Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I feel that 1.30am is the worst time to discover that you're really really interested in your essay. Gosh, I really should start these things a little sooner... I'm sure I've written about 1000 words just planning the thing, now for the writing :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I'm on KeyBored, what are you on? :p:
    A chair. It swivels

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Ukebert sorry but your flowchart doesn't make a huge amount of sense, at first glance anyway :p:

I thought I knew how train air brakes work (don't ask how or why, I don't know where I read it anymore...possibly one of those times on wiki when you click a link, and another link, and another link...but anyway) but I can't relate that to what your diagram shows
    As I suspected I should probably have labelled the left hand side "engine", the right hand side "Guard's van" and the middle "train". I think it needs me rethinking it tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    A chair. It swivels
    *hates Scipio with the passion of a thousand suns* :hmmm:

My chair doesn't swivel :dry:

ReputationRep:

*rotates*

:cool:

ReputationRep:

Mine does I'm the only person I know who has a proper computer chair in their room in college, it's very strange. I'm immensely grateful to whoever procured it for me anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

This is the piping diagram from the loco. I simplified it into 7 boxes and 8 lines.

ReputationRep:
    Crags and the linguists: Is it me or does Barthes repeat a lot of the same stuff in many, many different ways? Or am I just stupid?

ReputationRep:
    My chair doesn't swivel, but it is a really squishy beanchair with back support :yep:
    (Original post by smilepea)
    1st year rep :o:
    You crazy girl :lolwut:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I feel that 1.30am is the worst time to discover that you're really really interested in your essay. Gosh, I really should start these things a little sooner... I'm sure I've written about 1000 words just planning the thing, now for the writing :teeth:
    Ergh, you too? I've still got so much reading to do tonight :coma:
    (Original post by minimo)
    Crags and the linguists: Is it me or does Barthes repeat a lot of the same stuff in many, many different ways? Or am I just stupid?
    Can't you take out a book that critically introduces him instead? It would be shorter. And I didn't read him, just about his theory for an essay.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Ergh, you too? I've still got so much reading to do tonight :coma:
    I've decided that I've done enough reading, because I'm now delving into things that are highly irrelevant but so tempting to add in although they'd contribute absolutely nothing to the whole point of the essay. Still haven't managed to start writing though. It's one of those circumstances where your plan is so meticulous that you don't want to ruin your sense of achievement by turning it into a rubbishy essay so you just hit a block.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I've decided that I've done enough reading, because I'm now delving into things that are highly irrelevant but so tempting to add in although they'd contribute absolutely nothing to the whole point of the essay. Still haven't managed to start writing though. It's one of those circumstances where your plan is so meticulous that you don't want to ruin your sense of achievement by turning it into a rubbishy essay so you just hit a block.
    What is this planning you speak of? :lolwut:

I usually only barely manage the reading I'm meant to do (if that) and then figure out what I'm going to say in a giant hurry at 3am before the deadline :o:

ReputationRep:
    Can't you take out a book that critically introduces him instead? It would be shorter. And I didn't read him, just about his theory for an essay.
    I understand far more after having read wikipedia. :o: And yes that is a good idea. I hadn't actually come across Barthes till my supervisor reccommended him and I'm going to have a talk with him because I do POLITICS (!!) and I don't want to/can't/am too ignorant to ( :p: ) have this turn into a Soc. style diss.

ReputationRep:

I usually only barely manage the reading I'm meant to do (if that) and then figure out what I'm going to say in a giant hurry at 3am before the deadline :o:
    :console:

I haaaaaave to plan. I literally CANNOT write ANYTHING without planning. It's very odd - when I was in school I hated planning and used to actually jot down plans to please the teacher after having written the essay. Oh how times have changed!!

ReputationRep:

I'm an absolutely obsessive planner. I work on them for hours and hours so that when it comes to writing the essay I have everything very ordered in my brain, otherwise it turns into a huge jumbled mess, I suppose for the same reason that I have to write each individual piece of work on a post-it and stick it on my board - I can't hold everything in my head well enough! My boyfriend has one of my plans pinned to his board because he said it was pretty :rolleyes:

They help for revision anyway, if they're condensed enough and well-referenced (which this one isn't).

ReputationRep:
    I understand far more after having read wikipedia. :o: And yes that is a good idea. I hadn't actually come across Barthes till my supervisor reccommended him and I'm going to have a talk with him because I do POLITICS (!!) and I don't want to/can't/am too ignorant to ( :p: ) have this turn into a Soc. style diss.
    They're interrelated. The barriers dividing them are very illusory. The deeper the analysis, the more they merge into the same plane of analysis. Just roll with it. You don't need to understand Barthes inside and out, you just need to be able to draw comparisons from his structures to your own specific area of focus.

ReputationRep:
    They're interrelated. The barriers dividing them are very illusory. The deeper the analysis, the more they merge into the same plane of analysis. Just roll with it. You don't need to understand Barthes inside and out, you just need to be able to draw comparisons from his structures to your own specific area of focus.
    yes that's what I'm doing.

I'm just silly being panicky sooo_far in advance, but you know me!

Thanks for all your help with this Crags

ReputationRep:
    I've always held 'plans' in my mind. Its usually just a broad idea of how I will tackles something before I start writing. My introduction helps me to cement the approach a little further, and then it all comes together as I write. I've forced myself to direct more thought towards argument structure this year. The two exams where I first wrote out clear essay plans before starting were the two I scored best in, and many supervisors like the outline of the argument to be extremely clear from the offset. It seems like a good habit and skill to be acquiring.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for all your help with this Crags
    No problem. I'm panicking a little about my research project. Essentially people are choosing their projects pretty much now, and contacting supervisors so they can make a start over Christmas. I'm torn between joining one of the many projects that the department allows you to sign up to. These involve researching for an academic towards something they're already doing.
    However there's something I'd really love to research for my own interest. The difficulty is deciding whether stepping out is worth it. It might require alot more work, and very careful planning and structuring. Working under someone else I'd have more guidance.
    I really have no idea what I should do And on top of it I have more work this week than the rest of the term put together, so not much spare cranial room for deciding :banghead:

ReputationRep:
    I've always held 'plans' in my mind. Its usually just a broad idea of how I will tackles something before I start writing. My introduction helps me to cement the approach a little further, and then it all comes together as I write. I've forced myself to direct more thought towards argument structure this year. The two exams where I first wrote out clear essay plans before starting were the two I scored best in, and many supervisors like the outline of the argument to be extremely clear from the offset. It seems like a good habit and skill to be acquiring.
    I hated planning before my AS year, when it became apparent that it was pretty vital for me writing a decent essay. My introductions are always fairly pathetic (especially the one I'm writing now!) and therefore can't be relied on to cement anything in an essay. It was my personal study in History that kicked off my current, methodical tactic because it was a stupidly complicated argument that made very little sense the first few times I wrote it out, but gradually emerged as something quite good after several brainstorms.

I've written an introduction and broken out the Ritz crackers. Here we go... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Weeeell, given the situation you've described I would do the faculty-sponsored research. In terms of maximising your marks, it's probably a safer option. You could always pursue your interest as part of a dissertation next year when you have time over the summer and the best part of a year to work on it?

Poll
Who is your favourite TV detective?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.