Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    No worries :cool:

ReputationRep:
    Oh.. try things like the Blackwell Introduction to Social Theory. OUP. They have it in SPS and probably at your college library.

ReputationRep:
    One of my friends designed a group of us on www.elfyourself.com and sent me the link. I just wasted half an hour, it's hilarious!

Anyway, back to reading.....I've done 10 minutes of work so far today :no:

ReputationRep:
    I've long known that green tea is the best thing for long term concentration, but I don't really like the taste of plain green tea. I've just discovered the 'William Tell' green tea and apple blend at First Class Teas - its amazing :love: And it has been helping the concentration quite a bit

*passes jcb a steaming cup*

ReputationRep:
    hhh hhh hkfgh jjjjj hhhhhgghgk hhh hhh hkfgh jjjjj hhhhkkjgf

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I've long known that green tea is the best thing for long term concentration, but I don't really like the taste of plain green tea. I've just discovered the 'William Tell' green tea and apple blend at First Class Teas - its amazing :love: And it has been helping the concentration quite a bit

*passes jcb a steaming cup*
    Ooooh, thank you! My ability to concentrate is ridiculously bad, I'll need to head down there and buy some.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    hhh hhh hkfgh jjjjj hhhhhgghgk hhh hhh hkfgh jjjjj hhhhkkjgf
    Past stress and through to the other side of insanity?

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what its like in other disciplines, but in SPS the first year seemed to be about setting a demanding workpace in order to teach us to work efficiently, but really having quite light expectations of our academic performance come exams. That might just be my impression though. Expectations will have gone up this year, I should think, but this is accompanied by more realistic workloads.

And if you want reassuring, just go to the old Cambridge Chat thread and read from start. I was extremely stressed out for all of last year, and frequently came online like this :stickyman: after a week averaging 2.5hours of sleep :p:
    Oh, ok.

2.5 hours? Although thats hardly surprising, considering how you and many others post so much while I'm asleep!
    I could not survive on 2.5 hours. 6 is about my minimum!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Ooooh, thank you! My ability to concentrate is ridiculously bad, I'll need to head down there and buy some.
    Its loose tea, so you'll need a strainer. They sell cup sized strainers there, and also at Whittards. I think the Whittards ones are cheaper and work better. Also experiment with how long you stew it for/how many leaves you use before judging it. It tastes disgusting if you get it wrong, but amazing otherwise. And you're welcome.

Right. Work, and shortly gym for the first time in.. um.. I can't remember :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lauuuura)
    6 is about my minimum!!
    Me too, I feel like I have died when I have less than 6 hours sleep. If I don't get 8+ hours I am ridiculously tired the next day.....meaning I am ridiculously tired most days. Good job I like coffee.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, ok.

2.5 hours? Although thats hardly surprising, considering how you and many others post so much while I'm asleep!
    I could not survive on 2.5 hours. 6 is about my minimum!!
    Well its more like I had two all nighters in a week, two 5-6hour nights and one or two catch up days or something. My work came in three huge spurts of four essay deadlines within 8 days in my first Michaelmas. It would be something like Wednesday, Friday, Monday, Monday... so literally impossible.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)

And Laura, can you please tell me your secret for Use of French? My marks have been going steadily downhill this term and they were never high 2.1 standard anyway!
    I have no idea! I'm quite confused now, especially since I think I'm in the bottom class (which I was a little surprised about since I thought my grammar etc was pretty good and I thought the test went well, but anyway). I've just been trying to write about the points mentioned in the question and including subjunctives and things. I really don't know how to make it different form A level though :o:

ReputationRep:
    Well its more like I had two all nighters in a week, two 5-6hour nights and one or two catch up days or something. My work came in three huge spurts of four essay deadlines within 8 days in my first Michaelmas. It would be something like Wednesday, Friday, Monday, Monday... so literally impossible.
    Woah...mml is nothing like that , well my options arent - doing linguistics for both has meant only one essay so far, and one more due in on tuesday. Although, I'm a little worried since people are saying they were told by the colleges and DoS not to do two linguistics papers, and were even advised against doing one

ReputationRep:
    Past stress and through to the other side of insanity?
    Keybored

I have just fallen asleep over my books in Ward. AND I had a good 9 hours last night.

ReputationRep:
    Although, I'm a little worried since people are saying they were told by the colleges and DoS not to do two linguistics papers, and were even advised against doing one
    All depends on what options you want to take in part IB and part II.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Keybored

I have just fallen asleep over my books in Ward. AND I had a good 9 hours last night.
    Is it 8 hours since you woke up?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Is it 8 hours since you woke up?
    6 hours

ReputationRep:
    How are you breaking it down/starting?
    Well, according to my supervisor, there's only one good Development Economics course in the country, which is Oxford, so that seems like a good start! Other than that, I think I'll apply for the Economics MPhils here and at Oxford. I suppose I should consider some other unis too, but I really don't want to live in London, which rules LSE and UCL out.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    6 hours
    Hmm, strange. You're meant to crash after 8 hours or so. I know I usually do. Perhaps 9 hours is just too much sleep for you :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Hmm, strange. You're meant to crash after 8 hours or so. I know I usually do. Perhaps 9 hours is just too much sleep for you :p:
    It has never been in the past Nomrally if I didn't get 9 hours I would be good for nothing the following day.

Maybe I have some incurable disease that will make them give me a first for no work. *lives in hope*

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.