Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm sure you'll be fine. You're pretty eloquent most of the time...
    Not when trying to sell myself My instinct is to self-efface.

And thanks :o:

ReputationRep:
    'by Downing'? So you live in the King's hostel on Tennis Court Road?
    :ninja:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    For Craggy's sake (she's jealous) I'll keep it short. YHA is the Youth Hostel Association; after volunteering at a hostel during my gap year I'm hoping to get 2 months paid work in the lake district this summer. Whether or not it'll work out I have no idea.
    Get a blank piece of paper and jot down some bullet points of things you like about the work, and the perks. It can't be that hard to work out why you want to work there
    damm thats a good idea for a summer job :p: - twas staying at borrowdale only last weekend (honister was closed ). i might well be stealing that in the summer- that is if i have any time for gainful employment around all the other stuff that seems to be lining up
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    We have four supervisions a week, plus two 5-hour practicals a week and an average of 2 lectures per day Mon-Sat. Now, no other first year can complain of having too much work :p:
    i make that 26 hours a week right?
    don't think us medics can quite touch that but i reckon last term on average i did about 22 hours contact time a week (11 lectures 8 hours practicals and 3 supervisions each week) and that doesn't include irregular extras like PfP and PBL- so you're not alone!:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    damm thats a good idea for a summer job :p: - twas staying at borrowdale only last weekend (honister was closed ). i might well be stealing that in the summer- that is if i have any time for gainful employment around all the other stuff that seems to be lining up
    It is, isn't it? :p: I was at Helvellyn April of last year.If I'm really lucky this year then I'll get Ennerdale, that's where I'd like to be.

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:
    I live around the corner from you, and pass your house every day on the way to gym :p:

ReputationRep:
    It is, isn't it? :p: I was at Helvellyn April of last year.If I'm really lucky this year then I'll get Ennerdale, that's where I'd like to be.
    that would be nice!- good striking distance for some nice hills for any days off!
    we took a stroll (ha ha) along haystacks to high stile on saturday- was pushing it a bit for time (got dark about twenty minutes after we got down) but there were some cracking views into ennerdale and over buttermere!:p:

ReputationRep:
    that would be nice!- good striking distance for some nice hills for any days off!
    we took a stroll (ha ha) along haystacks to high stile on saturday- was pushing it a bit for time (got dark about twenty minutes after we got down) but there were some cracking views into ennerdale and over buttermere!:p:

I'd love to do Haystacks again, I haven't been to that area of the Lakes in over 10 years I know the Wastwater area best, as we went there for many years and obviously Ullswater. It's surprising how much you can walk if you have a month with nothing else to be doing :p:

When I was in Cambridge I spend a happy hallf hour in Heffers spreading out OS maps of the Lakes in front of me, working out walks. There is easily enough in Ennerdale to keep me going for a few months :p: Esp since I won't have as much time as I did in helvellyn.

And I have now finally sent that form off :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    My mock test thing is on Wednesday at 9am :indiff:

Now I need to consider whether I can realistically do my plough monday stuff Plus I will probably need to leave Craggy's thing early in order to be *awake* at 9am on Wednesday

I am screwed. I need to pack tomorrow, I'm going into London on Saturday, I'm going into Cambridge on Sunday, Monday is Plough Monday. That doesn't leave a massive amount of time to revise.

*gets out books*

:cry:

ReputationRep:
    How is everyone today? I am terrified about how little I have done, argh! All the stress came to a bit of a head yesterday evening but I feel better today and have had a fairl productive day so far. I'm going to toto read for another hour and then gym and then work till I fall asleep at my desk. What a dull life :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by minimo)
    How is everyone today? I am terrified about how little I have done, argh! All the stress came to a bit of a head yesterday evening but I feel better today and have had a fairl productive day so far. I'm going to toto read for another hour and then gym and then work till I fall asleep at my desk. What a dull life :p:
    I know how you feel. :hugs: I've stayed up until 3 AM the last few nights to get my stats project done (finally finished last night! ), and now I have an economic history essay to do, as well as packing, before going up on Saturday. Oh, and macro revision for a test on Monday. Serves me right for doing virtually no work in the last 5 weeks. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I know how you feel. :hugs: I've stayed up until 3 AM the last few nights to get my stats project done (finally finished last night! ), and now I have an economic history essay to do, as well as packing, before going up on Saturday. Oh, and macro revision for a test on Monday. Serves me right for doing virtually no work in the last 5 weeks. :p:
    Asan ex-economist I can really sympathise.
    -------
    We should plan some kind of TSR meet for this term. I think setting a random date well in advance and telling people to 'be there' is the way to.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    If anyone wants any info on HPS I'm sure I'll be able to provide it. They have many of the most enigmatic lecturers in the uni though, so although I dislike HPS as a subject, I really enjoyed the lectures.

