Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    You remember I said the other day about my suitcase falling apart? Here's the suitcase:

I've also managed to burst a blood vessel in my eye :mad:

ReputationRep:
    aww, i just had a boy who i taught on a summer school in july (and hadn't been in contact with since) ring me up for advice on his a-level exam tomorrow. made me feel loved.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Does anyone know where there is free parking in Cambridge (preferably reasonably secure) My college is rubbish
    Cranmer Road and Adams Road just off Grange road (near Selwyn and Robinson respectively) are pretty good. I've used Cranmer Road for over 2.5 years now and have had no problems. Might be useful if you're over in Harvey Court.

ReputationRep:
    Yep, I'd say that suitcase is no more :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Talking of Sainsbury's, does anyone know where the little packets of cooked chikken tikka and so on have vanished to? They used to be in the middle of the first aisle past the vegetables, but from sometime last time they were no longer to be found there. After fruitlessly searching I decided they were sadly no more, but then I saw some in the reduced section, so they must be somwhere. But where?
    They are in a fridge next to the first deli section immediately to the right of the entrance - before you even get to the veggies.
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Does anyone know where there is free parking in Cambridge (preferably reasonably secure) My college is rubbish
    The reason nobody has a car in central Cambridge is because there's nowhere to put it :p: You can't bring your car in and then expect us envious creatures who'd love to have cars help you find a way to solve the unsolvable :p:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    I love Max Weber's Profession and Vocation of politics sooooo much!!!! I want to do a dissertation on it.

Easily the best text of all the ones we do this year.
    You're making me wish I read it now I didn't have any time for it last year! My father gave me a fantastic tome of Social Theory though, which has an overview of absolutely everything So I'll look it up in there. My favourite last year was Imagined Communities, and all the stuff I had to do for Marx in Anthropology (as well as Marx itself) However things are mostly a million times better a year onwards after they've slotted into place with the wider context.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    The kids I babysit broke my apple earphones, so now I have to use a crappy pair with rubbish sound quality :dry:
    How can you tell the difference from the Apple ones then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    How can you tell the difference from the Apple ones then?
    I'm confused. I can tell by listening to the same music with different earphones :p: The non iPod ones I'm using don't have the same clarity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I :love: this game, or at least the concept. Considering buying it.
    Don't. I downloaded a copy from bittorrent (there's no demo available and I wasn't paying until I knew it's any good!) and it's really not worth money.

Every single puzzle can be solved in the same very easy way. The idea behind it is great, and the physics clever, but the level design is just crap so it gets boring very fast.

My little sister loves it though, especially with a graphics tablet instead of a mouse

ReputationRep:
    I'm confused. I can tell by listening to the same music with different earphones :p: The non iPod ones I'm using don't have the same clarity.
    I was trying indirectly to say that the iPod earphones are really crap anyway...

ReputationRep:
    Oh and minimo, get your earphones off've amazon or play.com...much cheaper than high street. Personally I find those rubbery-grommet style ones that push right into your ear really comfy, and that style definitely won't fall out at the gym. Sony do some nice ones for about £15-20 I think.

ReputationRep:
    If you want to spend a little bit more for nice sound quality and sound reduction, I recommend the Creative EP-630 earphones, which you can get for about £20. They're in-ear, so like earplugs, which can take a bit of getting used to but ultimately means much nicer bass, hardly any leaking, lots of external sound reduction, and no falling out of your ears. In my opinion they're better than most of the cheap cans, let alone other earphones.

Edit: Tom's describing the same kind of thing above.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, that's the type I mean. Sony, Creative, or if you want to spend some more money, Shure or Sennheiser should all give good quality.

ReputationRep:
    I'm with tom, I can't stand the Apple ones :p:

I like ones that go over your ear, rather than in it, I need to buy some new ones but don't want to spend any money :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I have an interview
    When? Good luck with it .... how scary is an interview for postgrad at Cambridge anyway? Do they wheel in an expert and expect you to get really into detail about your subject, or is it more a general one?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Congrats Athena! :hugs: when are you coming over? We'll have to meet up

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    I was trying indirectly to say that the iPod earphones are really crap anyway...
    You should know by now that indirectness only leads to complication and confusion with me! :rolleyes:
    (Original post by Athena)
    I have an interview
    w00t! :five:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I like ones that go over your ear, rather than in it, I need to buy some new ones but don't want to spend any money :o:
    I think those look lame :p: - but I'm thinking of taking Tom's advice and buying some decent earplug ones.

ReputationRep:
    I think those look lame :p: - but I'm thinking of taking Tom's advice and buying some decent earplug ones.
    Look?! Why would I care about what something looks like? :p: Nah, I find that my ears hurt after a while with those plug things in.

And congrats Athena, I completely missed that post When is it?

EDIT: It is now nearly 12.5 hours since I first stepped into the Library

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Nah, I find that my ears hurt after a while with those plug things in.
    I find my ears hurt after a while with the ones that go around my ears rather than in...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Neither my DoS nor my tutor have emailed me to organise beginning of term meetings. I've got new ones for both this term, so I don't know what to do. I don't really want to go all the way to Emma just to see if there's a sign up sheet for meetings with my DoS .

And none of my supervisors are emailing me back
    Don't have time to read through all the other pages to see if anyone else has offered to do this, but do you want me to check the sign up sheets/sign you up brimmy? All the DOSes seem to have them so I could quite easily try to relay the information to you They're just on big boards in Emma. PM me or something if you like

ReputationRep:
    Back in my room after around about 13 hours work, with probably near 3 hours break :o:

Feeling more optimistic than I expected actually. It's still going to go catastrophically bad, but I should get more than 10% :p:

Now to curl up with a book. I need to get into the habit of waking up at 8am without feeling physical pain due to lack of sleep as per the usual :dry:

And Yves Lambert is cheering me up. Craggy, check your pigeon hole I put a Terry Pratchett in it for you to borrow to pay you back for last term.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.