Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Still haven't watched Quantum of Solace :p:

Clare Cellars are definitely the nicest college bar I've been to!

Now to sober up so I can do some more reading before bed

Oh yeh :idea: I can procrastinate by writing a tipsy email to my shadow :teeth:
    I was about to write "how drunk are you?! " when I realised what you were talking about :o:

ReputationRep:

Now to sober up so I can do some more reading before bed

I haven't worked in weeks. I just while away the hours watching random documentaries on youtube and arguing with morons on TSR.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Oh my God. Just got an email from CUSU - those people occupying the law faculty (yes - they are still there) are trying to mandate CUSU Council to issue a statement regarding all that crap they wrote that was posted above. I completely disagree to them ratifying such a request, its totally absurd. I so wish I hadn't given up my vote on Council last term.

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah!
    Some of the requests are a bit pointless, but pressing institutions to promote government action is definitely the right thing to do.
    (Original post by vapid slut magician)
    I haven't worked in weeks. I just while away the hours watching random documentaries on youtube and arguing with morons on TSR.
    You don't have frequent deadlines anymore though. Sooner or later there comes a time when you have to do something!
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I was about to write "how drunk are you?! " when I realised what you were talking about :o:
    :rofl:
    And yeh - not drunk at all. Though briefly tipsy enough to not be too irritated/bored/awkward at the dancing. Someone I know was in one of the jazz bands and the music was very good

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    Oh my God. Just got an email from CUSU - those people occupying the law faculty (yes - they are still there) are trying to mandate CUSU Council to issue a statement regarding all that crap they wrote that was posted above. I completely disagree to them ratifying such a request, its totally absurd. I so wish I hadn't given up my vote on Council last term.
    Hmm, thankfully they didn't choose the raised faculty. A somewhat misguided protest, methinks...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Hmm, thankfully they didn't choose the raised faculty. A somewhat misguided protest, methinks...
    'raised faculty'? :confused:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    Where the philosophy and linguistics faculties are.

It isn't hurrah at all. What they are requesting is complete rubbish. They aren't even requesting government action, they are requesting that the University take action, and its got nothing to do with the university. Quite frankly it also has nothing at all to do with our country either. There is no reason whatsoever why CUSU should have any sort of stance on it.

ReputationRep:
    The creaky 60s building on stilts that houses linguistics, MML and (I think) philosophy and is right next to the law faculty. There's a picture here.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    In that picture it's the building on the left.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I haven't finished my essay but I'm exhausted. Do I give up, send it in and sleep or try and carry on at snail's pace?

ReputationRep:
    Hurrah!
    Some of the requests are a bit pointless, but pressing institutions to promote government action is definitely the right thing to do.
    You don't have frequent deadlines anymore though. Sooner or later there comes a time when you have to do something!
    :rofl:
    And yeh - not drunk at all. Though briefly tipsy enough to not be too irritated/bored/awkward at the dancing. Someone I know was in one of the jazz bands and the music was very good
    What kind of institutions? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Ok, his wording wasn't clear.
    It isn't hurrah at all. What they are requesting is complete rubbish.
    What are they requesting (re your email)?
    1 - Palestinian Scholarships - yes that's very unrelated and a bit random. Its not worth protesting for, but it can't hurt, so I'm not against it per se.
    2 - That the University take a stance
    3 - Divestment from Arms investment: How on earth can you possibly object to this!!!!? :eyeball:
    4 - I've forgotten the other points if they're not the wishy washy
    insubstantial ones like 'for solidarity'...

They aren't even requesting government action, they are requesting that the University take action,
    Good
    and its got nothing to do with the university...
    No...but the University is a respected institution that can put pressure on the government by publicly attacking its position.
    Quite frankly it also has nothing at all to do with our country either.
    We may as well disband the United Nations with that sort of attitude. The US has been actively supporting Israel, which immediately turns it into a matter of international concern. If for no other reason at all, all countries have a humanitarian obligation to intervene. Zimbabwe and Darfur are other examples in which the country doesn't want to get its hands dirty, but this isn't right!
    There is no reason whatsoever why CUSU should have any sort of stance on it.
    Of course there is. It represents the student body. A disastrously passive and desensitised student body - but seemingly a sufficient number would like their Union to represent their views and values!

This reminds me of last year when Peterhouse's JCR external officer tried to get the JCR to leave CUSU :dry:

I just don't understand why you're all getting so irritated by this. It can't be the "ridiculous" demands of the occupation, because you were equally annoyed a week or so back when a small throng of people held a political demonstration with fairly standard and non-ridiculous messages and foci.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    What kind of institutions? :confused:
    In this case Universities - which have several times in the past played host to political movements initiated by students.
    IMO, a large factor in why people now think of it as odd, or something that isn't anything to do with us ordinary people going about our day to day lives, is because the attitudes and dispositions of the populace have strongly altered in the last 20yrs or so. Its now recognised that sociologically the country faces apathy and a lack of voting interest among its young people.

