Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Fitz (on Castle Hill). I know there are some shops in the city centre, it's just that the one on Mill Rd is where I bought it, so I reckoned it might be best to go there...
    I got lost in Fitz on Tuesday night at about 2.30am. :shifty: It's one ugly college btw. I've only ever seen photos, not it in real life, but it was worse than it looked on screen :p: :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I don't think there's any warranty on it, so you might be right. Do you know which of the inner city shops is good and will be able to fix a brake cable for a reasonable price in a reasonable time? Unfortunately we don't have a porter who does this kind of stuff.
    Unfortunately I've not used the shops for maintenance purposes yet. Might be your best bet to phone round for quotes - the three shops I'm aware of are on Kings Parade, v close to the junction with Silver Street, Kings Street (just by Jesus), and near Pembroke, next door to JET Photographic.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    I got lost in Fitz on Tuesday night at about 2.30am. :shifty: It's one ugly college btw. I've only ever seen photos, not it in real life, but it was worse than it looked on screen :p: :o:
    And you have written this post to tell me that :hmmm: ?

Apagg: Thanks, I guess I'll try one of them.

ReputationRep:
    Y- the guy on the market is good, as is the dude who does repairs under Park st Car park, next to the Maypole. I think he's there every day except mon. There's a sign, anyway. I've had good experiences using both those guys. The Cambridge Cycle Centre is also good. Its on free school lane. Its small so they sometimes have a back log. The market/car park guys are cheapest though.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    OK I have a bigger problem than the hair stuff, I cant fit into the dress i'm supposed to wear :s:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    One of the brake cables on my bike broke, and it's the one that connected the strong brake. The one that remains intact is not strong enough to risk cycling down Castle Hill (not even any other slopes) or to stop abruptly in order to avoid running over tourists.
    I'm probably going to take it to the bike shop tomorrow, but that's on Mill Rd and therefore quite a long walk from here... I need my bike !
    If it's just the inner cable which has snapped, its fairly easy to replace yourself - you just need to pull it out of the outer, disengage it from the lever, then thread the new inner cable through and re-clamp it at the brake arm (see here for a tutorial). The only problem you might have is that its difficult to cut the cable cleanly without a special cutter, however you can just wind the excess into a loop easy enough. Though admittedly it may be fairly cheap to get a shop to do it for you, I don't know - the inner cable itself shouldn't cost more than £5 (at most) though.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks a lot ! I'll try to fix it myself tomorrow (thanks for that link!) and if it doesn't work out, I know where to go to. Great !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Ouch. Mine's not in for over 2 weeks yet. Though that's because we have grad students supervising us. And it looks impossible

I don't like Siklos as a lecturer at all.
    we have 3 grad student supervisors this term, and so far I know when 1/4 of my supervisions are the others haven't bothered to get in touch

but I'm less then impressed with the maths department at the moment

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Oh yeah - I don't think I'll be going to the formal. Turning up at a college where I know no-one to meet several people I've never met before in a strange location and proceeding to eat a meal I have no idea how to reserve is too much hassle :p:
    But we're nice. I'll reserve you a ticket, you just pay me back. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Turns out sainsburys do not sell hair bands, hair clips, or anything else I could possibly need :hmpf:
    I have lots of spray/volumiser things if you still haven't got any? Sadly, I only have 1 or 2 clippies though and no bobbles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadeToBlackout)
    Can I use my right to dine at High Table and look down on you plebs? :p:
    You have the right to dine at High Table once you graduate? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i don't know about clare, but we're allowed to do so either one a term, or once a quarter - can't rmember which... And i also can't quite rmember whether it is once we're graduates or once we're MAs, but it's something like that. I think it's quite similar for other colleges

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by groovy_moose)
    i don't know about clare, but we're allowed to do so either one a term, or once a quarter - can't rmember which... And i also can't quite rmember whether it is once we're graduates or once we're MAs, but it's something like that. I think it's quite similar for other colleges
    Interesting...

ReputationRep:
    At King's, it's after we get our MA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Gesar - don't you row? Formal swaps must terrify you
    I most certainly do not row, what gave you that impression? :p: And I don't quite see the connection between me either rowing or not rowing, and being scared of formal swaps, I'm afraid :o:

(Original post by smilepea)
    we have 3 grad student supervisors this term, and so far I know when 1/4 of my supervisions are the others haven't bothered to get in touch

but I'm less then impressed with the maths department at the moment
    Ah But yeah I'm not terribly impressed with it either. Incredibly disorganised, and they let crap lecturers lecture us, for which I shall never forgive them.

