Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    nah, i only watch each series once, you lose the 'omgwowjacktotallydidnotkillthat guybybitinghisneckandseveringhis jugular' factor if you rewatch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    nah, i only watch each series once, you lose the 'omgwowjacktotallydidnotkillthat guybybitinghisneckandseveringhis jugular' factor if you rewatch

24 is so addictive. Sometimes it's really stupid and you end up thinking, "Oh come on, this is, like, the seventh time in the last 10 minutes when he actually could have killed the bad guy but let him escape by doing something completely dumb", but you still have to watch the next episode to see how it goes on . Sadly (luckily?) I don't have a TV over here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)

24 is so addictive. Sometimes it's really stupid and you end up thinking, "Oh come on, this is, like, the seventh time in the last 10 minutes when he actually could have killed the bad guy but let him escape by doing something completely dumb", but you still have to watch the next episode to see how it goes on . Sadly (luckily?) I don't have a TV over here.
    all i can say is...

watch tv sitcoms!

(google will be your friend )

yay another 24 fan :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Well, two of my fav shows are airing their new season premieres tomorrow, so that's pretty exciting (for me) :teeth: Sadly, that's in the US... but I've already seen the FOTC premiere, & it looks like another awesome season. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    which two are those?

I watch far too much TV

ReputationRep:
    The L Word (kinda like SATC) and the Flight of the Conchords - hence FOTC (comedy about NZ musicians in NY).

In other news, I have finished 1,013 words of my essay & it's not even midnight yet! Ah, it's good to be back...

ReputationRep:
    I am addicted to CSI New York and CSI Miami (and love CSI, although not quite addicted).
    Really enjoy House, as well.

(CSI New York and Miami, I will download the new episode the day after it comes out... whereas I'm not quite as keen with House ...:p: )

ReputationRep:
    ahh I've heard good things about the L Word.

I watch CSI Miami when I'm home for the summer. Local TV always does reruns.

ReputationRep:
    Grr, missed maths this morning, and there appear to be no lecture notes on Camtools Now I'm either going to have to get up on tuesday thursday and saturday, or forever remain ignorant about differential equations...

ReputationRep:
    im so hungry

ReputationRep:
    I have had hobnobs.

ReputationRep:
    ugh, i just gave in and ate crisps. why can't i stick to my goddamn diet? I was doing SO well. You'd think paying stupid amounts of money for a gym membership would convince me not to binge. But no.

gksjdgksdgkjsdgkjsdkgjsdgkjsdgkj sdgksjdkgsjdgsjdgksdjksdjgsdkgjs

At least I've stopped now.

ReputationRep:
    'Calm down dear, it's only a small slip-up!' [/advert paraphrasing]

My eating plan this term is to cook for myself more, so it actually tastes of something (although admittedly usually soy or chilli sauce) & to buy as many fresh fruit and vegetables as possible. I'm too cheap to let them go to waste, but when I've filled up on them I don't have much room for unhealthy snacks Double win.

Also, despite my Irn-Bru caffine rush fading over half an hour ago, 'luckily' my next-door-neighbour is having a party in her room, so I couldn't sleep even if I wanted to give up on the essay. Which I don't... back we go!

ReputationRep:
    * jumps around in happiness *

I have just finished french family law forever :yep: :proud: :ymca: :bumps: :cheers: :danceboy:

now .. starting inchoate offences... and quoting my lecturer "last year you would have had an easy time, but unfortunately for you guys, the governemnt intervened... and well... i stop there otherwise i might say something i will later regret... anyway... on behalf of any half decent lawyer... i apoligise...":shifty:
    this is scary...

