Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    God, I have over 150 books to pack now...
    :lolwut:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Does anyone know how I can send a letter via UMS?
    Um, students aren't supposed to use UMS (some porters are stricter than others about this). You're supposed to use the CUSU Mail Service (which is similar).

Details here http://www.cusu.cam.ac.uk/services/mailservice/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    Um, students aren't supposed to use UMS (some porters are stricter than others about this). You're supposed to use the CUSU Mail Service (which is similar).

Ah, thanks. So I couldn't send mail to a fellow at a college?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer

Thanks a lot! That will save me walking up to Churchill to hand in my Politics essays next term.

And I still haven't finished my History essay, nor started packing. Looks like it's going to be another late night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Ah, thanks. So I couldn't send mail to a fellow at a college?
    Well yes, you just mark it CUSU-MS instead of UMS. It does the same job.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You can use UMS to send stuff to fellows and the like.

Edit: Easy way to remember: CUSUMS is to send to students, UMS is to send to staff.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nina)
    You can use UMS to send stuff to fellows and the like.

Edit: Easy way to remember: CUSUMS is to send to students, UMS is to send to staff.
    I think that technically students are supposed to use CUSU MS for everything going to colleges but as I said above, porters vary in how strict they are about it.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't know we even had a way of posting stuff via UMS... in our college we have a CUSU-MS tray in the porters' lodge, that's it! Then again I've never asked them if I can send via UMS... perhaps if I asked them if I could send something to to a Fellow at another college then they'd let me!

To continue the theme becoming apparent in this thread... packing grumble moan, 8th time I've had to do it since starting at Cambridge, grrr boo, at least I'm nearly finished and it's time to actually go tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    :eek: I already have two suitcases and three boxes, and I've barely packed anything. I've also got three carrier bags of food my mum bought me, so that'll save a tenner that I would've spent on food shopping
    When I moved from my summer residence to termtime residence in September, I had to wait by the taxi rank and pounce on the biggest bad ass minivan taxi I could find. I filled it all the way up too - spaces underneath seats and ceiling included.

ReputationRep:
    I think that technically students are supposed to use CUSU MS for everything going to colleges but as I said above, porters vary in how strict they are about it.
    Really? I didn't realise this. At Selwyn, they have a big box out in the Porters' Lodge which is for UMS stuff, and no one has ever objected to me using it. Plus, I've used it a few times to send things to other students and no one cared.

ReputationRep:
    We don;t have a specific CUSU-MS box, but our mail room has an ICMS box (which I think is the same as a UMS box) which I've used many times before with no problems. This is the first time I've heard of CUSU-MS and that as students, we can't use UMS.

ReputationRep:
    I always use ICMS.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know what anyone's talking about anymore

We sometimes get letters in our pidgeon holes. We sometimes ask the porters to give fellows work for us. Apparently if we ask nicely the porters will frank letters for us. No one has ever mentioned UMS CUS CUSUMS to me before :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm back! But for the last time probably. Back to Cambridge tomorrow and all that, and I doubt I'll be back on here 'till I get home again.

G'bye!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm back! But for the last time probably. Back to Cambridge tomorrow and all that, and I doubt I'll be back on here 'till I get home again.

G'bye!
    'Home' being Cambridge? :p:

Safe journey

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I have a suitcase full of books, a suitcase full of clothes, sheets, pillowcases and duvet go in a duffle bag along with crockery and walking boots, dinghy spray suit etc. Little things that don't fit anywhere else go in my rucksack, then there's just the instruments, of which I am taking 10 this time :indiff:
    :eek: You're a veritable one-man band! Any particularily quirky ones in there?

Also, on the packing front, you guys are lucky - I moved out of my house on the 3rd for like, ever. You think it's hard packing for two months?!

Also also, I've got through over half of my vacation work (minus the essays, we must never speak of them...) in the last two days.
    Par-tay. :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    :eek: You're a veritable one-man band! Any that aren't particularily quirky ones in there?
    Very few :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

Also, on the packing front, you guys are lucky - I moved out of my house on the 3rd for like, ever. You think it's hard packing for two months?!
    Ahem :p:
    How many of your instruments did you use here last term?

ReputationRep:
    And how I must to write there???

ReputationRep:
    My first reaction was 'hey, I could have sworn I didn't phrase it like that!' *self-facepalm*

[This is why not to spend all day on essays about german culture. The brain, it pickles...]

Anyways, how can you actually find time to master this harem of wood, brass & other assorted materials? I struggle to find time enough for one.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.