Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me who 'Christopher Huang' is, because I think a nonTSRer randomer might have added themselves to the TSR event. If its one of you, can you PM me please! Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Yeh that was the only implausible bit. Those people who are that financially constrained must be too embarrassed to go to their colleges. Or they haven't applied for student finance.

:ditto:
    The people I know who do it don't do it out of desperation per se, I think they view it as an achievement to live so cheaply and prevent food going to waste (the amount the bakery throws away is criminal)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    The people I know who do it don't do it out of desperation per se, I think they view it as an achievement to live so cheaply and prevent food going to waste (the amount the bakery throws away is criminal)
    Yep. Understandable.

ReputationRep:
    Does that mean that you're a postgrad, or that you're final year but it didn't tell you anything on CamSis for Michaelmas?
    The former. Although I'm only going based on what the 'unofficial transcript' option on Camsis lets me see (which is everything except the rank for my 4th year). My official transcript might have it on but I don't have that to hand.

ReputationRep:
    Can somebody tell me who 'Christopher Huang' is, because I think a nonTSRer randomer might have added themselves to the TSR event. If its one of you, can you PM me please! Thanks
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=193264

Selwynite. But I didn't invite him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/member.php?u=193264

Selwynite. But I didn't invite him.
    Ok thanks. A bit disconcerting, but nvmd.

ReputationRep:
    Disconcerting? How so? :p:

ReputationRep:
    possibily a lurker? neither seen nor heard?

ReputationRep:
    Disconcerting? How so? :p:
    Because TSRers who don't frequent CamChat but want to come along to something, usually post in Camchat, or do something by way of introducing themselves rather than turning up in person when they're complete strangers to everyone there! Could be awkward.
    (Original post by munro90)
    Precisely. Bit of a transparity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by munro90)
    He used to post in this forum on a regular basis.

ReputationRep:
    Because TSRers who don't frequent CamChat but want to come along to something, usually post in Camchat, or do something by way of introducing themselves rather than turning up in person when they're complete strangers to everyone there! Could be awkward.
    I see :p: I know him quite well!

ReputationRep:
    I see :p: I know him quite well!
    That's fine then.

ReputationRep:
    My college sister ONLY eats eggs and museli (out of choice and to save money), and probably spends about £3 a day, even including entertainment (occasional)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    My college sister ONLY eats eggs and museli (out of choice and to save money), and probably spends about £3 a day, even including entertainment (occasional)
    That's too over the top, and pretty stupid, tbh.

ReputationRep:
    Why would you hold a £10 note up to the light to check it? If I were planning to embark on a grand enterprise of money-laundering and fraud, buying my lunch in Boots with a fake £10 note would not form a major part of the undertaking...

ReputationRep:
    Yeh that was the only implausible bit. Those people who are that financially constrained must be too embarrassed to go to their colleges. Or they haven't applied for student finance.
    I can understand people being too embarrassed to talk to their college about financial difficulties (although they really shouldn't be) but I don't think that all the financially struggling people haven't applied for student finance. I think that people who don't qualify for the Maintenance Grant (and therefore no Newton Bursary) could potentially have quite a difficult time because earnings from holiday jobs etc. won't necessarily bring in a huge amount and not everyone's parents are in a position to/want to help them out financially. I'm lucky in that, although I don't get a grant, I had a reasonably well-paid summer job and my parents help me out (which I am incredibly grateful for) but not everyone will get this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    I can understand people being too embarrassed to talk to their college about financial difficulties (although they really shouldn't be) but I don't think that all the financially struggling people haven't applied for student finance. I think that people who don't qualify for the Maintenance Grant (and therefore no Newton Bursary) could potentially have quite a difficult time because earnings from holiday jobs etc. won't necessarily bring in a huge amount and not everyone's parents are in a position to/want to help them out financially. I'm lucky in that, although I don't get a grant, I had a reasonably well-paid summer job and my parents help me out (which I am incredibly grateful for) but not everyone will get this.
    Yeh I know its the middle class students who can be hit the worst, but I think even these must be able to live in the way Athena described above - living off hall and spending nothing.

The other thing is that the daily estimate of monetary allowance is nonindicative. Someone on TSR (a Homertonian I think) mentioned last year that he was very strapped and had about £8 a week. You could probably buy a week's worth of very cheap food with that if you went to Aldi's or somewhere and bought the cheapest of the cheap.

People don't go out every day and see how £3 will stretch. They do it bulk which then divides up ok.

When I first moved to the UK I was on £10 a week. Still its a pain. And stressful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Nandos suits me for Sunday Can you get student discount/use Student Beans vouchers there?
    :dontknow: someone else might though.

What time will you get to Cam?

ReputationRep:
    Yeh I know its the middle class students who can be hit the worst, but I think even these must be able to live in the way Athena described above - living off hall and spending nothing.

The other thing is that the daily estimate of monetary allowance is nonindicative. Someone on TSR (a Homertonian I think) mentioned last year that he was very strapped and had about £8 a week. You could probably buy a week's worth of very cheap food with that if you went to Aldi's or somewhere and bought the cheapest of the cheap.

People don't go out every day and see how £3 will stretch. They do it bulk which then divides up ok.

When I first moved to the UK I was on £10 a week. Still its a pain. And stressful.
    Oh, I'm sure it's possible to live like that (and I've had a very narrow escape from it) but it's still pretty miserable. And I think it's harder to live like that here than at other universities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Oh, I'm sure it's possible to live like that (and I've had a very narrow escape from it) but it's still pretty miserable. And I think it's harder to live like that here than at other universities.
    Yes definitely. People assume that you can just dish out whenever it takes your fancy, and it must be quite embarrassing to mention that you can't afford something.. and I think people are quite insensitive and can look at you askance for it. On my gap year I had a friend who came from a very wealthy family and never had any money problems, and she often seemed mildly annoyed whenever I refused or opted out of something purely because I couldn't afford it
    Aside from the social things its just stressful - and it means you constantly have to analyse everything you do and spend.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.