Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I spent FIVE HOURS looking for a Vegetarian Haggis today, then gave up and spent two hours cooking my own. Which wasn't bad really, considering I completely just made it up...

Hence, through no fault of my own, I'm only starting my reading tonight. Joys.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Awww a person on the ME thread in H&R just made a post saying that he can't remember her name, but that there's someone with the usertitle 'spoon of thoughtfulness' that has ME on TSR. I feel loved :love:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Awww a person on the ME thread in H&R just made a post saying that he can't remember her name, but that there's someone with the usertitle 'spoon of thoughtfulness' that has ME on TSR. I feel loved :love:
    I imagine there's a story behind that usertitle that meant it made sense, but I always found it pleasingly random

ReputationRep:
    It went with the old avatar I think (pic of FJ looking thoughtful with spoon in hand in a formal or something).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    I spent FIVE HOURS looking for a Vegetarian Haggis today, then gave up and spent two hours cooking my own. Which wasn't bad really, considering I completely just made it up....
    You should be coming to my formal on Tuesday, I've got veggie haggis then :p: Can I ask what is actually in a veggie one? I'm thinking I might have to get some takeaway noodles from Dojo too, in case it's horrible. :p:

In fact, some Scottish girl here made haggis today.

I did an hour of notes on just war from 10-11 this evening. Really enjoying this topic

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    It went with the old avatar I think (pic of FJ looking thoughtful with spoon in hand in a formal or something).
    Yes, I remember the avatarm just thought there might be a reason for the looking-thoughtful-while-holding-a-spoon.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    It was first year, I really can't remember.

I've decided I'm handing this essay in at 1am no matter what state its in, so the next hour is not going to be fun, but at least I then get to sleep. I'm knackered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    lol, at least you get a cooker.
    Several people have been confused by this this evening - I meant hobs, not an oven. For some reason lots of people think an oven is a cooker :dontknow:

And why on Earth is haggis suddenly so popular? They had it at guest night on Friday, one appeared in my fridge yesterday and people were saying today how nice they found it, and now it's on TSR too!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    For some reason lots of people think an oven is a cooker :dontknow:
    Maybe because it is? A hob's a hob.

ReputationRep:
    A cooker is an over + hob

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    A cooker is an over + hob
    Mmm, possibly.

Edit: Quick, somebody call Supergrunch. He'll tell us we're all right, then we can all sleep soundly

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Several people have been confused by this this evening - I meant hobs, not an oven. For some reason lots of people think an oven is a cooker :dontknow:

And why on Earth is haggis suddenly so popular? They had it at guest night on Friday, one appeared in my fridge yesterday and people were saying today how nice they found it, and now it's on TSR too!
    Burns' Night.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

d'oh.

--> wikipedia --> burns' night.

free haggis and whisky in the union tonight, plus ceilidh, was big lols.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    You should be coming to my formal on Tuesday, I've got veggie haggis then :p: Can I ask what is actually in a veggie one? I'm thinking I might have to get some takeaway noodles from Dojo too, in case it's horrible. :p:

In fact, some Scottish girl here made haggis today.

I did an hour of notes on just war from 10-11 this evening. Really enjoying this topic
    Well, if you're offering... :p: In the haggis I made (which was losely based on a recipe I found online, minus the stuff I didn't have) I had pearl barley, lentils, kidney beans, onions, mushrooms... I basically mashed them all together to make a paste, made it into a roundish shape, & baked it for a bit. If you like lentil bake, you should like veggie haggis :yep:

Hmmm, I may know the 'some scottish girl' to which you are refering (we had a pre-Cambridge meet in Edinburgh, you see...). I definitely know a blonde girl doing Chinese at Selwyn. Glad to hear my fellow Scots are upholding our traditions anyway

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wiio)
    d'oh.

