Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yet again I have forgotten to apply to the YHA. I've been meaning to fill in the application for weeks but only remember when I am tired and want to go to bed. Sometimes I can be so frustrating :cry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    We have 1.5/week :ninja:, and only 0.66/week next year in politics :ninja:

I had 3 a week in my first year, and 4-5 a week in my second. I only had 3 or 4 in my entire 3rd year though...:P

ReputationRep:
    Hmm I think our technical figure is 1.6 per week, but I basically have 2. Was 4 last year for natsci, which went up to 8 in one particularly stressful week of easter term...

ReputationRep:
    I'm on the three a week visesh had in his first year though occasionally more when one of our supervisors decides he needs two in a week
    I'm not so bothered about that M&S shutting as i never go to the grafton (despite living by downing) i'm just happy the one in town is still open

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Law, maybe? Who knows?
    Don't do it!

(Original post by munro90)
    I'm not so bothered about that M&S shutting as i never go to the grafton (despite living by downing) i'm just happy the one in town is still open
    Ditto. If the one in Market Square closed down I don't know what I would do!

ReputationRep:
    We have four supervisions a week, plus two 5-hour practicals a week and an average of 2 lectures per day Mon-Sat. Now, no other first year can complain of having too much work :p:

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Well I'm only doing one lecture series out of many, so I won't exactly have anything insightful to offer. You should pick the brains of the several Philosophers on this thread. But ditto - when I applied for NatSci it was also one of the things that excited me about the course here
    Thanks, will do

ReputationRep:
    HPS nearly convinced me to do natsci for a further year, but in the end I decided not to as there were no other 1B modules I really wanted to do. (well, maybe animal biology, but definitely not a third) I'd still like to go to some HPS lectures sometime if I ever get the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    We have four supervisions a week, plus two 5-hour practicals a week and an average of 2 lectures per day Mon-Sat. Now, no other first year can complain of having too much work :p:

Thanks, will do
    OK, since that is slightly more than we have (not by that much though) I'm going to change tactics and say that scheduled work =/= total work :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't try and compete with first year natscis for workload, Ukebert - you're not going to win. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I wouldn't try and compete with first year natscis for workload, Ukebert - you're not going to win. :p:
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    OK, since that is slightly more than we have (not by that much though) I'm going to change tactics and say that scheduled work =/= total work :teeth:
    I agree with your new tactic.

But on this point - surely this is all based around the principle that more work = good? I don't think we should aim to compete to have the most contact hours or the most "work" at all, nor should this be seen as something desirable.

/argument

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I think you may be right there :p:

ReputationRep:
    :yawn:
    (Original post by munro90)
    I'm on the three a week visesh had in his first year though occasionally more when one of our supervisors decides he needs two in a week
    'by Downing'? So you live in the King's hostel on Tennis Court Road?

Regarding number of supervisions a week, or lectures - they don't necessarily denote 'more work'. As mentioned in another thread, it means more structure, but someone on an arts course has to impose that structure themselves, and can end up doing the same volume of work. My research project this year only has three supervisions, but its worth 50% of one of my papers, and I started it at Christmas and will be working on it through till May.
    Also for me supervisions have never been a bad or undesireable thing - only the large volumes of work I had to do in preparation for each one was unpleasant. I think it all evens out.

ReputationRep:
    The builders have not yet arrived and I had to wake up insanely early in order to let them in. I am presently struggling with this YHA application. I've never been good at these sorts of things, and "why you want to work for the YHA" is giving me some problems :p:

ReputationRep:
    The builders have not yet arrived and I had to wake up insanely early in order to let them in. I am presently struggling with this YHA application. I've never been good at these sorts of things, and "why you want to work for the YHA" is giving me some problems :p:
    What is this YHA, and why do you appear to be applying for a job when you be leaving for Cambridge in a bit? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    What is this YHA, and why do you appear to be applying for a job when you be leaving for Cambridge in a bit? :p:
    :ahhhhh: Don't get him started!!! :>.<: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    For Craggy's sake (she's jealous) I'll keep it short. YHA is the Youth Hostel Association; after volunteering at a hostel during my gap year I'm hoping to get 2 months paid work in the lake district this summer. Whether or not it'll work out I have no idea.

ReputationRep:
    For Craggy's sake (she's jealous) I'll keep it short. YHA is the Youth Hostel Association; after volunteering at a hostel during my gap year I'm hoping to get 2 months paid work in the lake district this summer. Whether or not it'll work out I have no idea.
    Get a blank piece of paper and jot down some bullet points of things you like about the work, and the perks. It can't be that hard to work out why you want to work there :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Get a blank piece of paper and jot down some bullet points of things you like about the work, and the perks. It can't be that hard to work out why you want to work there :p:
    I can do that, it's wording it such that I seem as though I'm vaguely employable. I may be overthinking this (as usual)

ReputationRep:
    I can do that, it's wording it such that I seem as though I'm vaguely employable. I may be overthinking this (as usual)
    I'm sure you'll be fine. You're pretty eloquent most of the time...

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.