The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 5140
Supergrunch
It was awesome when we had a lecture discussing intensification of adjectives with the affix "-ass," and someone asked if you could say "tight-ass" and the lecturer was like "yes, as in tight-ass ************." (hmm, that'll probably be ruined by the swear filter, but it was great - suffice to say it's an Oedipal insult, but here used somewhat postively)

Had to be done.
you had a whole lecture on -ass?

James is in London today, lucky bugger! Some teaching exposition at Olympia. Meanwhile i have a whole day of work followed by ergs.:mad: actually i'm quite looking forward to it although i suspect this says more about the sheer boringness of my job.,
Scipio90
Had to be done.

Yep, it made me think of that - I'd send it to him, but he reads xkcd already. :p:
scarlet ibis
you had a whole lecture on -ass?

Well, more like 20 minutes or so. It's amazing how complex the rules are for whether or not you can add -ass to something.
Reply 5143
Supergrunch
Well, more like 20 minutes or so. It's amazing how complex the rules are for whether or not you can add -ass to something.

Such as?
Scipio90
Such as?

Well, one syllable words are fine (sweet-ass), but three syllable words are no good (or shaky, at best - try "ignorant-ass," and if you can find any words in the right register that are four syllables they'd probably be even worse). Some two syllable words are okay, whereas others aren't, and it seems to be the position of stress in the word that has something to do with determining this. A rough rule is that words with stress on the first syllable are okay (ugly-ass), whereas those with stress on the second can't (legit-ass), but there are exceptions to this.
Happy birthday Craggy!! :party:

I've already done loads of work today. So I'm quite pleased. I might try and make a habit of this 9am malarkey!

Pub quiz at the Union on Sundays, anybody free/fancy it?

PS I :love: my avatar
Reply 5146
FadedJade

I've already done loads of work today. So I'm quite pleased. I might try and make a habit of this 9am malarkey!

I think I'm going to the Tit Hall june event launch party this week but yeah I'd be totally up for it if more people came. I suck at general knowledge butttt I reckon it would be jokes.
Reply 5147
oh this is not good, it seems like I won't be able to swap ... I literally have no idea what I'm going to do
FadedJade

Is it still on? They took it off the termcard.
Reply 5149
smilepea
oh this is not good, it seems like I won't be able to swap ... I literally have no idea what I'm going to do

any chance of degrading and coming back next year with a new subject? :frown:
smilepea

The exam entries were week 6 of Mich, so you're stuck doing whatever you're entered for for now, but they should let you switch into another subject next year as long as you catch up/prove your worth.
smilepea

:console:

What did your DoS say? It looks like you may have to stick on this year and transfer :s-smilie:
The West Wing
Is it still on? They took it off the termcard.

It's moved from Monday to Sunday, and its now fortnightly instead of weekly. It was in the email I got this morning, and in my termcard that I got today?
FadedJade
It's moved from Monday to Sunday, and its now fortnightly instead of weekly. It was in the email I got this morning, and in my termcard that I got today?

OK I didn't get an email or a termcard, I was basing it on this:

http://www.cus.org/termcard/
Reply 5154
I don't think I could cope with another term like last one ... and the idea of degrading just makes me feel ill, I wish I'd said something earlier :frown:
smilepea
I don't think I could cope with another term like last one ... and the idea of degrading just makes me feel ill, I wish I'd said something earlier :frown:

I wouldn't beat yourself up about that, what's done is done. I do hope that it all works out for you :s-smilie:
I've emailed the Union to ask.
Reply 5157
I just wish I liked my course ... then this wouldn't be a problem
Reply 5158
One of my friends left today :frown: I feel pretty crap.
Gesar
One of my friends left today :frown: I feel pretty crap.

:hugs:

Right, I must tell you all it wasn't my fault that I have a lifetime ban from The Anchor. :p:

And in good news, despite the fact that my position on the JCR as LBGT officer is pointless and has no real work aside from organising formal swaps and meeting hot guys, I still get a free formal dinner and brunch with the Master :biggrin:

Latest

Trending

Trending