Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CFS thread in H&R is getting me down. I need to go to my 2pm seminar for a whole host of reasons, all of them good ones, but I just can't bring myself to go. I feel so rubbish. I had a positive attitude to my mountain of work for about 3 days and that was it. I also have a million other domesticy type things to do, including buying food so i can eat, but I can't bring myself to do that either as it takes time out from studying. So i sit here staring at the screen panicking that I cant do everything and in fact doing nothing.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I love the quaint englishness of having a member of staff whose job it seems to be to observe those using the self-service checkouts.
    I work at asda on self scan - there are always problems with them, ie every 5 seconds, you need full time staffing over there, but you only need 2 per 8 tills and opposed to 1 per till on an ordinary one :p:

ReputationRep:
    Not sure if people have already sorted out their May Balls etc, but for those who haven't and are interested, the following may be useful

2009 Calendar

* *Friday 12th*
    o Robinson May Ball
    o Homerton May Ball - "James Bond 007"

* *Saturday 13th*
    o Peterhouse May Ball - "British"
    o Hughes Hall May Ball - "Passport to Pimlico"

* *Sunday 14th*
    o Emmanuel May Ball

* *Monday 15th*
    o Trinity May Ball
    o Clare May Ball
    o Jesus May Ball

* *Tuesday 16th*
    o Queens' May Ball - "The Beautiful and Damned"
    o St John's May Ball
    o Downing May Ball - "Peter Pan's Neverland"

* *Wednesday 17th*
    o Trinity Hall June Event
    o Magdalene May Ball
    o Pembroke May Ball - "Moonlight Masquerade"
    o Kings Affair

* *Friday 19th*
    o Corpus Christi May Ball - "The Grand Tour"
    o Wolfson June Event

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    CFS thread in H&R is getting me down. I need to go to my 2pm seminar for a whole host of reasons, all of them good ones, but I just can't bring myself to go. I feel so rubbish. I had a positive attitude to my mountain of work for about 3 days and that was it. I also have a million other domesticy type things to do, including buying food so i can eat, but I can't bring myself to do that either as it takes time out from studying. So i sit here staring at the screen panicking that I cant do everything and in fact doing nothing.
    :hugs:

Firstly breathe and remember that you can get through this. I find it helps to get into a routine. Try to get to bed early - maybe around 11 and get up for 7, I find that helps me face the day a bit better.

If it was any day but today wuth my mammoth pile of work, I'd have been happy to lend a hand with domesticy things

take care of yourself and chin up!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Not sure if people have already sorted out their May Balls etc, but for those who haven't and are interested, the following may be useful

2009 Calendar

* *Friday 12th*
    o Robinson May Ball
    o Homerton May Ball - "James Bond 007"

* *Saturday 13th*
    o Peterhouse May Ball - "British"
    o Hughes Hall May Ball - "Passport to Pimlico"

* *Sunday 14th*
    o Emmanuel May Ball

* *Monday 15th*
    o Trinity May Ball
    o Clare May Ball
    o Jesus May Ball

* *Tuesday 16th*
    o Queens' May Ball - "The Beautiful and Damned"
    o St John's May Ball
    o Downing May Ball - "Peter Pan's Neverland"

* *Wednesday 17th*
    o Trinity Hall June Event
    o Magdalene May Ball
    o Pembroke May Ball - "Moonlight Masquerade"
    o Kings Affair

* *Friday 19th*
    o Corpus Christi May Ball - "The Grand Tour"
    o Wolfson June Event
    ooo merci

ReputationRep:
    Guys is it "his writings are tempered with..." or "his writings are tempered by..." ?

ReputationRep:
    with, offhand, but not 100%

Edit: hmm, the examples on wiktionary seem to disagree, so I'm probably wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Well, depends on the grammar book, I have a shelf of them that'd say:

This is exactly how all academic linguists view language. If you make up a random paradigm of "correct usage" that doesn't conform to the way people actually use language, then you're not going to get anywhere. You can only learn something about the language faculty by studying how it is actually used - in fact, for instance, there's a lot of interesting research into the syntax behind ending English sentences with prepositions. By following this approach we can define what we mean by the term "possible language," which is the ultimate goal of (some branches of) linguistics.
    Hm, fair enough. But in practice I have to write according to rules when doing my work. It doesn't matter what people do generally - I have to conform to grammar rules and the standard practices of my discipline. That is part of learning to produce proper academic prose in a particular field. If you don't get it right then you get corrected until you learn.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    What comes after the end?

