Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    I don't know about SPSers but philosophers certainly do. Good old philosophy of language.
    I'm a rabid Wittgenstein fan, but not quite as keen on Grice, though it's still fun. I have an essay on the cooperative principle at the moment.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Yeah we did Grice in second year. I didn't find it particularly interesting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Why would you hold a £10 note up to the light to check it? If I were planning to embark on a grand enterprise of money-laundering and fraud, buying my lunch in Boots with a fake £10 note would not form a major part of the undertaking...
    i always have that done to me. i mean do I look like a criminal?!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Speaking of books, I went into Heffers the other day. I didn't think much of it... Too many non-fiction books, horrible layout and difficult to navigate

EDIT: And can any mathmo better than myself please tell me if the 'twiddle' notation Gowers introduced is at all rigorous?

Ie, can we write that if a_n-->a, then Sum (1 to n) of a_n ~ na?
    It is standard notation. I'm pretty sure Worster used it as well. f(x) \sim g(x) if \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1. (See asymptotic analysis.) It is true that \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i \sim n a, but this is something you have to prove (hence, Q8 on our Analysis I example sheet).

ReputationRep:
    It would be less noticeable if you used counterfeit £10 notes than say, £50 notes...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    It is standard notation. I'm pretty sure Worster used it as well. f(x) \sim g(x) if \displaystyle \lim_{x \to \infty} \frac{f(x)}{g(x)} = 1. (See asymptotic analysis.) It is true that \displaystyle \sum_{i=1}^{n} a_i \sim n a, but this is something you have to prove (hence, Q8 on our Analysis I example sheet).
    Aye, that's where it came from. I just wanted to know I was doing it the right way before jumping in with an invalid thing I was trying to prove :p:

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Speaking of books, I went into Heffers the other day. I didn't think much of it... Too many non-fiction books, horrible layout and difficult to navigate
    :eek: - the layout is my favourite thing about it! Its like walking into a mouth-watering treasure cavern! :love: All other bookshops pale away in comparison... Waterstones is knocked off its pedestal to a level close to the mediocre, and Borders becomes the epitome of harsh, invasive garishness :p:
    [/OBSESSIVENESS]

(Original post by The West Wing)
    Just auditioned for Peterhouse May Ball

It went well
    I passed a whole bunch of you (while dashing back home from our library adjacent to the music room to grab some caffeine) including a second year SPSer from Newnham who I sometimes share supervisions with.

On the topic: Jade - Petreans can now request additional May Ball tickets in advance of the public from today, so let me know if that helps.
    (Original post by Apagg)
    harsh but fair Herr Grunch
    :bawling:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Hmm, out of interest, do SPSers do anything on Grice?
    For Part IIa Social Theory we touch on Heidegger, Husserl, Gadamer and one or two older ones I've forgotten. And obviously Wittgenstein is frequently referred to. There's an advanced Social Theory paper in IIa which may well go into a bit more detail such as Grice, but I can't tell you yet :p:

ReputationRep:
    erg I have been in the library all day since I went to brunch, and I have completed no questions, God I love it when the questions have no relevence what so ever to when we've been "taught" in lectures :sigh:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    [COLOR=#0099FF]:eek: - the layout is my favourite thing about it! Its like walking into a mouth-watering treasure cavern! :love: All other bookshops pale away in comparison... Waterstones is knocked off its pedestal to a level close to the mediocre, and Borders becomes the epitome of harsh, invasive garishness :p:
    Foyles is the best bookshop ever :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Foyles is the best bookshop ever :p:
    Where is that?

ReputationRep:
    Where is that?
    Charing Cross Road.

ReputationRep:
    Charing Cross Road.
    I assumed we were discussing bookshops that Cambridge students could walk to... :p:

ReputationRep:
    Charing Cross Road.
    My knowledge of Cambridge is so bad that I need to ask if that is in Cambridge? EDIT: No, nevermind :p:

And your avatar's motion is strangely hypnotic.

ReputationRep:
    Bleh, a very unproductive day.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    And your avatar's motion is strangely hypnotic.
    I remember thinking that about 3years ago when he first had it...

What exactly is he doing, brim?

ReputationRep:
    And why 'ex' minimod? Does he not want you anymore? :p:

ReputationRep:
    I remember thinking that about 3years ago when he first had it...

What exactly is he doing, brim?
    He's doing something from http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT15jSnt8w. I love that advert. :love:

And sorry, I didn't realise we were referring to Cambridge bookshops only :p:

And :mad: Norton is not accepting my debit card to let me renew my anti virus

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    And why 'ex' minimod? Does he not want you anymore? :p:
    I was his minimod then I stopped being a minimod :p: Thus I can't be his minimod any more. :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    He's doing something from http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=VqT15jSnt8w. I love that advert. :love:

Don't use Norton :eek:

Ask on the computing forum for a good, free anti-virus software. They -do- exist, and are almost certainly better than Norton. Norton has a habit of inventing tracking cookies for it to detect, and hence gives the impression it's doing a good job.

And I now understand the ex-minimod thing :yep:

ReputationRep:

Don't your college offer an antivirus for you? :shifty:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.