Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by squeezebox)
    Why do i insist on writing out my examples sheet in neat!! It's taking agggggggeeeeeeessss.
    :sadnod:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    You can make up for that lost time by using Mathematica to do (parts of) your examples sheet.
    Unfortunately, Mathematica's idea of how the solutions to y' = (1-y)(2-y) look like differs quite significantly from mine . I am pretty sure I am right, though, maybe I'm just too stupid to use Mathematica correctly.

ReputationRep:
    Y__, if you don't mind me asking: how much did you pay for Mathematica, or do Cambridge provide it?
    I paid nothing . You can download it at the DAMTP webpage. Which example sheet are you working on?

ReputationRep:
    w00t, why did i not know this?? *Goes off to download*

I'm writing up v&m 3, but its taking too long: when I work on examples sheets i just do squiggles on paper and say to myself: "yeah, I'll do that later" - I should change that sometime. What are you ment to be doing?
    DE2, it's due in tomorrow 4pm and I haven't done a lot so far, but the ones I did were reasonably easy, so I guess I might be able to finish them by tonight and then write it up neatly tomorrow (I know, it does take a lot of time, but if I just handed in my rough work, 1) my supervisor would not be happy and worse, 2) when I would have a look at it again next term I probably wouldn't know what I did anymore ).

Oh, and the heating is broken once again. And the shower is still dripping (which is not too bad during the day, but kind of annoying when you're trying to sleep). And that's what I pay 90 pounds a week for. :motz:

(Original post by K.T.)
    My news: I proposed to my college wife today :yep: With chocolate cake.
    Congratulations I'm jealous of everyone else's romantic proposals - mine was more an agreement with my fiance at our bop - not as romantic as I'd've liked... :p:

I have officially decided I will not write any more of my essay today - I've already spent c.9 hours on it, so I'm afraid it's going to have to wait until tomorrow to have its last few paragraphs...

Hope everyone else's work is ok/everyone that was having crises has had them resolved

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    So are you doing Li1 or Li2? If so, I may have been in lectures with you. (doing Li1, went to a few Li2 lectures)

With regards to structuralism - all I really know is de Saussure, which is mostly quite linguisticy (unsurprisingly), but led to the development of semiotics and structuralism.
    I'm doing Fr1. Lectures on thurs afternoons?

Edit: I just noticed you're from Herts too! Although, its quite a big place - whereabouts? (If you don't mind me asking!)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shadow of a Dream)
    Congratulations I'm jealous of everyone else's romantic proposals - mine was more an agreement with my fiance at our bop - not as romantic as I'd've liked... :p:
    Well, she first agreed to the arangement in Sainsbury's, which was also rather 'unromantic', so while walking past Fitzbillies' today I decided to do it properly... there's still time for you too, you know!

Talking of Sainsbury's, it's time for my weekly shop! :creep:

ReputationRep:
    Sainsburys isn't crowded atm K.T., go now :p:

It annoys me that my perception of how my work is progressing can be reduced ffrom average to bloody awful in a matter of hhours :rolleyes: Tonight I am shattered and not feeling well, so I'm doing the easy thing that is in for 9am monday instead of the two more difficult things that are in for later on Monday or the difficult thing for wednesday.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, so are you going to marry anyone ukebert? You'll have to act pretty quickly. As far as I remember everyone randomly and instantly got engaged in Week 6 last year and I only realised after it had already happened. I was very nearly damned to Old Maidhood :hmpf:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Well, according to my supervisor, there's only one good Development Economics course in the country, which is Oxford, so that seems like a good start! Other than that, I think I'll apply for the Economics MPhils here and at Oxford. I suppose I should consider some other unis too, but I really don't want to live in London, which rules LSE and UCL out.
    I see. My situation is similar - Cambridge has the best Masters course. I have no idea where to begin with finding backups though Oxford isn't even in the top 20 for Sociology, and like you I don't want to live in London.
    Meh. *tries to commune with her inner genius*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Hmm, so are you going to marry anyone ukebert? You'll have to act pretty quickly. As far as I remember everyone randomly and instantly got engaged in Week 6 last year and I only realised after it had already happened. I was very nearly damned to Old Maidhood :hmpf:

I see. My situation is similar - Cambridge has the best Masters course. I have no idea where to begin with finding backups though Oxford isn't even in the top 20 for Sociology, and like you I don't want to live in London.
    Meh. *tries to commune with her inner genius*
    Marry?! But that would spoil my debonair, bachelor image :p: Right. Yeah.

