Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    2 pages :lolwut: ... call this an essay!?

And 'lalalaethicslala'? :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    Ah, although my moobile has decided that this is an appropriate moment to run out of charge :dry:

And yes, don't mock it :sad: It was a pain to get through. Don't read it either, it is terribly written.

And I always give my essays silly filenames

ReputationRep:
    Well I don't know which doorbuzzer is mine - so you may wake someone. How about I open the door at twenty to?

ReputationRep:
    EDIT: cross posted. YEah, that'd be good.

ReputationRep:
    Hooray!!! I've finally done everything I had to before sleeping :rolleyes:

*collapses* :goodnight:

Btw if anyone's bored - can you think of some way in which my font colour and avatar can coexist without clashing so horribly? :puppyeyes: Sig and username colour can change, but after four years I feel it would be near sacrilegious to lose the colour...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Zoe: sorry I couldn't say hi properly on Tuesday! I was about to go into a 'Steering Meeting' and too many people were demanding my attention just then :o: Hope the insomnia and work madness improves soon :flowers:
    No problem, I wasn't exactly in a position to have a massive chat myself, as I was standing on a staircase balancing a tray with friend and boyfriend walking off! Was nice to see you though Insomnia appears to have left me alone for the time being, work madness not so much. I have a Russian conversation class in 17 minutes and am still in my dressing gown

ReputationRep:
    Well, I've handed in that essay. Glad that's over. Feeling absolutely shattered though.

ReputationRep:
    Hmmm, 8 minutes to walk to Sidg.... Clearly not going to happen :p:

Did anyone else go to the Union last night? It was quite a good debate, save for Dr Lee Elliot Major (who is apparently Director of the Sutton Trust) whose arguments seemed to centre on the premise that if you went/go to a school which is neither private nor a grammar, has children on free school meals and children who don't all get 5 a*-c's at GCSE, then you are somehow "not alright" and will never do well in life - certainly couldn't get to Oxbridge. Love how this includes me and all of my old school... :rolleyes: Apologies for a rant (esp so early in the morning) - was just one of the most annoying things I've heard, and one of the few times I've actually been addressed here upon the assumption that I went to a very expensive school, where everyone goes to Oxbridge and I couldn't possibly understand anything else. Rant truly over now, sorry.

Hope everyone has a lovely day - mine will consist of lots of reading, and then probably a hunt for something to adapt my existing clothing into a bop costume by tonight...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)

Also if someone put anonymous Bellina chocolates in my pigeon hole - thankyou!!! :love:
    That was indeed me! I forgot to attach it to the card - sorry for the mystery :p: and glad you liked it & had a nice day

(Original post by Shadow of a Dream)
    Did anyone else go to the Union last night? It was quite a good debate, save for Dr Lee Elliot Major (who is apparently Director of the Sutton Trust) whose arguments seemed to centre on the premise that if you went/go to a school which is neither private nor a grammar, has children on free school meals and children who don't all get 5 a*-c's at GCSE, then you are somehow "not alright" and will never do well in life - certainly couldn't get to Oxbridge. Love how this includes me and all of my old school... :rolleyes: Apologies for a rant (esp so early in the morning) - was just one of the most annoying things I've heard, and one of the few times I've actually been addressed here upon the assumption that I went to a very expensive school, where everyone goes to Oxbridge and I couldn't possibly understand anything else. Rant truly over now, sorry.
    Hmm, that seems a pretty ridiculous thing to say - what was the debate on? Surely there must have been some counterarguments put forward for that! In any case, there are loads of people who were in similar situations and would agree with you (myself included!).

ReputationRep:

Hope everyone has a lovely day - mine will consist of lots of reading, and then probably a hunt for something to adapt my existing clothing into a bop costume by tonight...
    wow i didn't think anyone could still be so stuck in the past! I'm quite worried such an idiotic man is the director of something as important as the sutton trust! I wish i'd gone now rather than sit around watching movies.

on a more positive note- 40 minute lecture this morning!! even more time vailable to waste on TSR- now guilt free!:p:

ReputationRep:
    But I thought Oxbridge was ~50:50 on private:state intake?
    (that probably doesn't take grammar schools into account, but if the statistic is remotely accurate, it still means he's overlooked a pretty large minority!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    But I thought Oxbridge was ~50:50 on private:state intake?
    (that probably doesn't take grammar schools into account, but if the statistic is remotely accurate, it still means he's overlooked a pretty large minority!)
    I think it's closer to 60:40, actually (state:indepedent).

Meh, I should be working... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but the proportion of non-grammar state schoools is much much lower... Can't remeber what, but i remmeber seeing the stats at some point.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah but that isn't surprising right? Because if you lived in an area where there are no grammars, presumably the people getting in would be at the grammars if they were available?

ReputationRep:
    Well, i thought that originally becuase i lived in an area where ther were loads of grammar schools around. But i think there are quite large parts of the country that hardly have them, and they should put the percentage up somewhate, but son't apparently.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    Well, i thought that originally becuase i lived in an area where ther were loads of grammar schools around. But i think there are quite large parts of the country that hardly have them, and they should put the percentage up somewhate, but son't apparently.
    I didn't even know what a grammar school was before TSR (I always assumed it was a pseudonym for private school!) :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Gr...in_England.png

That's apparently a map of where grammar schools/concentrations of grammar schools are. I didn't know it was that small an area either until I looked it up a couple of days ago. I think I've also read some stats once that seem to indicate the percentage of state school students drawn from grammar schools is higher than would be expected based on number of grammar schools, might be making that up though... I guess if you're at a grammar school, you're in an environment with lots of people who have good academic ability or a good work ethic, and there's likely to be a higher proportion of potential Oxbridge candidates so your school will be more geared to encouraging you to apply and such.

(Original post by FadedJade)
    Yeah but that isn't surprising right? Because if you lived in an area where there are no grammars, presumably the people getting in would be at the grammars if they were available?
    That's probably true, but not in all cases. There are grammar schools in my area - I didn't go to them because everyone who applied to take the eleven plus from my primary school had been tutored for at least a year - one girl's Mum had paid for her to be tutored since the age of eight (lessening the extent to which it's a test of intelligence/potential)!! But, that said, the local girls' grammar schools don't tend to get that many into Oxbridge either (although admittedly more than my school, which, on average, has one every decade or so!).

Thankfully his debating partner on the opposition was a lot more sensible - I appreciate that it probably is less likely to do all of the things mentioned if you are from a poor family, or don't go to a "top" school, but I was just appalled by the suggestion that it was utterly impossible, and the implied "them and us" divide. At my old school, there are, for example, children who enter year 7 unable to read - but I don't think that this somehow makes them "not alright" - yes, they might not go to Oxford or Cambridge, but so what? Sorry to end up ranting slightly again - I was just so annoyed by his opinions, and that he thought that this would be somehow ok to argue - and surely proposing some kind of solution (as his debating partner did) would have been much more constructive? Anyway, rant finally over :o: Back to reading...

ReputationRep:
    we don't have any grammar schools in Cheshire, as far as I know. There are certainly none in my area anyway. I'm glad I didn't go to the union last night- I probably would have ended up punching the guy!!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.