Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Oh, I'm sure it's possible to live like that (and I've had a very narrow escape from it) but it's still pretty miserable. And I think it's harder to live like that here than at other universities.
    Particularly since so many colleges have really rubbish self-catering facilities. Eating in hall can be pretty expensive.

ReputationRep:
    Cheapest way to live is definitely self catered. 10p basics noodles all the way

ReputationRep:
    Yes definitely. People assume that you can just dish out whenever it takes your fancy, and it must be quite embarrassing to mention that you can't afford something.. and I think people are quite insensitive and can look at you askance for it. On my gap year I had a friend who came from a very wealthy family and never had any money problems, and she often seemed mildly annoyed whenever I refused or opted out of something purely because I couldn't afford it
    Aside from the social things its just stressful - and it means you constantly have to analyse everything you do and spend.
    Yes, that's exactly it. I think some people just find it hard to understand that not everyone can spend £150 on a May Ball ticket just like that.

Particularly since so many colleges have really rubbish self-catering facilities. Eating in hall can be pretty expensive.
    Especially when one's college requires one to buy x number of dinner tickets per term!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Cheapest way to live is definitely self catered. 10p basics noodles all the way
    You'd cut a loss at Peterhouse because they make us eat half of the term's evening meals at hall or be fined Also the requirement is to spend a minimum of £2 per evening on those meals :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Wow, that's harsh
    Our Bursar is the reincarnation of Scrooge :reaper:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Why would you hold a £10 note up to the light to check it? If I were planning to embark on a grand enterprise of money-laundering and fraud, buying my lunch in Boots with a fake £10 note would not form a major part of the undertaking...
    I've had that too. Clearly it's because sciencey types with longish hair are bound to be secret criminals.

ReputationRep:
    I assume you've tried to get that changed?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I think we're fairly well-off with the food situation here. It's just ok-priced but not great food on a take-it-or-leave-it basis, which seems less harsh than the mandatory eating at other colleges.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I assume you've tried to get that changed?
    Gnargh. Well the majority of students don't give a damn, to be honest. The JCR doesn't do much..
    I guess the plus side is that Peterhouse is very generous if a person is struggling to make ends meet.

:sigh: Library time :creep:

ReputationRep:
    Speaking of books, I went into Heffers the other day. I didn't think much of it... Too many non-fiction books, horrible layout and difficult to navigate

EDIT: And can any mathmo better than myself please tell me if the 'twiddle' notation Gowers introduced is at all rigorous?

Ie, can we write that if a_n-->a, then Sum (1 to n) of a_n ~ na?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    I've had that too. Clearly it's because sciencey types with longish hair are bound to be secret criminals.
    lol

ReputationRep:
    i find eating on a budget an interesting challenge. I had to do it a lot when i was in London, but it helped that i lived 2 mins from an iceland. When i was a student, it was more difficult cos i felt that time was more precious than money so if i could eat quicker by going to hall then i did.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, out of interest, do SPSers do anything on Grice?

ReputationRep:
    Just auditioned for Peterhouse May Ball

It went well

ReputationRep:
    I live very frugally. I rarely spend any money on going out (because we prefer nights in watching films and chatting to clubbing), and eat about half my meals in hall and half from Sainsburys, generally Basics. It's possibly to have a perfectly nice lifestyle while spending very little

I'm one of the middle class students who are affected badly by the lack of grant and bursary. My parents can't afford to help me out much, but I get by

ReputationRep:
    Nandos suits me for Sunday Can you get student discount/use Student Beans vouchers there?
    I'm not sure, but I get my NHS discount there :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Speaking of books, I went into Heffers the other day. I didn't think much of it... Too many non-fiction books, horrible layout and difficult to navigate

EDIT: And can any mathmo better than myself please tell me if the 'twiddle' notation Gowers introduced is at all rigorous?

Ie, can we write that if a_n-->a, then Sum (1 to n) of a_n ~ na?
    I spent about 2.5 hours in Heffers yesterday, and came away with 6 books. All non-medical and even some fiction:eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Hmm, out of interest, do SPSers do anything?
    harsh but fair Herr Grunch

ReputationRep:
    As in, Grice's maxims for language?
    Yep, well the cooperative principle in general.
    (Original post by Apagg)
    harsh but fair Herr Grunch
    *awaits Craggy's rage* :p:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I don't know about SPSers but philosophers certainly do. Good old philosophy of language.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.