If anyone complains about having more work than me this term I will probably hunt them down and hit them, if I could afford to take the time out to do so.

All the hysterical people in the pooling thread seem to have forgotten that admissions tutors read this forum. It was the hysteria in the pooling thread and the AT's pity on them that first got me outed as being on TSR.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Asan ex-economist I can really sympathise.
    Thanks. What are you studying now?

We should plan some kind of TSR meet for this term. I think setting a random date well in advance and telling people to 'be there' is the way to.
    I agree, trying to change the date and place to suit everyone doesn't really work. :nah:

(Original post by Nina)
    If anyone complains about having more work than me this term I will probably hunt them down and hit them, if I could afford to take the time out to do so.
    :rofl: If you have enough time to hunt someone down then you probably don't have that much work. :p:

(Original post by Nina)
    All the hysterical people in the pooling thread seem to have forgotten that admissions tutors read this forum. It was the hysteria in the pooling thread and the AT's pity on them that first got me outed as being on TSR.
    How so?

On a completely unrelated topic, where in Cambridge are the good places to buy stuff for bop costumes? I still haven't been to one due to a combination of laziness and a lack of creativity.

ReputationRep:
    On a completely unrelated topic, where in Cambridge are the good places to buy stuff for bop costumes? I still haven't been to one due to a combination of laziness and a lack of creativity.
    I've not been to one either, and by all accounts Queens' ones are supposed to be good :p:

I dunno though. The joke shop?

ReputationRep:

There's a costume kinda shop (which is far too expensive) up at the Grafton, well outside, not in the actual shopping centre. But its surrounded by charity shops so you can check there before having to splash out! Its good for face paint etc I spose!

ReputationRep:
    For Bop costumes - Lots of charity shops on Burleigh Street (next to the Grafton centre) or up Mill Road.

Costume hire - http://www.camdram.net/infobase/supp...tume_and_props

ReputationRep:
    There's that joke shop that is somewhere around Magdalene Bridge (I think)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by emilY?)
    There's a costume kinda shop (which is far too expensive) up at the Grafton, well outside, not in the actual shopping centre. But its surrounded by charity shops so you can check there before having to splash out! Its good for face paint etc I spose!
    For face paint, Heffers (Arts and Graphics) on King Street was cheaper than the joke/costume shop I went in to (plus they have a lot of other potential costume material!).

ReputationRep:
    *entering this thread with yet another lame question*

So I have heard about this mystical and awesome filesharing network on Jesus' intranet. Any other Jesuans want to enlighten me?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I've not been to one either, and by all accounts Queens' ones are supposed to be good :p:

I dunno though. The joke shop?
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    For Bop costumes - Lots of charity shops on Burleigh Street (next to the Grafton centre) or up Mill Road.

Costume hire - http://www.camdram.net/infobase/supp...tume_and_props
    (Original post by emilY?)
    There's that joke shop that is somewhere around Magdalene Bridge (I think)
    (Original post by -Matt-)
    For face paint, Heffers (Arts and Graphics) on King Street was cheaper than the joke/costume shop I went in to (plus they have a lot of other potential costume material!).
    Thanks for all the replies. If I can't sort something out after trying all of those places then I'll probably give up for good. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by swird)
    *entering this thread with yet another lame question*

So I have heard about this mystical and awesome filesharing network on Jesus' intranet. Any other Jesuans want to enlighten me?
    I don't think it's limited to Jesus, and I don't think we can post about it here (Nina will get angry). PM visesh, if he doesn't mind.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.