Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Right, it seems to be a spate of mass PM's. The mods won't be pleased, it'll be slowing the site down. Why I didn't get one though I don't know, there doesn't seem to be much correlation between subs and non-subs.

ReputationRep:
    anyone fancy coming to a launch party for an opera on Feb 1st? I'm helping out with publicity etc so will have to go but don't know many people there so it will be torture for socially-inept me, so some friendly faces will be good :p:

I'll invite you to the FB event if you are!

ReputationRep:
    WHO SUBBED ME????

thank youuuu! I shall buy you a an alcoholic or nonalcoholic drink of your choice at the next meet

ReputationRep:
    Which opera?

Probably won't be able to make it mind.

ReputationRep:
    Tchaicovsky's Eugene Onegin

That's OK, I'll just make friends with the wine bottle or something :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Yes, I loved the Castellanos lecture, shame I won't actually be studying her. What question are you doing for the Cien Anos essay, Zoe? I loved studying that book last term. Am currently trying to make an effort to analyse some Moliere but it's so dull!
    I'm not sure if I'll be studying her either Depends what my supervisor fancies I suppose, but I'm not sure feminist poetry is something that particularly interests him. My question is 'Time in 'Cien anos de soledad' is not linear, but cyclic or circular' - I love being able to pick my own questions because I get fantastic ones like that. Obviously there's tons to write about, but organising my thoughts has proved tricky - like the novel, everything links in with everything else :p:

(Original post by lavalse)
    lol zoe you always seem like a much more enthusiastic student that me!!
    i am actually interested in this essay all about the marginalisation of women in Castellanos' poetry, and i do actually like her poetry, AND found the lecture interesting (i only fell asleep in the 2nd half, which is a miracle for me). its just i hate writing essays soooooo much, and i just prefer to read the poetry rather than analyse it. if it were possible i would have done 2 ab initio languages and avoided essay writing!

as helen said i was with my brother visiting family in Australia, then we backpacked around NZ and finished off the trip with a visit to LA! so no, not faculty funded! Im hoping they'll fund me to go to the middle east for 2 months this summer, what about you? any trips planned?
    Haha, I'm really not, just have a bit of a love affair with Hispanic poetry :p: I don't really mind the essay writing, I just wish I had the time to do it properly and think things through. At the moment I have half a mind on my Russian poetry and half a mind on Cien anos. I like having one post A level and one ab initio - when you're feeling rubbish about not knowing any Russian you can go and read some Spanish and feel better because you understand it, but equally when Spanish is getting too icky you can go and take comfort in some hardcore grammar learning

Oooh wow, sounds great though! And the Middle East, wow, you're brave... My dad's a diplomat in Kuwait at the moment I'm hopefully going to Granada for a week at Easter and St Petersburg for two or three weeks in September Can't wait!

ReputationRep:
    That reminds me, I need to try and decide what I'm doing this summer :ninja:

:vroam:

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if I'll be studying her either Depends what my supervisor fancies I suppose, but I'm not sure feminist poetry is something that particularly interests him. My question is 'Time in 'Cien anos de soledad' is not linear, but cyclic or circular' - I love being able to pick my own questions because I get fantastic ones like that. Obviously there's tons to write about, but organising my thoughts has proved tricky - like the novel, everything links in with everything else
    Yes, I think there is actually a quote from somewhere about how it's written in such a way that it can't be analysed. I didn't get to pick my own question though - I wrote about reality and fantasy, which was quite interesting.

Oooh wow, sounds great though! And the Middle East, wow, you're brave... My dad's a diplomat in Kuwait at the moment I'm hopefully going to Granada for a week at Easter and St Petersburg for two or three weeks in September Can't wait!
    Granada is lovely, I went on an exchange there a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. I'm hopefully going on a Spanish language course at Easter.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I think there is actually a quote from somewhere about how it's written in such a way that it can't be analysed. I didn't get to pick my own question though - I wrote about reality and fantasy, which was quite interesting.

Granada is lovely, I went on an exchange there a couple of years ago and it was fantastic. I'm hopefully going on a Spanish language course at Easter.
    Yeah, I seem to remember the lecturer (also my supervisor) saying that. I love the fact that it can't be analysed and that he's clearly just chucked in random things to make it weirder. Fabulous It means that I can write waffle about the cyclical nature of time without having to say what it's symbolic of!

I can't wait to go We're language coursing it to - I'm going with two or three of the other Emma Hispanists.

ReputationRep:
    I have finished my incredibly boring equity essay...and it is rubbish! Expecting a low 2.ii/3rd for this one. It doesn't help that we haven't had lectures or a supervision on the area yet, and I find it dreadfully confusing in the textbooks Oh well, it's better than turning up tomorrow empty handed, I guess!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I have finished my incredibly boring equity essay...and it is rubbish! Expecting a low 2.ii/3rd for this one. It doesn't help that we haven't had lectures or a supervision on the area yet, and I find it dreadfully confusing in the textbooks Oh well, it's better than turning up tomorrow empty handed, I guess!
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    I can't wait to go We're language coursing it to - I'm going with two or three of the other Emma Hispanists.
    Oooh, I'm rather jealous! I still need to get mine organised but will probably end up going by myself.

