Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hmm ok. Guess we'll have to wait for Athena to post.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I'd still like to go to Clare formal :puppyeyes: we could meet Athena afterwards if she isn't busy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I wonder if Emmanuel do, but then I'm not even sure Zoe et al would be free to come to it.

Emma have formals every day except Wednesday, but the 1st is ringing massive bells in my head as a busy night. I'll check what's meant to be going on and see if I can help out at all. Sorry in advance if I can't

Eurgh, I've spent half the day crying over absolutely nothing. I feel so stupid here

ReputationRep:
    This is quite a cunning idea. However we only have Gesar. And potentially my cousin.
    How to formals work at your college Gesar?
    No meal for undergrads on a Monday I'm afraid. It must be a very special event Athena is going to :p:

(Original post by smilepea)
    I think it doesn't matter what we get in each paper just our score over all, ask your college parents?

why do you pity the physicists?
    I don't speak to my college parents. Our family was a bit of a disaster. Nothing bad... Just no one got on particularly well. And no one else has the maths marking system. I'll email me DoS.

And I pity physicists because not only do they use this maths regularly, but they have to do experiments to find it out in the first place :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haven;t been to Emma either! I really want to go, the only problem is that i can't guarantee which town/city/country I'll be making my way back from that day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    I'd still like to go to Clare formal :puppyeyes: we could meet Athena afterwards if she isn't busy.
    Yeah, I want to go to Clare formal and I want to see TSR people properly :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Me too - but I feel a bit responsible to Athena now that I screwed everything up by misunderstanding back then :shot:

I suspect that she won't be able to manage something TSRy after her Queens Dinner. From what Gesar said it will likely involve chitchat over port for hours on end afterwards and she'll be knackered.

It seems to only work if the bulk of us do formal on the second, and those of us with the luxury of free time on the Sunday meet up with her for drinks or something.
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Eurgh, I've spent half the day crying over absolutely nothing. I feel so stupid here
    What's the matter? :console:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    And I pity physicists because not only do they use this maths regularly, but they have to do experiments to find it out in the first place :p:
    I suspect any maths we use is an amusing watering-down of whatever you're doing.

Experiments are awful, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I don't speak to my college parents. Our family was a bit of a disaster. Nothing bad... Just no one got on particularly well. And no one else has the maths marking system. I'll email me DoS.

Apparently they're changing the merit mark system this year (or so I hear) I would ask my college dad about failing a paper, but I doubt he'd know about that (or be very sympathetic to my concerns :rolleyes: )

ah ok this makes sense now

also getting a contact lens stuck somewhere round the side of your eye is NOT a pleasant experience!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    I suspect any maths we use is an amusing watering-down of whatever you're doing.

Experiments are awful, though.
    you have no idea how sick I am of one of my friends complaining about the gyroscope experiment!!

ReputationRep:
    Apparently they're changing the merit mark system this year (or so I hear) I would ask my college dad about failing a paper, but I doubt he'd know about that (or be very sympathetic to my concerns :rolleyes: )

ah ok this makes sense now

also getting a contact lens stuck somewhere round the side of your eye is NOT a pleasant experience!
    The only change I know they're making is giving a helluva lot more credit for alphas in the first category. Something like 30x number of alphas plus 10x number of betas plus marks, as opposed to 12 and 6 or something last year. Though my DoS admits she hasn't been told finalisations :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    The only change I know they're making is giving a helluva lot more credit for alphas in the first category. Something like 30x number of alphas plus 10x number of betas plus marks, as opposed to 12 and 6 or something last year. Though my DoS admits she hasn't been told finalisations :p:

Yes, but I here there's going to be some kind of two tear cut off system, something like it's going to be mark + 10x alpha + 3x beta and then set the 2.ii cut off, with the 1st/2.is going into the next round when it's then mark + 30x alpha + 3x beta to determine who gets a first apparently.

ReputationRep:
    What's the matter? :console:
    Supervision essay/the rest of my work/everyone on my floor has gone out and I've got no-one to vent to. My boyfriend's gone over to Danielle's room to work and I don't want to disturb them, but feel really down. Everyone's probably fed up of my mood swings anyway

I just feel like I'm struggling to keep up with all the other linguists in college. It's a high flying college for languages, there's a lot of pressure on us to get firsts, and I've been told straight out that 2.2s aren't good enough. Seeing as I averaged a borderline 2.2/2.1 in my supervision reports, and feel absolutely swamped with work and unable to keep up with the others, it looks like that grade will slip down. I just hate feeling like I'm the worst at everything

ReputationRep:
    Supervision essay/the rest of my work/everyone on my floor has gone out and I've got no-one to vent to. My boyfriend's gone over to Danielle's room to work and I don't want to disturb them, but feel really down. Everyone's probably fed up of my mood swings anyway

I just feel like I'm struggling to keep up with all the other linguists in college. It's a high flying college for languages, there's a lot of pressure on us to get firsts, and I've been told straight out that 2.2s aren't good enough. Seeing as I averaged a borderline 2.2/2.1 in my supervision reports, and feel absolutely swamped with work and unable to keep up with the others, it looks like that grade will slip down. I just hate feeling like I'm the worst at everything
    Don't worry - they don't like to predict you good things in case you relax and let your guard down. No supervisors can really have an idea how well you'll do from just Michaelmas. Its wild and often incorrect guesswork on their part which you should just ignore. Last year during revision and the Easter break I felt like I finally had a chance to catch up. And I was also the worst in my college for my subject - the other two got firsts and one was top of the year!
    Just focus on the work and don't think about the other stuff :flowers: One of my supervisors is also screaming 'first first first' at me in every supervision and I'm just tuning her out and telling myself not to think about that or get my hopes up because its pretty darn unlikely. At the end of the day you need to work for yourself - not your college or supervisors!

ReputationRep:

:console:
    if you've averaged 2.2:2.1, then thats already good, it means by the end of term you'll definitely be at a 2.1 ...
    and i know its easy for me to say that, but, if they want you to get a first, and you just get a 2.1, then screw them, its what you think that matters.
    You're not the worse at everything, I'm sure everyone pretends to be over the top, and pretends like they don't work, but get decent marks, but in fact they're probably feeling exactly like you...

Don't let this get you down

EDIT : John's has formal on Sundays... if people still want to go to formal...
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Also I was told 25 mins before I was ment to be meeting for my college rugby match that our game was on and then told 10 mins later it was off, gosh darn water logged pitches!!
    We managed to play football on John's pitches.

(Original post by scarlet ibis)
    ok then, dudes, formal's going to have to be on the 1st. Does Clare still do formals on Sundays? If not, what other colleges do?
    I can't do the 1st either, this is the third thing that I was meant to be doing that night.

:hugs: I know how you feel. I think our college is similar with Economics, apparently 2.ii/2.i just isn't good enough. But my DoS did imply that he knew that I was working hard, just not producing work of a high enough standard for him.

ReputationRep:
    I just hate feeling like I'm the worst at everything
    Welcome to Cambridge....

ReputationRep:
    you have no idea how sick I am of one of my friends complaining about the gyroscope experiment!!
    :rolleyes:

Well, it was absolutely ****...

ReputationRep:
    Regarding the formal and/or lunch: what's going on now? I'd like to come to one or t'other if I'm free - can someone facebook invite me or somesuch?

Edit: Thanks Craggy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Welcome to Cambridge....

It's certainly true that Cambridge makes you feel wonderfully average... (quote from a friend).. especially after reading V100...

and what do I do with my life... well..; :p: :p:

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.