Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've been here forever and I still think I'm too stupid for this place. Don't expect the feeling to go away kids :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Not exactly, but kind of. During the admissions process, I was expecting to get an offer as I thought I was good enough to be here. Now I'm here I do feel like that they must have made a mistake as everyone else is so much better than me. :o: Considering that they haven't sent me packing yet I think you'll be OK.
    This. I didn't feel like that until I came, but once term started I've grown doubts whether I really deserve to be here. (Part of that stems from my having relatively little 'passion' or love compared to everyone else about my subject - but that's another kettle of fish....) I think a lot of people find it initially difficult because they were used to being the very large fish in a small pond during school, then they suddenly find themselves in a huge sea with lots of huge fishes and unsure about just how good everyone else is. I think it's important to get used to the idea quickly that you're likely to be just average, and stop trying to be a perfectionist/be the best/learn everything as you would have done during school. (Now, I need to implement my own advice.)

(Original post by Shadow of a Dream)
    Me too - it doesn't help that I'm such a "homely" person - all I could think when I woke up this morning was "I want to go home", but then reason tells me that I'd regret it for the rest of my life if I did give up, and I know deep down, I couldn't actually bring myself to. I think you're right though - when I actually get back into the routine of lots and lots of work, I'll be more distracted, and won't really have a chance to feel quite this homesick. Sorry to rant!!
    Not a rant at all - in fact, I could've typed that exactly! I'm a very home- and family-oriented person too. In some ways, the start of this term is harder than michaelmas - last term, there were all the excitement and expectation about the unknown uni life, plus all the Freshers' week stuff to distract you. 5 weeks at home during all the festivities have made me appreciate home so much more that I was ambivalent about coming back. There were some aspects of Cambridge life that I really missed though, so I'm sure I'll be settling back down quick enough.

ReputationRep:
    5 weeks at home during all the festivities have made me appreciate home so much more that I was ambivalent about coming back. There were some aspects of Cambridge life that I really missed though, so I'm sure I'll be settling back down quick enough.
    Yes, I didn't realise quite how homesick I actually was until I got home, strangely enough. It was quite hard coming back here but I've been back for a week now and things are starting to fall into place.

This. I didn't feel like that until I came, but once term started I've grown doubts whether I really deserve to be here. (Part of that stems from my having relatively little 'passion' or love compared to everyone else about my subject - but that's another kettle of fish....) I think a lot of people find it initially difficult because they were used to being the very large fish in a small pond during school, then they suddenly find themselves in a huge sea with lots of huge fishes and unsure about just how good everyone else is. I think it's important to get used to the idea quickly that you're likely to be just average, and stop trying to be a perfectionist/be the best/learn everything as you would have done during school. (Now, I need to implement my own advice.)
    Hmm, I was going to say that but you've put that much better than I would have done. It's what I spent most of last term realising and it's a very useful life lesson. And about the passion for my course thing, I find the idea of doing work and learning languages very appealing but the reality is always somewhat disappointing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by etp)
    This might be the wrong thread, but it seems a bit silly to make a new thread on it but:

Did any of you feel that you were accepted by mistake? I feel that when I turn up in October, I'll be the dumbest person there and they'll realise what a horrific mistake they've made and send me off packing! I honestly feel that there has been a blunder, no way could have I been accepted on purpose
    I generally force myself not to think that, it's a slippery slope. My philosophy attempts to be that the admissions cycle was a far off mysterious time that nobody really understands about and thus there is no point dwelling on it.

I am back in Cambridge

*so happy* :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I'm packing, my plane is leaving in 7 hours, and I'm having a "I'd rather stay at home than going back to Cambridge" moment .
    I'm feeling like that at the moment too.

And also the realisation that I haven't done much work this vacation has just hit... Yikes!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've just got back, it was made much more interesting that when Rich tried to pick up my suitcase, the handle and the whole of the back of the suitcase came off in his hand. Oops.

