Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    That's what you get when you try to get out and have fun while you should be working on multiple assignments/example sheets/etc :p: .

Nah, j/k. When are you going to be 18? I also have a coursemate who isn't 18 yet.

<-- is 21. :ninja:
    36 days... 17 hours... and 24.. 23...22... seconds :ninja:

ukebert... i fully sympathise.. i am currently in the library.. staring at a blank sheet of paper trying to write an essay (which i had already spent a good two hours at home trying to write)... but still can't even find a decent structure..

ReputationRep:
    Ahem... Is anybody interested in a Peterhouse May Ball ticket?
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Happy birthday Craggy! If you see this, check your pigeon hole sometime today
    Thankyou :hugs: The magnet caption was very apt :yep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    I don't think I could cope with another term like last one ... and the idea of degrading just makes me feel ill, I wish I'd said something earlier
    Why does the idea of degrading make you feel ill? Does it make you feel like a failure, or are you just really not keen to leave your college? Perhaps you could degrade but live and work in Cambridge and still take part in all of your social stuff? Just remember that its only Lent that you'd really be sacrificing. In Easter everything goes underground!
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I haven't known you for nearly as long :p: Lidka gave me my 16th piece of rep :o: K.T. gave me my fourth and Craggy my 10th :p:
    Lol, is that a subtle hint for poor Gesar? :p:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    So, anyone want to tenuously faff out a date for the next meet?
    Already have :dry:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Craggy, where is the SPS tea room?
    Go in at the arch (off Free School Lane) Go up one flight of stairs. Turn left. Keep going... down a really long passageway which descends two steps and eventually ends at a staircase with a few doors next to it, one of which says Tea Room on it. Btw don't be put off by a random tangential passage at right angles from the leftwardly direction which can be identified by having loads of grad pigeon holes and filing cabinets. Once you get here just keep going straight past it.
    Apart from anything this is it for me, I know that people do drop out and reapply somewhere else, but I just couldn't face that all over again, another gap year and so on. If I muck this up I have no idea what I will do, seriously. I am very very low at the moment. It's very very frustrating.
    ...The other thing is this essay. I've had a miserable afternoon of it trying to finish it, failed miserably. I have no realised that it although it is due in by 1pm tomorrow, I have lectures and labs from 0900 to 1300 anyway So yeah, it'll be a long night and an early morning. Very early. If I was feeling less depressed then I'd skip ceilidh band, but that I cannot face.
    If you need effective painkillers tonight, text me!
    (Original post by jcb914)
    ukebert - is 52% really that bad, especially for a mock? You'll have a decent idea of how much revision you did and if you know for a fact that you could have worked harder then try not to worry too much. I was struggling like crazy during michaelmas and lent of my first year, and then things just started to "click" after easter. In Lent I literally didn't have a clue for 2 of my papers. I went into the exams feeling completely unprepared but still came out with a decent 2.1. Things often aren't as bad as you think they are. You've still got 2 terms - plus the whole of the easter vacation - to get things nailed down.
    Exactly. I was so stressed last year and when it got to Easter, suddenly I had the freedom and time to sit down and connect all the dots, and everything 'clicked' as jcb mentioned!
    (Original post by Apagg)
    This is making for a depressing read at the moment. Don't worry if you're finding your course difficult at the moment. I really struggled in the early part of the year and did fine in the end, Cambridge is just a steep learning curve, that's all. To be honest I think it's a bad idea for colleges to subject students to exams when they get back after Christmas- no one wants to revise over Christmas and it prevents you working on particular areas you've been stuck on. Whatever comes of these exams, ignore it, you'll do far, far better in the summer. As with A levels, much of it lies in getting your technique right - they're a different style of exam from what you've done before, and the examiners are after different things. When the summer rolls round, just plough through every past paper on offer and you'll do fine.
    :ditto:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    Pencil a date in the early part of February into your diaries, people- there's a trip to see Avenue Q!
    Anyway of merging this with Athena's visit? *sigh* Too many things and I won't be able to make them all
    We're all a bunch of miseryguts at the moment aren't we
    Not me :o: I've just had a wonderful day :ninja: Thankyou so much for the messages/cards/chocolate/presents everyone! :hugs:
    Also if someone put anonymous Bellina chocolates in my pigeon hole - thankyou!!! :love:
    I got an awesome new water bottle that I'd wanted for ages but couldn't buy for myself because I didn't 'need' it. Two Oxfam unwrapped goats for Africa A lovely rubbery blue iPod cover with a velcro strap for gym (finally) money, a rose plant, a pashmina and a pretty cup and saucer I went to my first two lectures today, which meant waking up too early and feeling pretty rubbish most of the day... but in between lectures we went to see two art exhibitions at Clare Hall and the Scott Polar Institute, and then we cooked an awesome dinner with an amazing gooey chocolate pudding :coma: And watched the DVD Eyes Wide Shut gave me