ReputationRep:
    Well done! I'm on the conclusion of my German history essay, which is, somwhat bizarrely, also my longest yet... ?!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the book and rum truffle ukebert :love:

I saw the lights when I went to Sainsburys at about 7:30. Sainsburys was insane. Even the staff were pushing eachother out of the way

A last word on the whole protest debate (I got whisked off earlier)
    The point isn't whether or not protests actually effect change, or which of Israel or Palestine has the right. The issue is protesting in general. It is the only thing that citizens can do to make their opinions known in certain areas, and its better than doing nothing. However pessimistic one is of the outcome or sceptical of the cause, it is terrible to condemn or be intolerant of an exercising of democratic liberty when all it is costing you is mild discomfit and adjustment! I'd be willing to bet nobody would squeak a word against the protest if it was demanding more funding for cancer or Alzheimers or something.
    South Africa is certainly a different scenario, where at least the populace seemed to be engaged in current issues. Now, not only will people find ways of telling themselves there's no point, and nothing anyone can do, but will also feel resentful at those who are doing what little they can for a range of phenomenally petty (in the light of the issues to hand) and hastily assembled reasons!
    Protests are good because it brings the reality of the contentious issue to our front doors. Its not the far off shell-stricken Gaza in the photos on the BBC any longer, but - oh crap there are real Palestinians with placards marching past my college! :eek: Of course the majority won't give a damn, but the background awareness that there are people in our society that organise themselves and do 'stuff' whatever that stuff is, overcomes a massive activation energy barrier in our minds because if we ever did want to do anything democratic we'd know that there would be people to do it with. I just hope they don't sputter and die out thanks to the choking apathy and strong avoidance of anything that reminds us of the need to be a collective rather than a happy self contained individual! :motz:

(Original post by K.T.)
    Essays, plural? Eeek.
    SPSers sometimes have four essays at a time :shifty:
    (Original post by minimo)
    ugh, i just gave in and ate crisps. why can't i stick to my goddamn diet? I was doing SO well. You'd think paying stupid amounts of money for a gym membership would convince me not to binge. But no.

gksjdgksdgkjsdgkjsdkgjsdgkjsdgkj sdgksjdkgsjdgsjdgksdjksdjgsdkgjs

At least I've stopped now.
    I feel your pain. I'm surrounded by about a ton of chocolate :o:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry to jump on this, but I can't leave that unchallenged!

(Original post by craggy)
    The point isn't whether or not protests actually effect change, or which of Israel or Palestine has the right. The issue is protesting in general.
    Paraphrased, then, you're saying you're protesting for protest's sake - which pretty much sums up why a lot of use have responded so negatively to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Sorry to jump on this, but I can't leave that unchallenged!

Paraphrased, then, you're saying you're protesting for protest's sake - which pretty much sums up why a lot of use have responded so negatively to it.
    The other day I protested because I strongly disagreed with Israel's actions in Gaza.
    I would never protest if I didn't have strong views behind it that I felt were not being voiced in any other way.
    So either I'm misunderstanding your point or I'm disagreeing with you.

I'm defending public protest as a civil right and as an activity which raises awareness, increases the chances of people engaging with an issue (especially when someone they know gets involved) or considering the possibility that they could personally *do* something (be it protest or donating money to a cause)

I believe alongside Eye and Catsmeat that incidences of violence are not representative of the full picture, and as I described earlier I have firsthand experience of the media strongly distorting an event through their portraying of it.

And I'm saying that if people cannot register public opinion any other way, by what other means do you suggest that they try to direct the government's decisions? Groups that organise protests are usually also very active in arranging petitions and suchlike.

EDIT: The post that you quoted should be paraphrased as such:
    "We didn't start this discussion to debate whether the protest in Cambridge today was for a good cause or whether it would bring a change in Gaza. We started it because some of you were grumbling about protests and I challenged you for being irritated and intolerant of a positive and necessary societal function."
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wasn't overly impressed with the light and sound show, the 'light' was essentially a Powerpoint on Senate House and the 'sound' was a set of bells.

On the other hand, I went to our bop for the first time and it was really fun. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I wasn't overly impressed with the light and sound show, the 'light' was essentially a Powerpoint on Senate House and the 'sound' was a set of bells.
    Yeh I didn't bother stopping. The crowds were too off putting

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.