(Original post by Excalibur)
    Not a rant at all - in fact, I could've typed that exactly! I'm a very home- and family-oriented person too. In some ways, the start of this term is harder than michaelmas - last term, there were all the excitement and expectation about the unknown uni life, plus all the Freshers' week stuff to distract you. 5 weeks at home during all the festivities have made me appreciate home so much more that I was ambivalent about coming back. There were some aspects of Cambridge life that I really missed though, so I'm sure I'll be settling back down quick enough.
    Snap, again! In theory this term should be easier, as we're not in a completely new place, not knowing anyone at all. But, you're right, I think it is just as hard (albeit in a different way), as there seem to be fewer distractions to keep the homesickness at bay, plus (as you said) all the reminders of how much I love home and my family, compared to the comparative loneliness here. But, like you, I know I do love it here - I really enjoyed last term once I'd got properly into it. So hopefully this'll fade fairly quickly. I kept thinking this morning that I had no idea how I'd survive eight weeks, but I guess eight weeks isn't actually all that long - my best friend will be doing 12 weeks at Cardiff this term! It's just reassuring to know that I'm not the only one - everyone else here seems so glad to be back (not that I'm not glad, in some ways) and so settled, I'd thought it must have just been me! Sorry for another long post about this - will endeavour to drop the subject!

ReputationRep:
    Where I was living during the three years before I came to Cambridge (Andover) was so awful, that nothing here could ever make me wish to be elsewhere. Fortunate I guess.
    I miss my parents and brother sometimes, but its *them* I miss, not South Africa, or some metaphysical location called 'home' (which no longer exists for me)

(Original post by Nina)
    I've just got back, it was made much more interesting that when Rich tried to pick up my suitcase, the handle and the whole of the back of the suitcase came off in his hand. Oops.
    :rofl: Sorry :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Edit: Scipio where are you?
    Been rowing all week, so only brought up a bag of clothes with me, hence no internet. Have computer in my room now, have just managed to catch up on the thread, so will resume spamming ASAP :p: Plus have discovered opposite sex to be more interesting than the internet >_>

Also, won't be able to make your birthday thing, sorry There was I chance I might have been able to, which is why I've waited before replying, but it turns out I can't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Been rowing all week, so only brought up a bag of clothes with me, hence no internet. Have computer in my room now, have just managed to catch up on the thread, so will resume spamming ASAP :p: Plus have discovered opposite sex to be more interesting than the internet >_>

Also, won't be able to make your birthday thing, sorry There was I chance I might have been able to, which is why I've waited before replying, but it turns out I can't.
    :eek:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I just got my lecture timetable for this term and it rivals a science students :bawling: How I'm going to get all my work done is beyond me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    :eek:
    :hifro:

ReputationRep:
    Mine isn't looking that bad, although I do have quite a lot of labs to go to.

ReputationRep:
    I have something like 3 lectures a week this term...

ReputationRep:
    Good grief Supergrunch. You have less than half my number of lecteres - I didn't realise this was possible :p:

Ah yes. Have tracked the blossoming relationship on facebook :teeth:
    And don't worry about it - I'm sure I'll see you at the next TSR meet.

ReputationRep:
    Don't worry Craggy, I'll be there. I won't abandon you. Though it looks like the restaurant in question is going to be rather full given the number of respondents

ReputationRep:
    Ah yes. Have tracked the blossoming relationship on facebook :teeth:
    omg Craggy is stalking me!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Don't worry Craggy, I'll be there. I won't abandon you. Though it looks like the restaurant in question is going to be rather full given the number of respondents
    Yeh, I might have to see about a booking. Wagamamas as a chain doesn't do them, but apparently the Cambridge branch does if you ask nicely. I chose a Tuesday night on the hopes that it would be less busy than other nights of the week :dontknow: It was originally Monday, but some people weren't back yet.
    Btw are you bringing your girlfriend? :teeth:

omg Craggy is stalking me!
    Nah that would be an invention called the facebook 'home feed' :dry: Although I've recently discovered the option titled 'less about x friend', which at least allows me to hope that it will at some point in the future desist from showing me so much stuff I don't want to know about :rolleyes:

(present company excepted of course :p:)

ReputationRep:
    Argh! I just incurred major bank charges by not paying attention

On a more frivolous note, my facebook event finally has the same number of confirmed guests as the age I'm reaching :p: It was stuck on 22 for days :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Argh! I just incurred major bank charges by not paying attention

On a more frivolous note, my facebook event finally has the same number of confirmed guests as the age I'm reaching :p: It was stuck on 22 for days :rolleyes:
    Speaking of banks: I forgot my PIN! Arrrrrgh! And I didn't keep it on paper because 1) you're not supposed to and 2) I never forget numbers that I use every now and then. I obviously didn't take the five week holidays into account.

Does anyone know whether HSBC will send me a new one and whether it will cost anything?

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.