Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Happy birthday Scipio!

I'm exhausted, i've been setting my alarm for 8am so I can start going to some lectures and being more productive with my day, and hopefully get into a routine of getting up. But I can;t do it, I'm absolutely exhausted and need to sleep. My first lecture is at 10am so clearly not going. I was going to make such an effort this term and I just can't hack it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    I'm exhausted, i've been setting my alarm for 8am so I can start going to some lectures and being more productive with my day, and hopefully get into a routine of getting up. But I can;t do it, I'm absolutely exhausted and need to sleep. My first lecture is at 10am so clearly not going. I was going to make such an effort this term and I just can't hack it.
    :hugs: just sleep then you'll be much more productive if you feel well

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday Scipio!

Hmm, shall I do anything before my 11am supervision? Good not to have an essay on for once.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    (Original post by smilepea)
    :hugs: just sleep then you'll be much more productive if you feel well
    Well I'll never feel well exactly, but I lose so much time sleeping all the while.

ReputationRep:
    happy birthday scipio! :party:
    it takes sooooo much time to keep up with this thread now we're working again- its amazing i do anything else! :p:
    anyhow anatomy calls!

ReputationRep:
    Happy birthday Scipio! :ymca: Oh yeah.:yep:

And did anyone see the Uni Challenge last night? :p: That MendelBlet ¬.¬

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    So if people don't do it, what makes it technically the case?
    I just mean that if you look it up in a grammar book then the rule states that a hyphen should be used and if you find a number written in a book published by any decent publisher then they'll be sticking to the proper rules (we're talking about numbers like twenty-eight, for anybody who is wondering). However, in normal usage a lot of people don't hyphenate them (though they should :judge:).

ReputationRep:
    I've always felt that linguistics (if that is the right term) is defined by the people who use it, rather than some book somewhere. There is no universal rule that there should be a hyphen there and much as it can annoy me there is no reason why people shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition if they do not wish to put it before.

I have a scary amount of work to do all of a sudden and counting yesterday have 2 whole weeks without a free evening :p:

ReputationRep:
    Happy Birthday S.

PS : I just got my french law exam back

* feels very cheered up *

Happy Birthday Scipio Hope you have a lovely day

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    I just mean that if you look it up in a grammar book then the rule states that a hyphen should be used and if you find a number written in a book published by any decent publisher then they'll be sticking to the proper rules (we're talking about numbers like twenty-eight, for anybody who is wondering). However, in normal usage a lot of people don't hyphenate them (though they should :judge:).
    Well, depends on the grammar book, I have a shelf of them that'd say:
    I've always felt that linguistics (if that is the right term) is defined by the people who use it, rather than some book somewhere. There is no universal rule that there should be a hyphen there and much as it can annoy me there is no reason why people shouldn't end a sentence with a preposition if they do not wish to put it before.
    This is exactly how all academic linguists view language. If you make up a random paradigm of "correct usage" that doesn't conform to the way people actually use language, then you're not going to get anywhere. You can only learn something about the language faculty by studying how it is actually used - in fact, for instance, there's a lot of interesting research into the syntax behind ending English sentences with prepositions. By following this approach we can define what we mean by the term "possible language," which is the ultimate goal of (some branches of) linguistics.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Hah, facebook agrees with Amy, Happy Birthday Seth
    I said it first at 12:30 last night :hmmm:
    (Original post by minimo)
    unfortunately I need to sort out to essays for Oxford tomorrow annnddd do reading for my essay due on Weds and write half of said essay.
    poo
    Well ditto, but this is all very doable for a day. So no need to panic - as mentioned - as long as you don't start thinking about the rest of term's worries on top of that.
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Craggy, I may PM you later
    Sure :cool:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Happy birthday Scipio!

I got up and went to my 10am today, was going to go and work in the library afterwards but was so sick with tiredness I came home and slept till now!
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Happy birthday Scipio! :ymca: Oh yeah.:yep:

And did anyone see the Uni Challenge last night? :p: That MendelBlet ¬.¬
    K.T. did

ReputationRep:
    wow... I've just realised... it's already been over 4 months since we created that facebook group, and made a massive facebook add...

good times good times...

* I miss the Cambridge Freshers 2008 Thread * the only thread where you would have to go back three pages if you left for more than two hours ...

No offence to you Craghy, minimo etc. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I said it first at 12:30 last night :hmmm:
    Well ditto, but this is all very doable for a day. So no need to panic - as mentioned - as long as you don't start thinking about the rest of term's worries on top of that.
    Missed that :o:

Why on earth am I not working? I have already worked out that it is not physically possible for me to do all of my work before my electronics supervision, but I have to waste time as well :dry:

ReputationRep:
    I have an interview tomorrow and I am starting to majorly freak out.

I can't deal with interviews at all.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I just woke up again. Grrrr stupid sleep making me waste my days :mad:
    Although Rich might be coming to visit so I can sleep properly again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    I have an interview tomorrow and I am starting to majorly freak out.

I can't deal with interviews at all.
    Good luck

I'm sure it'l go great

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)
    Good luck

I'm sure it'l go great
    Thanks. Congrats on your french law exam - it's always a nice feeling when you get something back with a good result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Thanks. Congrats on your french law exam - it's always a nice feeling when you get something back with a good result
    yup ... definitely.. especially when you've got to hand in your moot skeleton tomorrow, (and have just started working on it :p: )

ReputationRep:
    Thanks, everyone (not quite sure I'm up to quoting them all)

Grr, differential equations. Only one left, but it's a real *******.

What's up with the rearrangement of the sandwich area of boots? Why is there aftershave/deoderant type stuff on the shelves where crisps and stuff were? Also, I love the quaint englishness of having a member of staff whose job it seems to be to observe those using the self-service checkouts.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.