The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 6080
Yeh the law thing does sound rather aggravating
ukebert
Heffers >>> Borders tbf

Without any question.
Apagg
I was lectured today by that guy you mentioned Craggy, Ha-Joon Chang. He's a strange man, entertaining lecture though

Ah, lucky you. He's certainly entertaining!
The West Wing
I cam to Peterhouse but I couldn't find your pigeon hole :frown:
Nevermind :console: But why didn't you just hand it to the porters? Would have been half the effort :p:
Craghyrax
Nevermind :console: But why didn't you just hand it to the porters? Would have been half the effort :p:

i just walked past peterhouse today :smile: it's a nice college ... for some reason i always thought it was not very central...

i apoligise for everything i said in "the big college... thread" :colone:
thegluups
yeah definitely :smile: I'm lucky in a sense, because there doesn't seem to be anything big coming up (yet) this year, although we have to manage without case law for all of the incitement offences (you're lucky you still had incitement ... the Serious Crime Act is ***** ), and i guess you still don't have that many cases for the Sexual Offence Act :shifty: Why does parliament always mess things up? :smile:

We had loads of cases for the SOA, but unfortunately still had to know the old law too. I have to do the SCA in procedure this year, although not in great detail :smile: We had new stuff for land last year as well, which was a bugger since land is complicated enough already! That's the one thing I like about equity- parliament very rarely gets the chance to mess it up, and the judges are so stuck in their ways that they don't want to alter it too much either :biggrin:
ARRRGGH

Have had an electronics supervision. My new supervision partner is a lovely chap but he's from china and has a bit of a language problem. This means that Electronics supervisions (which he has particular problems with it would seem) have to go incredibly slowly, so slowly in fact that they are of no use whatsoever to me. I really really hope that things improve, 'cause I really can't afford to not be able to take advantage of the contact time.

And I rushed down after lunch to put my washing in the machine and remembered once there that I forgot to bring any washing stuff with me to Cambridge and forgot to buy some in Sainsburys. w00p. I found some greenish liquid on a bench so I used that instead. My machine made very ominous wheezy noises and didn't seem to be turning round, so it probably didn't do much good. It'll be 5 probably before it's worth me starting work, which gives an hour before dinner and half an hour after. I then have a cupper's match against Trinity 1 in Bridge, which is going to go painfully badly, given that I've only played Bridge once since half way through November last year.
Reply 6084
ukebert
ARRRGGH
Have had an electronics supervision. My new supervision partner is a lovely chap but he's from china and has a bit of a language problem. This means that Electronics supervisions (which he has particular problems with it would seem) have to go incredibly slowly, so slowly in fact that they are of no use whatsoever to me. I really really hope that things improve, 'cause I really can't afford to not be able to take advantage of the contact time.

I'll trade. I wish I had supervisions that were going too slowly - beats them going far too fast/over your head. I love supervisions where me and my partner don't have a clue, so much better than when I'm with someone who knows everything inside out.
Reply 6085
ugh, i had THE most depressing class today full of people with lots of knowledge and me wishing I could slowly creep under the table and die.

I'm not sure if I should go to the gym in a bit, i feel a bit poorly but ought not to be lazy :frown:
Reply 6086
thegluups
At least your subject doesn't change from month to month :mad: :p: if the govenrment chooses to pass a new act, just before our exam, we have to relearn everything..;:mad:

Things in biomedical science (okay, not anatomy...) change almost daily. My Part 2 was nightmarish as some of the stuff I was reading about was only discovered a few weeks before. With clinical medicine, practice and regimens change pretty quickly too. It's why revalidation of already qualified doctors is being considered...!
visesh
Things in biomedical science (okay, not anatomy...) change almost daily. My Part 2 was nightmarish as some of the stuff I was reading about was only discovered a few weeks before. With clinical medicine, practice and regimens change pretty quickly too. It's why revalidation of already qualified doctors is being considered...!

:frown: Poor us...

Oh well, at least we do interesting stuff, and it never gets old :colone:
Reply 6088
Mathematicians deal in universal truths, we never have this problem :biggrin:

Until PhD when we have to invent our own maths. But that's -years- away.
I guess the conclusion to this discussion is to do history - it won't change. :wink:
Mathematicians really don't deal in universal truths. There's no such thing, but as you please.
Excalibur
I guess the conclusion to this discussion is to do history - it won't change. :wink:

Unfortunately it does, all the time. :s-smilie:
Reply 6092
FadedJade
Mathematicians really don't deal in universal truths. There's no such thing, but as you please.

:eyeball: I'd like you to find anywhere or anytime in the universe when a right-angled triangle in a Euclidean plane doesn't obey Pythagoras.
Reply 6093
Gesar
:eyeball: I'd like you to find anywhere or anytime in the universe when a right-angled triangle in a Euclidean plane doesn't obey Pythagoras.

Well, show me "a Euclidean plane" anywhere or anytime in the universe :P .
Anyways, I guess the point FadedJade is making is that mathematical truths are "true" in the sense that they follow from a set of axiom that mathematics is based on (and therefore not universal). And let's not forget that we won't ever be able to prove that our axioms are consistent, so let's just hope nobody ever finds an example of them being inconsistent...
Excalibur

Lol... its just that no one can ever agree on what actually happened at the time ...:biggrin:
Reply 6095
Y__
Well, show me "a Euclidean plane" anywhere or anytime in the universe :P .

:p: We don't need a plane for that little fact to be true. Hypotheticals are much more fun than the real universe.

Anyways, I guess the point Nina is making is that mathematical truths are "true" in the sense that they follow from a set of axiom that mathematics is based on (and therefore not universal). And let's not forget that we won't ever be able to prove that our axioms are consistent, so let's just hope nobody ever finds an example of them being inconsistent...

They are universal in the sense that Universal Constants are universal. Scientists bugger around with the constants all the time to see what other universes could be like, the difference with maths is we can change the axioms and find out what the other universes are like directly. And if one set is inconsistent, we get a universe which is just one massive black hole :p:
Reply 6096
FadedJade

Surely that statement is paradoxical - is 'there is no such thing as universal truths' not being presented as a universal truth in itself :s-smilie:
Reply 6097
I love the fact that our course is advertised by a duck.
One of the DoS at Emma is a fluid dynamicist, and we suspect he's responsible for that one.
Reply 6099
Y__
I love the fact that our course is advertised by a duck.

Is there a reasonably straighforward explaination for that wake angle thing? It's a fairly nice result.

Latest

Trending

Trending