Perhaps this is why its getting to me so much - I grew up in a country with alot of enthusiastic people with strong views who recently saw political transformation in their own country within their generation, and were quite accustomed to the thought of speaking out, and who highly valued their vote!
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have very strong political views, I just completely disagree with this, and I completely disagree with you on all your views above.

ReputationRep:
    I have very strong political views, I just completely disagree with this, and I completely disagree with you on all your views above.
    I think what's clear is that I'm equally frustrated and irritated by the complaints and criticisms that have been voiced in this thread about the Gaza conflict and the actions of Cambridge students/dwellers in response to it as many of you are with these actions themselves.

If people complain in my hearing/reading about this issue, I will be starting up the same argument and repetition of my beliefs, because I believe that they are extremely important, and that your intolerance is appalling. I think I probably agree more than it seems - eg protest should be for something feasible rather than something silly just because people feel like mindlessly doing something, but I still don't agree that any of it merits irritation and closed mindedness.

So we should probably call it a truce. Stop raising the issue, and I'll stop railing at you all.

And go to the Cafe Project on Wednesday night at 7:30, where there will be a debate about activisim, and whether or not its a good thing. (facilitated by The Cambridge Hub and People and Planet)
    I'll probably go if I have time. But certainly not participate - I get too wound up!

ReputationRep:
    I'm open to persuasion on most of the aims of the protest - although some of them seem a little like they've been tagged on even though they're not absolutely on topic (like the arms divestment). However, one thing i do feel strongly about is that CUSU should not take a stance on this issue or any other parcularly controversial, when it;s absolutely clear to me that it would not be representing the views of a significant proportion of students (e.g. Fadedjade and myself). I'm aware that people argue that it's not about taking sides, that it is about peoples lives/welfare etc, but it still looks a lot like taking sides and while it does so, CUSU shouldn't take a stance.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    CUSU Resolves:
    1.To voice our support of the Cambridge
    occupation, joining them in the following
    demands:
    For starters I disagree with the occupation being in the Law Faculty as it is disrupting people working and their education. They shouldn't make their protests in a place where people need to work.

i) We demand that Cambridge University issue a statement which condemns: Israel’s action in Gaza; the Israeli blockade of Gaza; and the continued Israeli presence in Gaza and the West Bank. This statement is to be issued in solidarity with international peace movements, in particular those in Israel and Palestine.
    I don't see why CUSU should demand that. There are more appropriate pressure groups that may request that. Demanding just makes them sound like petulant children for starters, and I don't believe it reflects enough of the students views to warrant it. I also don't think it is right that a University should comment on international affairs that have nothing to do with them.

ii) We demand that Cambridge University provide academic aid, particularly books, computers and financial support to universities in Gaza.
    Why on earth should we give them our money? They wouldn't be saying that if it wasn't for the political situation there. I honestly believe that they have no right to demand such a thing. I think it takes the piss tbh with you. A more general (and indeed separate) motion to help in such ways in other countries would be fine. But the whole thing is such a knee jerk reaction.

iii) We demand that Cambridge University commit to a day of fundraising for humanitarian aid in Gaza within the next two weeks, as part of an ongoing commitment to financial support for the humanitarian crisis in Gaza.
    I have no issue with this per se, but I don't see why the University should be pressured into doing any such thing. They can organise a fundraiser themselves.

iv) We demand that Cambridge University grant a minimum of ten Scholarships to Palestinian students every year.
    errrr...why? How is this in any way relevant? If the University wants to do such a thing then thats great, but why on earth it should be in here as one of their demands is beyond me.

v) We demand that Cambridge University and its colleges disinvest from the arms trade in cooperation with the existing Cambridge (and colleges) Against the Arms Trade movement.
    That is a separate issue from the one at hand, and should be discussed separately, not as part of this motion.

vi) We demand that no student will face punishment or repercussions, legal or
    otherwise, for participating in this demonstration.
    If a student faces repercussion for not doing their work because they were sat in the Law Faculty for three days then its their own stupid fault.

ReputationRep:
    I just cried my eyes out (can't quite believe it, I blub over TV but not this much blubbing) over this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...n_Switzerland/
    Definiitely reccommend it if you have some spare time.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    sorry craggy I was in the middle of writing that when you posted.

I'm going to bed now. night all

ReputationRep:
    Night FJ
    (Original post by minimo)
    I just cried my eyes out (can't quite believe it, I blub over TV but not this much blubbing) over this.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...n_Switzerland/
    Definiitely reccommend it if you have some spare time.
    Not if its going to make me cry :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.