Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    I hated planning before my AS year, when it became apparent that it was pretty vital for me writing a decent essay. My introductions are always fairly pathetic (especially the one I'm writing now!) and therefore can't be relied on to cement anything in an essay. It was my personal study in History that kicked off my current, methodical tactic because it was a stupidly complicated argument that made very little sense the first few times I wrote it out, but gradually emerged as something quite good after several brainstorms.

I've written an introduction and broken out the Ritz crackers. Here we go... :p:
    oo I'm the opposite. My intros are probs the best bits of my essays and my supervisors' comments in the margins suggest so as well :p:. I find it's really fulfilling (and useful to the reader) to literally give a brief summary of everything you are going to argue (including counterarguments/tangent-y) stuff in the intro so that they can see exactly where you are going.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    oo I'm the opposite. My intros are probs the best bits of my essays and my supervisors' comments in the margins suggest so as well :p:. I find it's really fulfilling (and useful to the reader) to literally give a brief summary of everything you are going to argue (including counterarguments/tangent-y) stuff in the intro so that they can see exactly where you are going.
    I think my problem is that I always end up contradicting my introduction, because while writing the essay I sometimes find that a tangent takes me away from where I thought it would and I suddenly arrive at a different conclusion. So I attempt to leave the introductions fairly open ended, and they generally end up dense and unrelated. Haven't had anyone telling me they're awful yet though, thankfully.

ReputationRep:
    I've written an introduction and broken out the Ritz crackers. Here we go... :p:
    Lol.. the only problem with late nights :rolleyes:

I was forced to adapt last year because my Sociology supervisor wouldn't accept an essay with an introduction less than 400words :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Lol.. the only problem with late nights :rolleyes:

I was forced to adapt last year because my Sociology supervisor wouldn't accept an essay with an introduction less than 400words :dry:
    I've put on a disgusting amount of weight since I've been here, it's all this snacking. I never snacked at home

400 words?! Mine is 79 and I'm not planning on adding to it :o: Maybe this is why I can never write long enough essays...

ReputationRep:
    woah, that's a lot Crags...300 is an absolute max for my intros, usually it's around 250. :sadnod:

anyways, bed! x

ReputationRep:
    My intros are probs the best bits of my essays and my supervisors' comments in the margins suggest so as well :p:. I find it's really fulfilling (and useful to the reader) to literally give a brief summary of everything you are going to argue (including counterarguments/tangent-y) stuff in the intro so that they can see exactly where you are going.
    The SPS way :yep:
    You could always pursue your interest as part of a dissertation next year when you have time over the summer and the best part of a year to work on it?
    :no: Its a one off opportunity I'm afraid. Its something that can only be explored by my doing the research first hand, and its not big enough that I'd want to go into it at post-grad or anything. I couldn't look at it in a dissertation next year, because that would be literature not primary source based, and there isn't very much work/information on this area.
    I suspect you're right about being 'safe' but then this could also be a huge confidence boost for me, and a good challenge. So - as said - I'm torn.

ReputationRep:
    I've put on a disgusting amount of weight since I've been here, it's all this snacking. I never snacked at home
    For some strange reason I lost weight last year, and this was after introducing about a kilogram of chocolate a week into my diet :confused: I don't snack, but I often slept through breakfast, and if I stayed up to work I'd usually suddenly get ravenous at about 3am, and plough through crates of chocolate

ReputationRep:
    My friend has just had a baby and no jokes, I think she has some of the cutest baby pics on her FB EVER.

must.stop.stalking.must.start.sl eeping

ReputationRep:
    Cool

ReputationRep:
    :yawn: Good morning everyone

ReputationRep:
    Still essaying I fell asleep on my laptop last night and felt that it was a good time to stop so went to bed. I just wish I'd started this sooner - it's the first essay I'm not tearing my hair out over and I want to take my time and enjoy it But it's due in around 48 minutes, so I suppose that's a luxury I can't afford (although my supervisor tends to be quite flexible, so it might be alright...).

ReputationRep:
    Eek! Good luck Zoe

I'm completely shattered :stickyman: Really should have slept sooner. Just consuming a pot of green tea, then going to install myself into the library until this essay's written.

ReputationRep:
    Eek! Good luck Zoe

I'm completely shattered :stickyman: Really should have slept sooner. Just consuming a pot of green tea, then going to install myself into the library until this essay's written.
    Ho hum - 16 minutes and another 700 words to go :rolleyes: I'm waiting for some kind of mad inspiration to hit...

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to try Varsity's trick with the blank attachment.

ReputationRep:
    lol!!

ReputationRep:
    You'll have to try Varsity's trick with the blank attachment.
    It's handwritten I always handwrite my essays. Unfortunately, that means I need to catch my supervisor before he leaves college so that I can hand it to him in paper form. I think this one may need to be typed up and emailed though, as it's clearly not going to be done on time. Maybe the fact that it's the best essay I've written all term will blind him to the more unfortunate fact that it's late.

ReputationRep:
    How many words, and why do you write by hand?

ReputationRep:
    How many words, and why do you write by hand?
    1500-2000, and because I get headaches if I stare at computer screens for too long and my brain just seems to work better and it flows more if I handwrite. I have neat handwriting so there's never been a problem with legibility. Even if they asked for it to be typed I would still always draft and redraft by hand. I've always been like that - it means that a lot of my coursework took twice as long because I had to write it out and then type it up, but I know that my essays are better for it. Is it so unusual to handwrite essays?

ReputationRep:
    The SPS way :yep:

:no: Its a one off opportunity I'm afraid. Its something that can only be explored by my doing the research first hand, and its not big enough that I'd want to go into it at post-grad or anything. I couldn't look at it in a dissertation next year, because that would be literature not primary source based, and there isn't very much work/information on this area.
    I suspect you're right about being 'safe' but then this could also be a huge confidence boost for me, and a good challenge. So - as said - I'm torn.
    In that case screw being safe and do it. Seriously. I really shouldn't give people advice you know.

For some strange reason I lost weight last year, and this was after introducing about a kilogram of chocolate a week into my diet :confused: I don't snack, but I often slept through breakfast, and if I stayed up to work I'd usually suddenly get ravenous at about 3am, and plough through crates of chocolate
    For me it around 2am that I get a craving for sweet things. Unfortunately if I have some chocolate it will be gone very quickly. Last night I drank a litre of bitter lemon and ate 230g of chocolate. I don't think that I am going to lose weight this term somehow :p:

ReputationRep:
    I've been handwriting my essays (~1500 words) since the start of my second year (not that I do many essays any more...). I tend to be more succinct and procrastinate less, and also end up writing quicker (but thinking for longer...!). It's also useful in medical sciences because we are encouraged to add diagrams etc. where appropriate, which is a lot easier when you handwrite the essays.

In my year at clinical school, the stuff we submit is handwritten as the vast majority of patients' notes are handwritten, or something.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.