(Original post by Lidka)
    But we're nice. I'll reserve you a ticket, you just pay me back.
    Still... You might just be nice people who happen to want to hurt me :p: Nah, I don't generally make good first impressions, as Brimstone will attest. I think it's best if I don't get thrust into an awkward social situation with complete strangers that will last for several hours in which I'll be forced to interact :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

Ah But yeah I'm not terribly impressed with it either. Incredibly disorganised, and they let crap lecturers lecture us, for which I shall never forgive them.

Still... You might just be nice people who happen to want to hurt me :p: Nah, I don't generally make good first impressions, as Brimstone will attest. I think it's best if I don't get thrust into an awkward social situation with complete strangers that will last for several hours in which I'll be forced to interact :o:
    Hmmm. I don't know - I don't really blame the lecturers, not telling any names:
    Groups - awesome lecturer. V&M - slightly non-standard, but good lecturer. DE - good lecturer, if not so good course. NS - intelligent lecturer, substandard lecturing technique. VC - I'm a bit annoyed with him, might be the course though... Analysis - he's good! probably seems a bit slow for people who have done NS, but he gives formal proofs AND explains them in an informal way, which should be a good thing. Probability: He's cool, it's just we're not doing anything nice yet. DR - seems a lot more organised than in his intro course last term, and I think it's interesting, unfortunately, never having done Mech A level, I feel a bit lost.
    All in all I think the lecturers are quite good.

Re: formal - I'm not sure whether I'll be able to come, but I'll decide quickly. Gesar, you should consider going, I was at the last TSR meet, and I didn't talk a lot, which might have been a bit awkward, but it was still nice!

ReputationRep:
    i just got back from london, and guess who i bumped into on the train?! Craghyrax! quite a coincidence, and a nice one at that!!
    so nice to be home (even though i was only gone for a couple of hours). its strange, i already feel more comfortable here than in london - where i spent my whole life previously

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Hmmm. I don't know - I don't really blame the lecturers, not telling any names:
    Groups - awesome lecturer. V&M - slightly non-standard, but good lecturer. DE - good lecturer, if not so good course. NS - intelligent lecturer, substandard lecturing technique. VC - I'm a bit annoyed with him, might be the course though... Analysis - he's good! probably seems a bit slow for people who have done NS, but he gives formal proofs AND explains them in an informal way, which should be a good thing. Probability: He's cool, it's just we're not doing anything nice yet. DR - seems a lot more organised than in his intro course last term, and I think it's interesting, unfortunately, never having done Mech A level, I feel a bit lost.
    All in all I think the lecturers are quite good.
    Groups was an awesome lecturer. The incident with the automatic doors was comic genius. I didn't like V&M - he had some funny stories, but that was it. He seemed incredibly bored with it all himself, his writing was impossible to copy and though the notes are good, this isn't because he was a good lecturer. N&S - I agree he was incredibly intelligent, and in hindsight supplied really quite good proofs/notes (like the non-induction proof of IEP), but he's was so boring I remember struggling through the basic definition of a sequence converging because I couldn't stand to read the notes because they reminded me of the tedium. Thankfully, awesome yorkshire analysis bloke has fixed all that damage Differential Equations was good, and I think he made the best of a bad course. Vector Calculus I don't like already Probably the course itself as it's not exactly riveting, but he doesn't seem to make it particularly fun or profound. Probability guy is good, and I'm hoping he stays as good, even when we get round to doing actual probability. Who's left... D&R :shifty: Boring course, boring subject matter and boring lecturer. He has no reprieve in my eyes :p: (And believe me, A-level mech doesn't make a difference to the murky water that he seems to have presented me with). That was rather long.

Re: formal - I'm not sure whether I'll be able to come, but I'll decide quickly. Gesar, you should consider going, I was at the last TSR meet, and I didn't talk a lot, which might have been a bit awkward, but it was still nice!
    :eyeball:

I shall consider going :p: And reply forthwith.

ReputationRep:
    Gesar, you should definitely come! We can chat properly in person!

I'm really looking forward to Clare And it being the first TSR meet in Cambridge where I'll have stayed for more than fifteen minutes :p:

ReputationRep:
    is chewwy still around btw? after some generally stalking I've been laid to believe he has a video of my jelly wrestling/arrest which id very much like to see...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.