Turn on thread page Beta
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Ok cool thanks. My friends were talking earlier about going to a white tie ball and Magdalene is the same day as Pembroke.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Ok cool thanks. My friends were talking earlier about going to a white tie ball and Magdalene is the same day as Pembroke.
    Does that mean you too?

*pesters TSRers to come to Peterhouse* (its the only ball I'm going to)

I'm knackered and I've got a long day tomorrow, including a trip to London that I'm not exactly relishing, still I'm in a good mood now that the beastly essay is dead. Going to try and read another chapter of this book before my supervision tomorrow; the first one for my Project!!! :nutcase:

ReputationRep:
    Wow... to how many may balls are you guys planning on going to??

i'm just going to the JOhn's one, but i haven't heard anything about them giving out tickets though...

I'm looking forward to the one in a couple of years... for the 500th anniversay of the college... they're planning on sending invitations to every Johnian every alive Not sure how many people would actually be willing to turn up:rolleyes:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yes I would very much like to.

gluups, its my final year so i want to go to more than one. my friends and i are planning to work quite a few aswell so we can go to half free and go to a few more without paying. This is what I spend my Newton bursary on

ReputationRep:

gluups, its my final year so i want to go to more than one. my friends and i are planning to work quite a few aswell so we can go to half free and go to a few more without paying. This is what I spend my Newton bursary on
    haha fair enough

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)
    Wow... to how many may balls are you guys planning on going to??
    Did you read my post? :confused:
    Yay

Btw does anybody know exactly what white tie entails? Is it full length dress and white gloves for girls, or am I missing a detail? And for guys is it just a different jacket with tails and a white tie? Or do they have to have hats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    :eek: Were you in Life on Tuesday?! I was in Life on Tuesday! As was K.T!

But Life is no longer CUSU's gay night.
    Lol, you were a little too pre-occupied to talk however :p:

I'm sooo pleased that it's moving to an actually DECENT club though - what was with that stupid wall thing shutting off half the club?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Did you read my post? :confused:
    Yay

Btw does anybody know exactly what white tie entails? Is it full length dress and white gloves for girls, or am I missing a detail? And for guys is it just a different jacket with tails and a white tie? Or do they have to have hats?
    :p: I wasn't referring to your post, just to everyone in general, who seems to be going to at least two or three may balls, from the impression i'm getting at least...
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    According to Magdalene's website:

* Full length ball gown. Please note that knee- or calf-length dresses will not be deemed to be acceptable.
    * Stole, cape or cloak, or opera coat.
    * Dancing shoes – formal pumps, sandals or ballet slippers.
    * Jewellery. A watch is traditionally not considered appropriate, except for jewelled versions whose faces are covered so that they resemble bracelets. Watches will, however, be permitted.
    * Handbag – clutch style or small evening bag.
    * Gloves (optional) – if worn, should be opera length (over the elbow, reaching to the biceps).

ReputationRep:
    Has anyone mentioned the debate yet btw? I definitely saw CPF/TWW there (as always)... I was loving every minute of it

James Beatie vs. Stephen Green = amazing!

ReputationRep:
    According to Magdalene's website:

* Full length ball gown. Please note that knee- or calf-length dresses will not be deemed to be acceptable.
    * Stole, cape or cloak, or opera coat.
    * Dancing shoes – formal pumps, sandals or ballet slippers.
    * Jewellery. A watch is traditionally not considered appropriate, except for jewelled versions whose faces are covered so that they resemble bracelets. Watches will, however, be permitted.
    * Handbag – clutch style or small evening bag.
    * Gloves (optional) – if worn, should be opera length (over the elbow, reaching to the biceps).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Has anyone mentioned the debate yet btw? I definitely saw CPF/TWW there (as always)... I was loving every minute of it

Oh how was it then? I wanted to go, but had to go to hall because of my tutor
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Formal evening dress for gentlemen consists of the following elements:

* Black tailcoat with silk (ribbed or satin) facings, sharply cut-away at the front.
    * Matching black trousers trimmed with braid or satin on the outside of each trouser leg.
    * White stiff-fronted shirt, with cotton pique/Marcella dickie (sometimes known as a tuxedo front or tux front: a false shirt-front, usually attached to the collar and then tucked into the cummerbund), boiled or heavily starched.
    * White bow tie (usually cotton pique).
    * White low-cut waistcoat (usually cotton pique, matching the bow tie and dickie.)
    * Formal shoes and dress socks should be black.

Shirt studs and cufflinks should traditionally be silver or white. A white handkerchief is also worn.

There are a number of optional accessories that gentlemen may wish to add. These include white gloves, whte scarf, black silk top hat, opera cloak/cape or overcoat for outdoors, and a black cane.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wanted to go to the debate too! But I had a supervision :hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

I thought it was surprisingly good given how badly the motion was worded. It was also more amusing than i expected. Though, i must say i only thought that there was only one really good speaker on each side; that being first prop and last opp... Everyone else may or may not have made a few good/interesting points, but they didn't have good arguments.

Did you stay for the result? Who won? (if i even need to ask... though the last opp might have done that side some considerable good)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks Nina. I seem to have misinformed my german friend
    :p: I wasn't referring to your post, just to everyone in general, who seems to be going to at least two or three may balls, from the impression i'm getting at least...
    Ah, ok
    (Original post by K.T.)
    :blah:
    Thanks again for the chocolate; I just eat it :ninja2:

ReputationRep:
    Oh how was it then? I wanted to go, but had to go to hall because of my tutor
    Well, it was the most enjoyable debate I've been to at the union so far - basically James (for reasons best known to himself) decided to point out the 'biblical evidence for Jesus's (supposed) closet homosexuality', which needless to say sent the fundamentalist Christian into a fit of anger, much to the audience's amusement. It got pretty tense at some points, not to mention offensive, but that all added to the immense drama of the evening.

In the end, the motion divided 129:130 against the motion - amazing!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    I thought it was surprisingly good given how badly the motion was worded. It was also more amusing than i expected. Though, i must say i only thought that there was only one really good speaker on each side; that being first prop and last opp... Everyone else may or may not have made a few good/interesting points, but they didn't have good arguments.

Did you stay for the result? Who won? (if i even need to ask... though the last opp might have done that side some considerable good)
    ^ On terms of debating, I agree with your choices of speakers - I'm certain that the last opposition swung the vote considerably, and not without good reason.

As for the wording, I also agree - I wasn't sure what door to go through tbh, as I technically "wouldn't rather be gay"... I voted for the motion in the end, but most of my friends abstained or voted Nay.

Thoughts on the Beattie/Green showdown btw? That was the highlight for me (for amusement/needless religious offence value alone)!

Also, have you come to any TSR meets yet? :eyeball: I can't put a name to a face here...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Thanks again for the chocolate; I just eat it :ninja2:
    No probs
    (this quote confused me at first, as I didn't remember posting that... I'm really quite simple, sometimes)

ReputationRep:
    Hmm.. this white tie business is one of the few instances in which the boys are worse off than the girls! I've struggled to find opportunities to wear all the bridesmaids dresses people gave me before coming up. Black tie - all the time.. but not the full length things. At least my one unworn thing is going to be aired at halfway hall this term

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.