Oh and ukebert - were the chocolates from you? I left the house and went to check the Plodge a second ago in case I'd missed something :o:

Zoe: sorry I couldn't say hi properly on Tuesday! I was about to go into a 'Steering Meeting' and too many people were demanding my attention just then :o: Hope the insomnia and work madness improves soon :flowers:

ReputationRep:
    possibly if there's more than one on offer, crags! Glad to hear you had a good day.

I am going to bed. I feel a cry coming on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    [COLOR="DeepSkyBlue"]
    If you need effective painkillers tonight, text me!

Exactly. I was so stressed last year and when it got to Easter, suddenly I had the freedom and time to sit down and connect all the dots, and everything 'clicked' as jcb mentioned!

Not me :o: I've just had a wonderful day :ninja: Thankyou so much for the messages/cards/chocolate/presents everyone! :hugs:
    Also if someone put anonymous Bellina chocolates in my pigeon hole - thankyou!!! :love:
    I got an awesome new water bottle that I'd wanted for ages but couldn't buy for myself because I didn't 'need' it. Two Oxfam unwrapped goats for Africa A lovely rubbery blue iPod cover with a velcro strap for gym (finally) money, a rose plant, a pashmina and a pretty cup and saucer I went to my first two lectures today, which meant waking up too early and feeling pretty rubbish most of the day... but in between lectures we went to see two art exhibitions at Clare Hall and the Scott Polar Institute, and then we cooked an awesome dinner with an amazing gooey chocolate pudding :coma: And watched the DVD Eyes Wide Shut gave me

Oh and ukebert - were the chocolates from you? I left the house and went to check the Plodge a second ago in case I'd missed something :o:

Glad to hear that you had a wonderful day :p:

And I really don't know how you do it. That goes to all the other people who have too write essays late at night. I am getting absolutely nowhere. It is a terrible piece of work but I don't know how to fix it. My hat goes off to you all

And my painkillers worked perfectly, but they didn't wake me up as much as I hoped :sad:

And I actually have something for you, I just haven't quite got round to shoving it in your pigeon hole :o: So yeah, fail on my part, as always.

ReputationRep:
    That goes to all the other people who have too write essays late at night. I am getting absolutely nowhere. It is a terrible piece of work but I don't know how to fix it. My hat goes off to you all

im getting nowhere with my french law essay... why do people even bother getting married?

smilepea, honestly, dont worry about degrading if thats your problem, you're much better enjoying your course, and just missing out on a couple of months of student decay... and, even if you're degrading, you can still play for CUWRF...

for some weird reason... they didn't want me to change from law to compsci..:rolleyes:

btw, which position do you play?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    possibly if there's more than one on offer, crags! Glad to hear you had a good day.
    Probably only one, but if ukebert feels like collaborating with me, that's two. (we are forced to buy two tickets or none.)
    (Original post by minimo)
    I am going to bed. I feel a cry coming on.
    :console:
    Glad to hear that you had a wonderful day :p:

And I really don't know how you do it. That goes to all the other people who have too write essays late at night. I am getting absolutely nowhere. It is a terrible piece of work but I don't know how to fix it. My hat goes off to you all

And my painkillers worked perfectly, but they didn't wake me up as much as I hoped :sad:

And I actually have something for you, I just haven't quite got round to shoving it in your pigeon hole :o: So yeah, fail on my part, as always.
    Aww! You've been having quite a day of it, so pigeonholing doesn't exactly sound like the most important thing to be done right this minute! :hmmm:
    And no - painkillers are usually known for soporific qualities, not the reverse :p:

As for all nighters - well it helps if you can sleep through to the early afternoon or early evening the next day rather than go to lectures! This was a feasible option for me in first year, where I wasn't really finding all of the lectures that helpful. This year lectures are both fantastic and mostly very useful as well as being pretty important.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I can be bothered with the May Ball. It is very expensive and I would probably hate it. There are so many things I would rather spend the money on.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure I can be bothered with the May Ball. It is very expensive and I would probably hate it. There are so many things I would rather spend the money on.
    That's fair enough. I've not been to a real May Ball yet, so I'm using this one as a yardstick. I know I'll regret it if I don't go to any during my time here, and it makes sense to go to ours...
    Even if I do like it I suspect I won't be shelling out for another one though.

