Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Woo, half way through. 'lunch' time and a chance to sit down

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Strange timing for becoming a boatie :p:
    I've been trying to become a boatie since last June! Somehow, living in London, buying Lucky Duck, moving Lucky Duck (which of course, continues even now we're in Cam) and work have got in the way of my training... But I was determined that I would do it, and not put it off until the weather got better, and I'm glad I've taken the plunge (ahem!) because I do actually really enjoy it. Its pretty cool to have actually found a sport I enjoy and could potentially be good at, after years of seeing myself as 'unsporty'.

ReputationRep:
    Ye gods it's cold here; my poor little heater seems to be struggling against the waves of ice lapping through the room. And I fear I may have to brave the late night eating establishments of Cambridge...

Cool to be back nonetheless.

ReputationRep:
    I'm loving this cold! I feel like I'm finally experiencing a real winter at last! I suppose it helps that the radiator in my room is very good, and being in the attic I collect everyone else's heat. But I like having an excuse to use all my hi tech clothing for a change And it looks wonderful when stuff is icy/frosty/misty...

ReputationRep:
    I have never been this cold in my life.

ReputationRep:
    Well it is the coldest the country's been for 10yrs or something...

ReputationRep:
    that and the fact it doesnt even get cold where I otherwise live :p:

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that's one of the things I love about having left South Africa
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Back, unpacked, and didn't even feel that cold.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Back, unpacked, and didn't even feel that cold.
    I hope it wasn't you making a noise outside of my window :p:
    I presume the people in the street are Pembrokeans 'cos they're on the other side..

ReputationRep:
    Gnargh. I am convinced that everything takes me twice as long as it does other people! :banghead:
    uber rant about my boring day

Today:
    1: Wake up at 11. Drink caffeine. Prepare breakfast. Very sleepily wake up. Have a long bath. Get washing together, find coins for laundry.
    2: Go to Fen court to wash clothes at 1:30 Go to library and start reading Bourdieu. Go back in 30mins to take first washing out of machine and put it in dryer. Return to book. 15mins later return to washing to take second load out of washing machine and into a dryer and put first load on second dryer cycle (ours are crap) Return to book for another 20mins. Go back to washing and take the first lot out of dryer and put second lot in for final dry. Go back to book. Return again, retrieve all the washing. Collect books (its now around 4) go home. Change into MUCH warmer clothes.
    3: Go to Kings. Meet SPS friend for coffee and chat till 6, go home.
    4: Go to the gym round 6:30. Interval training for 40mins. Get home round 7:30.
    5: Housemate returns from vacation simultaneously to my getting back. Chat a bit in hallway. Run upstairs to see how food that college husband has started cooking is going. Chat to him and other friend for a bit. Sort out washing and tidy room. Eat dinner. Clean up. All of this ends at 11pm - I kid you not :hmpf:

Which brings me to now...:banghead:

That is EXACTLY the same as my last term. Literally, every day was like that (except replace gym with TSR and stage 5 with *random club/society*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Surely the limiting factor on robot intelligence right now isn't processing power, is it? Seems very, very unlikely to me - after all, animation companies and medical researchers and climate modellers and so on run massive, enormous server farms to give themselves the processing power necessary, or hire supercomputers, or whatever, but you don't ever hear of AI researchers doing similar. I thought it was more a problem that no-one's quite figured out how to make a program that *learns* without supervision, and obviously trying to program a solution for every situation in advance is a dead end.

And even if processing power is a limitation, and you would need a warehouse full of servers, it's not like they have to be crammed into the robot itself! It can send the inputs - visual, tactile, whatever, information to the computers, let them think about it, then recieve the outputs (signals to move joint motors, etc) in return. Wouldn't need insane amounts of bandwidth, and so could be done over the air rather than needing cables or anything.
    I'm an Engineer, all these things are irrelevant. What really matters is whether it is effective, not whether it merely works. That's why I think miniaturisation is so key. Until you can fit the required number of circuits within a package it is impractical, however well it works.

*digs self out of hole*

Had a good day today, went to boat show, bought lots of things. Now very tired and trying to catch up with lots of TSR stuff. Packing not going well, going up to Cambridge tomorrow c. 1200, only half packed if that. Spent 90 minutes irning this evening :hmpf:

Arrgh

ReputationRep:
    What were you ironing? I almost never iron :p:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    That is EXACTLY the same as my last term. Literally, every day was like that (except replace gym with TSR and stage 5 with *random club/society*
    Oh dear. Not setting a very motherly example :p:

ReputationRep:
    What were you ironing? I almost never iron :p:

Oh dear. Not setting a very motherly example :p:
    T-shirts and trousers. I'm not sure why I did it, I only iron at home

And yeah, it's all hereditary, meaning that I can blame you

ReputationRep:
    Today was a write off. I was cuddling a hot water bottle in pain all afternoon and then went to the library for three hours this evening. So much for writing the essay tomorrow :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    What is a "hot water bed"?

ReputationRep:
    And yeah, it's all hereditary, meaning that I can blame you
    Nah I think we should club together and blame college's ridiculous tumbledryers!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    I hope it wasn't you making a noise outside of my window :p:
    I presume the people in the street are Pembrokeans 'cos they're on the other side..
    Uh, I don't think so. :ninja: But it may have been others coming back from the pub, I don't know. Anyway, what am I doing up at 1.30? Time for bed. :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    What is a "hot water bed"?
    It would be a typo, but clearly it was just my painkiller-blasted brain... meant to say 'bottle'

ReputationRep:
    Nah I think we should club together and blame college's ridiculous tumbledryers!
    Don't get me started :hmpf:

Have they fixed the two that were broken last term?

It would be a typo, but clearly it was just my painkiller-blasted brain... meant to say 'bottle'
    Ah, sorry to hear that you have been in need of them (apologies if I missed that post) Headache?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.