Probably not, for the simple reason that I can't think of anyone that I really know well enough to marry. I'm not too bothered tbh, I'm not wild about having to pay for some gluttonous sprog at the Chop House :dry:

And surely you don't need to worry about Masters yet?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Marry?! But that would spoil my debonair, bachelor image :p: Right. Yeah.
    You could always go the Peterhouse way and marry a bloke
    Probably not, for the simple reason that I can't think of anyone that I really know well enough to marry. I'm not too bothered tbh, I'm not wild about having to pay for some gluttonous sprog at the Chop House :dry:
    Oi! The only reason we're willing to pay for someone's dinner is 'cos we know they'll do the same for their future children :security:
    And surely you don't need to worry about Masters yet?
    Of course I do. Good academic record increases my chances of gaining a place, and funding. Remember that us poor Social Scientists have to fight and claw over the few and badly funded positions/opportunities available to us. Not like, oh .. say..engineers who have life handed to them on a plate :flute:
    Also my department is really small. I might as well try my best to make a good impression while I'm here if I want them to take me back again

ReputationRep:
    I went to Waitrose today. I will never got to buttery again.

It's week 6 already. Argh...

ReputationRep:
    Well if CPF doesn't want his room invaded by randoms, y'all know how much I love playing hostess :p:

I know I always moan on here but this time I'm posting a happy. I just had a lovely dinner out with my friend from home.

ReputationRep:
    You could always go the Peterhouse way and marry a bloke
    My previous comments still stand

Oi! The only reason we're willing to pay for someone's dinner is 'cos we know they'll do the same for their future children :security:
    Some people are doomed to be forever bachelors/spinsters remember

Of course I do. Good academic record increases my chances of gaining a place, and funding. Remember that us poor Social Scientists have to fight and claw over the few and badly funded positions/opportunities available to us. Not like, oh .. say..engineers who have life handed to them on a plate :flute:
    Also my department is really small. I might as well try my best to make a good impression while I'm here if I want them to take me back again
    My point was that surely you don't have to start thinking about where to apply yet, just to concentrate on getting a first :p: Oh hang on, do you apply this year?

And :hmpf: You are of course quite right though :p: Even better a much less percentage of people go onto postgrad in Engineering than in something like SPS. Although I'll probably still be competing with as many people as you, all miles cleverer than me obviously :dry: *sigh* life would be so much easier if I was a genius, although for every solution to a problem a new problem would spring into its place.

When I start actually thinking about the things that I post I know that it is time to do some work.

ReputationRep:
    I hear York is good for sociology...my big bro did politics masters there

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Helen

Lol. You're right that I don't have to apply this year, just get cracking with my work

And Lidka you're mad :eyeball: Waitrose takes 40mins on foot and about 45 by bus (surprisingly) Its not exactly a feasible option and its about 25% more expensive than Sainsburys. I do go once in awhile - usually over the holidays to splurge on some extra nice stuff, but its certainly a major hassle.

ReputationRep:

Lol. You're right that I don't have to apply this year, just get cracking with my work
    Course I'm right :dry:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    Back from Sainsbury's; I bumped into some people I know going out for the night, while I was wearing trackpants with a hiking bag full of food on my back...

But who cares about fun when there's 1300 words on Freud to be written before sleep :teeth:

:/

ReputationRep:
    FTB is a legend by the way, he lent me a book on steam trains weeks ago, which is now providing 80% of my information for my presentation on monday :p:

ReputationRep:
    AAAaaaarrrgh

I have discovered that representing a Westinghouse Air Brake system as a flowchart on a single powerpoint slide is bloody hard. It is even harder with a stupid trackpad instead of a mouse.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.