ReputationRep:
    :console:
    Aww! You've been having quite a day of it, so pigeonholing doesn't exactly sound like the most important thing to be done right this minute! :hmmm:
    And no - painkillers are usually known for soporific qualities, not the reverse :p:

As for all nighters - well it helps if you can sleep through to the early afternoon or early evening the next day rather than go to lectures! This was a feasible option for me in first year, where I wasn't really finding all of the lectures that helpful. This year lectures are both fantastic and mostly very useful as well as being pretty important.
    I have :hmpf: Worst day of this term easily :teeth:

Mine have caffeine in them, but I think they just make them "not sleepy" rather than "keep you awake".

Yeah, tomorrow is not going to be nice. I'm hoping to be done by 3am and...

wait. crap. What time does the computer room open?

And if I skipped lectures I might as well leave now :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Happy birthday Craggy! If you see this, check your pigeon hole sometime today
    Also if someone put anonymous Bellina chocolates in my pigeon hole - thankyou!!!
    Mystery solved?

ReputationRep:
    Sherlock

ReputationRep:
    Well yeh that was basically my point: the reason you can't comprehend doing all nighters is because you have to be up at 8 or whatever every day, and your body is fixed in a set rythym. My bedtime can be found somewhere on a five hour spectrum in any given week Its just a different life!
    I
    Mine have caffeine in them, but I think they just make them "not sleepy" rather than "keep you awake".
    So do mine, but the codeine still knocks me for 6! :coma:
    wait. crap. What time does the computer room open?
    Presumably 9 like the library, but if not - there's the library.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Mystery solved?
    I'll have to ask her - but the card Excalibur gave me was not attached to the chocolates and it had a magnet inside it, so I assumed that was it. But conceivably yes

ReputationRep:
    Well yeh that was basically my point: the reason you can't comprehend doing all nighters is because you have to be up at 8 or whatever every day, and your body is fixed in a set rythym. My bedtime can be found somewhere on a five hour spectrum in any given week Its just a different life!So do mine, but the codeine still knocks me for 6! :coma:

Me too. The life of a PPSISer/arts student is very different in Cambridge. We can actually get up whenever we want and stumble to lectures or not and then open our books and sit in the library or do whatever. It's very tough to orgainse yourself. I'm trying to improve at it.

ReputationRep:
    Well yeh that was basically my point: the reason you can't comprehend doing all nighters is because you have to be up at 8 or whatever every day, and your body is fixed in a set rythym. My bedtime can be found somewhere on a five hour spectrum in any given week Its just a different life!So do mine, but the codeine still knocks me for 6! :coma:

Bugger. Given that I need to hand the damn thing in before 9, printing it out could well be a problem

ReputationRep:
    What the hell am I going to do? I have no printer. If the computer room does indeed open at 9 I am screwed. There isno way that I can print it out, go to Mill Lane, find the right office, go back to Engineering and get into the lecture theatre all in the space of 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Me too. The life of a PPSISer/arts student is very different in Cambridge. We can actually get up whenever we want and stumble to lectures or not and then open our books and sit in the library or do whatever. It's very tough to orgainse yourself. I'm trying to improve at it.
    The only thing that works for me is [trying to] bully supervisors into supervising at regular intervals by contacting them all very early on in term and suggesting set dates for the term. Making all supervisions happen on the days with the most lectures bunched up, and slotting in all social activities and practical things like laundry and shopping into those days, and then using the days with large gaps of free time to relocate myself, my laptop and a pile of books into our library and stay there - only briefly going out for hall and then returning - until kicked out by college. (I sit in a bit of the library with no internet points and work offline)
    What the hell am I going to do? I have no printer. If the computer room does indeed open at 9 I am screwed. There isno way that I can print it out, go to Mill Lane, find the right office, go back to Engineering and get into the lecture theatre all in the space of 5 minutes.
    You can use my printer I guess. When are you likely to finish it?

ReputationRep:
    You can use my printer I guess. When are you likely to finish it?
    I just about have

And that would be really kind of you :o:

ReputationRep:
    I just about have

And that would be really kind of you :o:
    Well email it to me and then come over to 22 Fitz. Ring my mobile - don't use the door buzzer.

ReputationRep:
    Have done so

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
A-level students - how do you feel about your results?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.