--> wikipedia --> burns' night.

free haggis and whisky in the union tonight, plus ceilidh, was big lols.
    I was there!! I don't know who you are IRL, so I may or may not have danced with you... I was the v. short haired girl wearing a blue kilt, possibly with a manic grin. Good times!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Quick, somebody call Supergrunch. He'll tell us we're all right, then we can all sleep soundly
    You're all right. :rolleyes: (though I call the things with hobs cookers and the things with... heating elements and fans and stuff ovens)

Anyway, the best order:

linguistics > Yorkshire puddings > groups > analysis > most other things

But it was hell trying to place Yorkshire puddings and groups.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    I was there!! I don't know who you are IRL, so I may or may not have danced with you... I was the v. short haired girl wearing a blue kilt, possibly with a manic grin. Good times!
    Were you in the first couple during the second dance? If so, I was in the second couple...

ReputationRep:
    :woo:

ReputationRep:
    God it's taken me half an hour to read through this thread. ;

(Original post by Apagg)
    :rofl: at their demands, especially number 6
    Whilst I think that doing what they have been doing would be quite fun, if annoying for everyone else, those demands are patently ridiculous :p:

(Original post by Zhen Lin)
    I tend to agree that there wasn't much exciting in today's Dynamics lecture. If he had proven that there is no gravity inside a uniform spherical shell, maybe...
    We proved that for electrical charge in Engineering. Can't remember how the proof went though, it wasn't (as always) hugely rigorous What kind of things do you do in Dynamics btw? I'd be interested to know.

(Original post by Craghyrax)
    Dudes I'm NOT SENDING INVITES OUT until we know what's happening and when!!! :hmpf: So please ignore the fb invitation until we actually know what's going on. :hmmm:

I propose the following - (can people please respond to this post)

1: We continue with our plans and have a TSR meet on Monday the 2cnd, Clare formal
    2: Any of us who can, go somewhere for a bite to eat with Athena on Sunday. How about Nandos, or the India House?

Yay or Nay?
    Yay. I will certainly come to the Monday one and will do my utmost to come to the Sunday one.

(Original post by Zoedotdot)
    Thanks to everyone for supportive messages, it helps I've just had a rubbish day, things look a lot brighter now that my friends have come back and I've had lots of hugs.
    I skimmed over the original post, but I gather that you didn't do quite as well as some of the other people in your subject. Don't worry, I did exactly the same :o: And :hugs: if they are indeed still relevant (as I hope they are not).

With regards food, I can eat fairly well cooking for myself, 3 meals a day on around £20 a week. I wouldn't want to go below that, because although it would be possible it would mean cutting down on delicious things :o: At Cambridge I probably spend £15 a week just on breakfast, lunch and midnight snack

(Original post by Gesar)
    Speaking of books, I went into Heffers the other day. I didn't think much of it... Too many non-fiction books, horrible layout and difficult to navigate
    :eek: :eek2: :eek3: :eek4:

Dear dear, the wonderful thing about Heffers is that you walk in and you see books everywhere, the levels meaning that the whole is a kind of collage of books. You can wander there for ages, it's fantastic. I've always preferred bookshops that have a complicated layout, rather than rigid rows of bookcases stretching into the distance.

(Original post by Gesar)
    Several people h\ave been confused by this this evening - I meant hobs, not an oven. For some reason lots of people think an oven is a cooker :dontknow:

Hobs are hobs. Ovens are cookers. Although if we are being logical, a cooker is something that cooks :p:

And yeah, Burns night mean anything to you? :p:

With regards my sailing trip, it was tremendous fun, but having had a 5 hour night the night before, having a 4 hour sleep between watches on Friday night probably wasn't the best thing :o: I had the helm from 0230 to 0430 Saturday Morning on the way tp Brighton. I fell to sleep in the cockpit that evening and went into my shell a bit. Even felt slightly seasick when I went below. That's what not getting enough sleep does to you Today was much better though

I am going to sleep now. I cannot keep my eyes open.

Oh, and out of interest, this ceilidh, what was the band? CUCB are at Clare tonight I think.

ReputationRep:
    Still haven't watched Quantum of Solace :p:

Clare Cellars are definitely the nicest college bar I've been to!

Now to sober up so I can do some more reading before bed

Oh yeh :idea: I can procrastinate by writing a tipsy email to my shadow :teeth:

Edit: Haggis is overrated. I turned down Superhall at college because it was for Burns and had nothing tasty in it :dry:

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.