fun questions' he put in for Boxing Day! :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    My sister didn't get in
    Ouch. That's gotta hurt, esp. when you as big brother have been showing her 'round and stuff!

I take it she's got plenty of other offers, though?

ReputationRep:
    I've gotten drawn into a silly argument elsewhere on the web. Can whoever (sorry, I forget who it was) who's the resident camchat language-expert tell me:

is 'BBC' an acronym or merely an initialism? And if the latter, what exactly makes NATO or LASER an acronym while BBC isn't? It seems to hinge on how one defines "word" since the definitions for acronym say they have to be initial letters of a phrase forming a new word.

Personally, I see BBC as just as normal and usable a noun as NATO, and don't see why one is a word (and hence an acronym) and the other isn't, but my antagonist seems very sure and I'm beginning to doubt I'm right...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    Thank you for my birthday messages those that sent them I had a really good day.

My modding patience is currently stretched beyond its limit.
    happy belated birthday! x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    I've gotten drawn into a silly argument elsewhere on the web. Can whoever (sorry, I forget who it was) who's the resident camchat language-expert tell me:

is 'BBC' an acronym or merely an initialism? And if the latter, what exactly makes NATO or LASER an acronym while BBC isn't? It seems to hinge on how one defines "word" since the definitions for acronym say they have to be initial letters of a phrase forming a new word.

Personally, I see BBC as just as normal and usable a noun as NATO, and don't see why one is a word (and hence an acronym) and the other isn't, but my antagonist seems very sure and I'm beginning to doubt I'm right...
    You probably want Supergrunch for this sort of thing (although he would probably just say that words mean whatever you use them to mean ), but AFAIK, NATO is an acronym because you actually say it as if it was a word, not as en-ay-tee-oh.

ReputationRep:
    But why? Just because 'BBC's pronounciation uses the letter names rather than their phonetic sounds, how does that make it not a word? It's a noun just the same as NATO, and would be used in a sentence just the same as NATO. Surely how we happen to pronounce it doesn't make the one a word while the other is not...

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I would say they're both words in the grammatical sense, but the definition of acronym uses word to mean "a pronouncable sequence of letters", which "bbc" isn't when the letters are given their phonetical values rather than their names.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    It's closed over the holidays for 3 weeks (or so) - there were signs posted up around the place towards the end of term. I can't quite remember when it's supposed to re-open though...

(Out of curiousity - does anyone know if other gyms in Cambridge stay open over Christmas?)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Ouch. That's gotta hurt, esp. when you as big brother have been showing her 'round and stuff!

I take it she's got plenty of other offers, though?
    Oh yeah, got offers for York, Durham and UEA afaik, all well respected for English. It does now mean that she will have real difficulty deciding which one to go for. And I carefully didn't show her around that much for that very reason :o:

On the plus side the two other people I know who've applied to Cambridge have both got in

And I have had yet another massively unproductive day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by psyche87)
    It's closed over the holidays for 3 weeks (or so) - there were signs posted up around the place towards the end of term. I can't quite remember when it's supposed to re-open though...

(Out of curiousity - does anyone know if other gyms in Cambridge stay open over Christmas?)
    Thanks. That's what i wanted to know. I didn't go there last term, so i missed any notices, and i tried phoning but got no answer so guessed it must be shut - i presume it reopens on monday... i hope...

Re: other gyms, well college gyms are usually open as long as the college is. I guess commercial ones like glassworks or la fitness would be, but they also cost lots of money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    But why? Just because 'BBC's pronounciation uses the letter names rather than their phonetic sounds, how does that make it not a word? It's a noun just the same as NATO, and would be used in a sentence just the same as NATO. Surely how we happen to pronounce it doesn't make the one a word while the other is not...

Acronyms are abbreviations using the initial letters of words, and that is that, though the term can be further restricted to abbreviations which can be pronounced as words (e.g. NATO). Using this more restricted definition of acronym, abbreviations pronounced as a series of single letters (e.g. HTML) are classed as initialisms.

So your antagonist is just being more specific :p:

ReputationRep:
    How arbitrary I got repped for this post... Ah well - can't complain.

I'm really annoyed with a friend of mine. Two days ago out of the blue she asked if I could go to stay with her and her husband for a few nights as they both have Tuesday off work. I explained that I have way too much work (one week before term starts by the time I get back) and I'll only get back to Cam the day before her free day so can't go down tomorrow - would they like to meet me in London for the day (all parties being about equidistance and price from London) So they said that would be too much of a hassel and then sent a seperate later text telling me that 'working life' would be a shock.
    This is after I worked full time for a year, where she's coming up to 6months of it now. And they both went to different Universities where they barely ever did any work - and often told me this.

:reaper: I'm annoyed, but also sad because I don't think they can or will actually understand that I don't have any choice in the matter and that its nothing to do with not prioritising/caring about them :shifty: [/RANT]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    How arbitrary I got repped for this post... Ah well - can't complain.

I'm really annoyed with a friend of mine. Two days ago out of the blue she asked if I could go to stay with her and her husband for a few nights as they both have Tuesday off work. I explained that I have way too much work (one week before term starts by the time I get back) and I'll only get back to Cam the day before her free day so can't go down tomorrow - would they like to meet me in London for the day (all parties being about equidistance and price from London) So they said that would be too much of a hassel and then sent a seperate later text telling me that 'working life' would be a shock.
    This is after I worked full time for a year, where she's coming up to 6months of it now. And they both went to different Universities where they barely ever did any work - and often told me this.

:reaper: I'm annoyed, but also sad because I don't think they can or will actually understand that I don't have any choice in the matter and that its nothing to do with not prioritising/caring about them :shifty: [/RANT]
    :rofl:

Whenever anybody says "working life will be a shock" I just reply "it was". Still, even on the busiest and most stressful days I had at FM it was nothing compared to Cambridge.

And people from other universities always seem to try and make out that they have such a huge amount of work and that I'm just complaining, until I break down my day when they become strangely quiet :p:

Sorry that your friends won't understand though

ReputationRep:
    See, I would just be tempted to be really sarky and text back something like, 'why, have days off become more common since I was full time?' or something more annoyed-sounding..

I'm annoyed that this entire vacation has gone by and I have not done one single, solitary scrap of work. At all. So, not only am I screwed for this term but I brought/posted all my books back for nothing. Bum.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.