Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Meh. I had a very light term until my Father's visit. Not even three weeks left: certainly liveable.

I really shouldn't be on TSR :vroam:
    I know. I was thinking last night, and, due to the fact that I sometimes only have a three day week, four max (of timetabled stuff ofc) I only have 11 days of lectures etc left. My word, this term has gone fast. And I can't believe it's almost week 7. I remember when I arrived someone was talking about 5th week blues (which I have thankfully escaped!) and I didn't think I would ever make it to week 5!

It's quite scary really. Especially since we have orals in April, and it means we only have about 9 more supervisions before then. That's just plain terrifying!

ReputationRep:
    Just in case anyone with better things to do than follow every post in this thread missed Excalibur's post, voting for TSR formal is here. http://www.doodle.com/participation....9pf7wi2bwav7fy

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Just in case anyone with better things to do than follow every post in this thread missed Excalibur's post, voting for TSR formal is here. http://www.doodle.com/participation....9pf7wi2bwav7fy
    Ooh, thankyou. I would have completely missed that! I really want to come, cos I still havent met hardly any of you, but it looks as if I wont be able to

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauuuura)
    It's quite scary really. Especially since we have orals in April, and it means we only have about 9 more supervisions before then. That's just plain terrifying!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)

:hugs:

Well, about that amount anyway. Another one or two this term and then only 8 next term.

I know, its pretty scary. I feel like I've hardly started here, and exams are already looming. How is that possible?

And I still think they made a mistake with me. And I'm not being melodramatic, I'm deadly serious. :o:

ReputationRep:
    So, if anyone fancies procrastinating, have a go at this.

Try:

y ert rew wry tre ert y r ww
    t uo iuy ry tre ert y r ww

or:

ddd ddd dgasd
    fff ffdd ddd s s d s
    g

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

Well, about that amount anyway. Another one or two this term and then only 8 next term.

I know, its pretty scary. I feel like I've hardly started here, and exams are already looming. How is that possible?

And I still think they made a mistake with me. And I'm not being melodramatic, I'm deadly serious. :o:
    Well loads of people feel like that. The great thing is that you'll never know if it was a mistake or not, so unless you discover anything to the affirmative you might as well make the best of it, and you might surprise yourself. Once you get through your first set of exams you'll feel less apocryphal about it next year. I know sooo many people who were terrified of 2.2s and came out with decent 2.1s last year. Its not like you're not working.
    Anyway the number of supervisions left is the wrong way to look at it. You have to remember that the easter holiday and easter term are a really long stretch of time, in which you can brush up on everything and tie together all the loose ends. Everything comes together nicely. I found myself really enjoying areas I'd hated during the revision months

ReputationRep:
    Well loads of people feel like that. The great thing is that you'll never know if it was a mistake or not, so unless you discover anything to the affirmative you might as well make the best of it, and you might surprise yourself. Once you get through your first set of exams you'll feel less apocryphal about it next year. I know sooo many people who were terrified of 2.2s and came out with decent 2.1s last year. Its not like you're not working.
    Anyway the number of supervisions left is the wrong way to look at it. You have to remember that the easter holiday and easter term are a really long stretch of time, in which you can brush up on everything and tie together all the loose ends. Everything comes together nicely. I found myself really enjoying areas I'd hated during the revision months
    That's very reassuring!

I can see what you mean about the grades thing though - in our Use of French (grammar basically) we have had to do some short pieces, which could effectively have been for A Level, and I have had no idea how to make them 'Cambridge standar'. So, I've just done what I can and come out with high 2.1s which is encouraging. Shame translations aren't as friendly!

ReputationRep:
    That's very reassuring!

I can see what you mean about the grades thing though - in our Use of French (grammar basically) we have had to do some short pieces, which could effectively have been for A Level, and I have had no idea how to make them 'Cambridge standar'. So, I've just done what I can and come out with high 2.1s which is encouraging. Shame translations aren't as friendly!
    I have to rewrite one of my Use of Spanish pieces I really shouldn't be here... (Although I get on better with translation - maybe we should share brains or something).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I have to rewrite one of my Use of Spanish pieces I really shouldn't be here... (Although I get on better with translation - maybe we should share brains or something).
    Brain sharing sounds like a great idea!
    Although we don't do any of the same languages so I'm not sure it would work...if you want to fail, I will quite happily rewrite your spanish for you! My spanish knowledge goes as far as being able to order two bedrooms and saying then i am fantastic/terrible! One of my friends tried many a time to teach me spanish, but I was never quite sure whether what she was teaching, was actually what it was supposed the be! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what its like in other disciplines, but in SPS the first year seemed to be about setting a demanding workpace in order to teach us to work efficiently, but really having quite light expectations of our academic performance come exams. That might just be my impression though. Expectations will have gone up this year, I should think, but this is accompanied by more realistic workloads.

And if you want reassuring, just go to the old Cambridge Chat thread and read from start. I was extremely stressed out for all of last year, and frequently came online like this :stickyman: after a week averaging 2.5hours of sleep :p:

ReputationRep:
    Crags, have you read Roland Barthes' Mythologies? Just wondering coz you're a sociologist and all and I need a teeny bit of help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Crags, have you read Roland Barthes' Mythologies? Just wondering coz you're a sociologist and all and I need a teeny bit of help...
    I covered some of his basic ideas for an Anthropology essay last year. What can I help with? You'll probably be wanting to do some broad reading on Structuralism, and de Saussure? Supergrunch might be familiar with this too.

ReputationRep:
    Just seen my Grandma I should probably feel bad that it's taken me 6 weeks to get round to visiting her, when she lives 10 minutes away.

And I now have 5 weeks worth of structures to go :o: Ward, here I come.

ReputationRep:
    Crags, have you read Roland Barthes' Mythologies?
    Oh no, he's invaded TSR now !

Sorry Minimo, it's just that the French department love Barthes, especially the death of the author theory, and he gets mentioned in every lecture and every supervision til we can't take him seriously anymore!

And Laura, can you please tell me your secret for Use of French? My marks have been going steadily downhill this term and they were never high 2.1 standard anyway!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Just seen my Grandma I should probably feel bad that it's taken me 6 weeks to get round to visiting her, when she lives 10 minutes away.
    I usually see mine twice during term, and then more frequently over holidays.

ReputationRep:
    Ugh, I feel like I've bitten off more than I can chew with this diss. It could go well, or very badly

ReputationRep:
    No I don't have anything unfortunately. What you should do is go to the Arch and Anth website and download the pdf for first year Social Anthropology lectures. The lectures are arranged around themes, and each theme has a reading list attached, which is the best place to find relevant reading sources. Also download the SOC1 paperguide for SPS Part II. Structuralism is part of our course, so there are corresponding readings. Other than that, have fun with wikipedia, Stanford encylopaedia and Jstor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    So, if anyone fancies procrastinating, have a go at this.

Try:

y ert rew wry tre ert y r ww
    t uo iuy ry tre ert y r ww

or:

ddd ddd dgasd
    fff ffdd ddd s s d s
    g
    This is actually quite hilarious. My keyboard is making the weirdest noises :p:

Owen sounds revolting

All of the themes that I know ccan't be played in Ionian

Damn you keybored Shift sharpens the note. I now have to turrn my laptop off or I will be here all day

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Crags! I shall do that. Fun times aheadd.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.