I've been trying to get into a routine, and thats where its all going wrong. If i didn't try to get up in time to go to my lectures it would be fine, but I cant do that anymore. <ost of all I'm just hungry. I'm out of food, there's nothing in College without tomato in it and I don't have the energy to go any further

ReputationRep:
    :hugs: for fadedjade.
    I finish at 6.30, and i'd be happy to help you with any shopping/domestic stuff after that. James finishes much earlier- at about 3.30. Text him and i'm sure he'd be happy to help too! My number's on facebook he you don't have it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    Hm, fair enough. But in practice I have to write according to rules when doing my work. It doesn't matter what people do generally - I have to conform to grammar rules and the standard practices of my discipline. That is part of learning to produce proper academic prose in a particular field. If you don't get it right then you get corrected until you learn.
    Yep, just about anyone writing something usually has to follow certain rules to conform to expected standards. This is a reasonable enough idea, as it means we can ensure everything is understood, and we know what to do in ambiguous cases (like the hyphens thing), but we should still avoid having totally irrational rules against things like splitting infinitives or ending sentences with prepositions. And just because we have a particular standard, it doesn't mean someone not following is speaking incorrectly, they're simply using a different dialect, which is fine to do most of the time.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    What comes after the end?
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:

i know this might soundd horribly selfish in the mist of everyone feeling very low, but over the last three days i was really feeling down and under confident, but I have just had - academically wise - the best day so far out since October... (and yet i will be pulling an all nighter tonight ...)

FadedJade :hugs: don't worry, people always have ups and downs... although i don't recommend not eating.. I didn't eat a real meal for three days, and had to leave after the first half of my football match because i felt so dizzy/bad... darn human body :shifty:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Guys is it "his writings are tempered with..." or "his writings are tempered by..." ?
    I would say "tempered with": tempering is a ceramics term, relating to the use of a "temper" (straw, grass, crushed stone, sand) which prevents the vessel from cracking when it begins to dry. In this case, the "temper" is something you act on (thus, you can "temper" an argument, book, etc, as you temper an un-fired vessel). That could work, at least; correct me if I'm wrong.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Happy birthday Scipio

Argh, this term is stressful. I've already been set a Soc Anth essay and I'm gonna get a Psych one today and a Pol one tomorrow. But my Socio supervisor seems to think its okay to wait till next Friday for our first supervision (!) so I can imagine the essays re going to build up around Week 5

Craggy, I may PM you later
    You still seem to be better organised than me. We haven't had any Politics or Bio Anth supervisions arranged yet, and our first Sociology is going to be next Tuesday. :rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)

FadedJade :hugs: don't worry, people always have ups and downs... although i don't recommend not eating.. I didn't eat a real meal for three days, and had to leave after the first half of my football match because i felt so dizzy/bad... darn human body :shifty:
    I'm not not eating deliberately! College don't have anything that I'm not allergic to and I'm not well enough to cope with town to get something there. I'll just have to wait for trough tonight and hope they have something without tomato in it.

ps you do realise that my 'down' has been a four and a half year down right?

ReputationRep:
    Gnargh. Last week my new supervisor asked to meet at the same time as a lecture this week. I emailed back to say I had a lecture but he hasn't gotten back to me yet :shifty:

I'm trying to work out whether prodding him again would be a bad idea

:console: FJ - If I go to Sainsburys I'll let you know.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I'm trying to work out whether prodding him again would be a bad idea .
    No way, just follow up with a "I was wondering if you had a chance to reschedule this for me?" kind of thing.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    "tempered with" - 618,000 Google hits.
    "tempered by" - 1,390,000 Google hits.

So they're both acceptable, and it looks like "tempered by" is somewhat more common (though results may be skewed by usages like "x is tempered by doing y" and so on). Anyway, I'd say you're free to choose whichever - I'd use a different one depending on the predicate in particular and the feeling I wanted to convey.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.