Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    How am I supposed to remember that the volume of a cone is (1/3)*pi*h*r^2? :hmpf:
    Even I remember that, and my GCSEs were like 7 years ago *feels old*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Even I remember that, and my GCSEs were like 7 years ago *feels old*
    old :p:

Mine were 4.5 years ago with a gap year and taking Maths a year early.

ReputationRep:
    old :p:

Mine were 4.5 years ago with a gap year and taking Maths a year early.
    Yeah, mine were in 2002 but I took Maths in Nov '01 (don't ask- IGCSEs are a little different...)

ReputationRep:
    Morris was cancelled so I've been wasting time, trying to convince myself that I'm not tired really and that I can definitely do an hours work before the late show at the ADC...

ReputationRep:
    Guys, I need some advice I don't know what to do.

Basically last term one of my supervisors disappeared on research leave so I only had 1 rather than 3 supervisions with her. Needless to say I have to have those supervisions now. I had agreed to a double supervision on Thursday to get both out of the way. I have done one essay and handed it in but there's no way I can make a decent job of essay 2 by tomorrow afternoon and because a) I'm really inerested in the paper and b) enjoy the reading, I don't want to make a rubbish job of it. Also the double supo idea seems a bit ridiculous coz I won't get the opportunity to learn from my mistakes before doing essay 3. I will definitely be having *a* supervision on Thursday but not 2 back to back ones. Thing is I'm a bit scared to tell my supervisor all of this because I *did* have the holiday (over which I had the dissertation and another paper to worry about, and when I did do loads of reading for essay 2...library book limits meant i couldnt take books for essay 3 home). I am *so* knackered and really need a decent night's sleep and don't fancy missing another lecture to try to hash out this essay. I just think my supervisor is *somehow* annoyed with me from the tone of her emails even though i havent done anything wrong The fact I missed her monday lecture (even though im not doing that topic in the exam and she knows that) probs wont look good for me.

What do I do? I really just want to sleep

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    What do I do? I really just want to sleep
    Tell her your situation? You're probably worrying too much about her seeming annoyed. She's probably not. Emails aren't very good at conveying tone.

ReputationRep:
    Just tell her what you've said here. You can't be expected to be a superhuman. Rearrange it for later on this term.

Missing her lecture really isn't an insult or the end of the world tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Go to bed. Perhaps email them and ask if you can do it for next time? My experience of staying up late when all you want to do is go to bed is that you don't do anything worth it and you get more and more tired. It is only an essay in the end...

ReputationRep:
    I agree with scipio - I always think people (especially my DoS!) are pissed off or annoyed me when I read their emails, but it turns out it's just me reading too much into it or not getting the tone. I'm sure she'll be fine with re-arranging it.

ReputationRep:
    thanks! I just hope the essay I handed in was half decent! :o:

ReputationRep:
    I generally do misread the tone of emails or sometimes posts. Thank the lord for smilies...

minimo, ultimately getting the most out of these supervisions is the important thing. Just tell your supervisor that you want to reschedule.

ReputationRep:
    Remember- this isn't school. You do have a say in how supervisions are run (or should do, at least.) They are for your benefit and not theirs.

ReputationRep:
    I generally do misread the tone of emails or sometimes posts. Thank the lord for smilies...
    minimo, ultimately getting the most out of these supervisions is the important thing. Just tell your supervisor that you want to reschedule.
    I do the same thing too!

Thanks so much everyone. I do really want to make the most of my supervisions this term, it is my last term of proper supervisions anyway :eek: :work:

ReputationRep:
    someone on my FB enjoys posting every politics newspaper article ever written on their profile with comments like 'WOW, seriously dude' and 'OMG such a good article.' If they were pointing us to stuff we wouldn't come across in the mainstream news media, it'd be fine, possibly very interesting. Or it would be interesting if they were coming up with some novel points/opinions. However, I *can* read the front page of the BBC/independent/guardian myself, thanks and don't need you posting 5 articles off each site every morning. *goes off to find the widget that lets you reduce how much you see of some ppl on your mini feed*

ReputationRep:
    I want a filter to block all news stories and opinion pieces on the conflict in Gaza. I'm sure someone must have invented it by now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I want a filter to block all news stories and opinion pieces on the conflict in Gaza. I'm sure someone must have invented it by now.
    yeh me too.

I can totally get a one-off Gaza status but it was the repetitive 'x reports that today 1000 Gazans were murdered, 750 of them children' ones that get a bit tiring and tbh just work to desensitise people. That and I do watch the news.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    I agree with scipio
    Not all us PhysNatScis are the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supermerp)
    Not all us PhysNatScis are the same
    Oops....sorry! :o:

ReputationRep:
    I've just seen these people at the ADC: http://www.facebook.com/pages/Over-t...dge/9190894254

Absolutely hilarious, whilst being bloody good singers. Was fantastic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Now to write an essay for tomorrow afternoon. I've read 1 article thus far. And I wanna do most of the essay tonight so I don't have a crazy day tomorrow.

:work:
    I'm with you on that one tonight. Opening sentence written thus far :p:

I'm exhausted today. It took me 2hours to read a wikipedia article :o:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Even I remember that, and my GCSEs were like 7 years ago *feels old* (don't ask- IGCSEs are a little different...)
    I remember learning about it, also 7years ago and also IGCSE! Snap :five:. Geometry was the only thing I could do in maths, ever Oh...and mole calculations. Eventually.
    Anyway, remember ukebert has since learnt some way more complex things which presumably only fit into his head by weekly mental defragmentation...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.