And Zoe, I still don't know who you are. I was sitting next to lavalse in Friday's lecture though.

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know when CUSU awareness week is?

ReputationRep:
    I was 'conducting' brahms with my fork and eating pickled beetroots and now i have beetroot juice on my screen.

I'm odd.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    DeepBlueSky was clashing horribly with my postbit, so I had to find something that didn't, while still retaining the whole light blue thing...
    i can take at least some credit for this idea, although i did think that noone would notice! It looks good. Defo more readable for me on my phone.

Awesome evening. Had my friend over for dinner plus her 4yr old son, who got on really well with James! Then went to the pub by boat!

Have also been told that i might be ready for my first race in time for the Winter League at the end of Feb. :eek: which despite being a Sunday, i'll be able to do cos i have half term off as paid leave!

ReputationRep:
    Oooh, I'm rather jealous! I still need to get mine organised but will probably end up going by myself.

And Zoe, I still don't know who you are. I was sitting next to lavalse in Friday's lecture though.
    I'm pretty sure I said hi to lavalse at the start of Friday's lecture, so probably saw you. Hmmm, as a vague description for next time, I have short brown hair with a fringe and will be wearing an Emma scarf. You'll be at the 5pm translationy one on Tuesday, yesh? I'll make an effort to look distinctly Zoe-ish so you can work out who I am :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I'm not sure if I'll be studying her either Depends what my supervisor fancies I suppose, but I'm not sure feminist poetry is something that particularly interests him. My question is 'Time in 'Cien anos de soledad' is not linear, but cyclic or circular' - I love being able to pick my own questions because I get fantastic ones like that. Obviously there's tons to write about, but organising my thoughts has proved tricky - like the novel, everything links in with everything else :p:

Haha, I'm really not, just have a bit of a love affair with Hispanic poetry :p: I don't really mind the essay writing, I just wish I had the time to do it properly and think things through. At the moment I have half a mind on my Russian poetry and half a mind on Cien anos. I like having one post A level and one ab initio - when you're feeling rubbish about not knowing any Russian you can go and read some Spanish and feel better because you understand it, but equally when Spanish is getting too icky you can go and take comfort in some hardcore grammar learning

oh i completely agree with the post a-level ab initio combo in that respect!

and yep, you did say hi to me, so crazy_emz was probably neary by. i'll try and get you two to meet on tuesday if you're in close proximity or something

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    oh i completely agree with the post a-level ab initio combo in that respect!

and yep, you did say hi to me, so crazy_emz was probably neary by. i'll try and get you two to meet on tuesday if you're in close proximity or something
    Seeing as you know both of us, that's probably going to be easier than guesswork :p:

ReputationRep:
    I'm pretty sure I said hi to lavalse at the start of Friday's lecture, so probably saw you. Hmmm, as a vague description for next time, I have short brown hair with a fringe and will be wearing an Emma scarf. You'll be at the 5pm translationy one on Tuesday, yesh? I'll make an effort to look distinctly Zoe-ish so you can work out who I am
    Lol, such mystery. I will probably be there, assuming that my oral supervision does not over run horrendously so may see either/both of you!

I should really go to bed now, instead of attempting to do some Moliere. Night all!

ReputationRep:
    Darn. Went somewhere on Mill road with an insanely inexpensive curry offer tonight, and now I feel sick from eating so much :dry: And I have got *so* much work all of a sudden. I wrote up the outline for my research project to send to the newly appointed supervisor. This was the fun bit. I chose not to think about the essay until afterwards... :doh:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    And oh god yet again I am 10 minutes late for the start of dinner, meaning that I will have to wait outside in the cold.
    See? Cold exists! I keep telling you...
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    My essay is now 6 weeks and 7 hours late. I have no idea if I'm actually being supervised on it tomorrow anyway. Nightmare
    Erk! You too? How far have you gotten? I've only just noticed that I have a deadline tomorrow. Seems my body clock was uncannily prophetic :dry:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    I have to write an essay tonight. I have zero motivation with which to do it. I can't even get a good argument going,its just going to be methodical which is dull.
    :ditto: Except mine is too confusing to be dull
    (Original post by Tom)
    I got hailed on in hurricane-style winds on the coast today. That'll teach me to try to go for a walk on what had been a sunny day with only a fleece.
    :>.<: Were you alright?
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    :present: Here you are. Use it well.
    :rofl:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I just got a PM from LH123 with the " :upyours: " as the message...???!!!
    :confused:
    I'm not a sub anymore, my paypal will not update my details so I shan't be one for the forseeable future. I wish people would leave their names with rep, though.
    *cough* PS Help *cough* :p:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I wish I could learn to do essays like that - it'd mean some sleep :hmpf: Btw do they mark all of your essays? I'm lucky if they roughly mark one a term :rolleyes:
    I was 'conducting' brahms with my fork and eating pickled beetroots and now i have beetroot juice on my screen.

I'm odd.
    Which Brahms?
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    i can take at least some credit for this idea, although i did think that noone would notice! It looks good.
    :five: I felt it would be a bit too optimistic to hope that nobody'd notice, given the sheer volume of DeepSkyBlue they'd been fed beforehand :p: but yeh. For the best!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.