Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    There are a number of optional accessories that gentlemen may wish to add. These include white gloves, whte scarf, black silk top hat, opera cloak/cape or overcoat for outdoors, and a black cane.
    I love that bit. It'd be so awesome to have all of them, but I think not somehow. :p:

Hmm, I didn't bother with the debate because none of my friends wanted to go, but from the sound of it I should have gone.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no :>.<: I'm glad I wasn't there for that, KT.
    (Original post by K.T.)

Also, have you come to any TSR meets yet? :eyeball: I can't put a name to a face here...
    Not this year she hasn't...

.. and this brings me to the important point of our first TSR Meet this term, which will be a

Clare Formal on Monday the 2cnd of February so please put this in your diaries everyone. Now :hmmm:

I spoke to Lidia and she said this is fine.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I love that bit. It'd be so awesome to have all of them, but I think not somehow.
    I know a particular person in college who certainly will :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Hmm.. this white tie business is one of the few instances in which the boys are worse off than the girls! I've struggled to find opportunities to wear all the bridesmaids dresses people gave me before coming up. Black tie - all the time.. but not the full length things. At least my one unworn thing is going to be aired at halfway hall this term

hahaha... I think the cane business is very... interesting...

I only own one dress... which is full length anyway... so black tie/white tie.... doesn't really make any difference for me

ReputationRep:
    Oh no :>.<: I'm glad I wasn't there for that, KT.

Clare Formal on Monday the 2cnd of February so please put this in your diaries everyone. Now :hmmm:

I spoke to Lidia and she said this is fine.
    For what, the debate (because it was offensive)?

Also, do we need to let Lidia know if we want to come to that? Because I do

ReputationRep:
    I know a particular person in college who certainly will :dry:
    Wait, are you talking about my college? If not, that's a hilarious coincidence. Actually, seems most likely as I don't think you know the Will in question...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    For what, the debate (because it was offensive)?

Also, do we need to let Lidia know if we want to come to that? Because I do
    is that a TSR... hall? Mind if i join in, even if i ruthlessly abandoned TSR for a whole term?

ps : me is happy!!! I just got my first two "good essays" back

ReputationRep:
    K.T. yeh I wouldn't get angry if somebody tried to start up a conversation with me about the possibility of Jesus being gay, but I can see how it is quite offensive. To clarify: Jesus's orientation isn't the offensive thing, its the other person making a mockery of your faith and beliefs that I have a problem with. Whoever it was evidently intended to take the p.
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Wait, are you talking about my college? If not, that's a hilarious coincidence. Actually, seems most likely as I don't think you know the Will in question...
    No, I was referring to our ball - and someone in college who buys his day clothes from Ede and Ravenscroft!

I'm trying to work out what kind of percentage of people will be wearing white tie to it given that its only 'preferable' or whatever :confused:

Regarding TSR Formal - I'll create a facebook event, and post the link.

ReputationRep:
    K.T. yeh I wouldn't get angry if somebody tried to start up a conversation with me about the possibility of Jesus being gay, but I can see how it is quite offensive. To clarify: Jesus's orientation isn't the offensive thing, its the other person making a mockery of your faith and beliefs that I have a problem with. Whoever it was evidently intended to take the p.

No, I was referring to our ball - and someone in college who buys his day clothes from Ede and Ravenscroft!

I'm trying to work out what kind of percentage of people will be wearing white tie to it given that its only 'preferable' or whatever :confused:

Regarding TSR Formal - I'll create a facebook event, and post the link.

Am I a bad person for thinking that I'd actually like to do that if I had the spare money for it :p: ?

ReputationRep:
    Oh no, it's cool, I totally get it (ex-Catholic, etc. over here). I was with my friends who happen to be Christian, & they were pretty taken aback. I don't know what to think tbh - the amusement value was sky-high, but it's pretty disrespectful. Hmmm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Am I a bad person for thinking that I'd actually like to do that if I had the spare money for it :p: ?
    Depends. I think spending £700 on a jacket or other item of clothing is 'bad' on ethical grounds. In the case of the friend I mentioned it isn't really an issue of being anything except slightly eccentric - and very very confusing when I first met him because I thought he was acting!
    I can relate to wanting to do something unusual and grand every now and then (eg wear white tie to a May Ball) obviously

Anyway I don't believe in 'good' or 'bad' people :p:

ReputationRep:
    I can't do Clare - I take issue with the "Helenia" incident that FtB very graphically described to us in all its horror :vroam:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    I can't do Clare - I take issue with the "Helenia" incident that FtB very graphically described to us in all its horror :vroam:
    What incident would this be? :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'm coming to Clare! MEMEME!!!:emo:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    I have no idea what you're talking about, but do you mean you're not coming to the meet/can't help plan it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Has anyone mentioned the debate yet btw? I definitely saw CPF/TWW there (as always)... I was loving every minute of it

James Beatie vs. Stephen Green = amazing!
    James Beattie is a legend He's a really cool guy! He helped me with my Special Constable application!

(Original post by K.T.)
    Lol, you were a little too pre-occupied to talk however :p:
    This is very true. :o: I was very aware of you being literally next to me! :p:

ReputationRep:
    I wanna go to clare, I've never been!! Yayness

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    James Beattie is a legend He's a really cool guy! He helped me with my Special Constable application!

This is very true. :o: I was very aware of you being literally next to me! :p:
    I don't know what a 'Special Constable' is, but yeah, awesome!

Also, soz about that - it was only 'cos the seat was free; I was more interested in watching the girls there tbh :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    I don't know what a 'Special Constable' is, but yeah, awesome!

Also, soz about that - it was only 'cos the seat was free; I was more interested in watching the girls there tbh :p:
    Special Constable is a volunteer policeman :p:

Hehe it's okay, the guy I was with was very insistent that despite you being there, we carried on doing what we were doing. He was hot, so I didn't mind tbh :cool: I guessed you'd be more interested in girls

ReputationRep:
    Did you read my post? :confused:
    Yay

Btw does anybody know exactly what white tie entails? Is it full length dress and white gloves for girls, or am I missing a detail? And for guys is it just a different jacket with tails and a white tie? Or do they have to have hats?
    As Nina said, it is more specific than that. What to note is that the shirt front must be stiff, there should be 2 satin stripes down the trousers rather than one and the tail coat should be square cutaway rather than curved (morning coat).

Apparently the ceilidh band are playing at the Peterhouse ball We probably won't get free tickets though :hmpf:

Might, might be able to do it.

(Original post by Y__)
    I like ede and ravenscroft clothes :o: My grandfather used to buy a lot of stuff from there. I think I've got a few shirts somewhere or other and my dad has a tweed jacket (didn't fit me).

Fantastic session, only just got back I have however got to pack for sailing and get up for a 9am... Wonderful.

Plus the seller appears to have muddled up the billing address as stored on paypal and the shipping address that I gave him, meaning that my instrument has been delivered back home :>.<:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.