Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Mmmh ... I'm torn on that one, because I think Cambridge really needs more modern flats, especially since it looks like the city is going to grow a lot in the coming years. I can't believe how bad the (private) housing situation here is to be honest, but I guess it's because I'm not from England. And while the group says "The proposed car park will encourage traffic along Chesterton Road, when we should be encouraging public transport, cycling and walking", I would think more accomodation near the center is good for reducing traffic and congestion. But there are plenty of ugly houses they could demolish certainly, and turn the pretty old buildings like this into modern flats I guess... :confused:
    Hello Miam!

How is Japanese going? have you been planning your year abroad? It all must be very exciting.
    I'm looking forward to taking the linguistics paper. Would you mind giving me your notes at the end of the year? I hope the paper is good. It looks good, but i just read that the linguistics department is the worst in cambridge! and large proportion of professors were rated as sub standard :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Miam!)
    Oh I see. I didn't know the maitrise was being suppressed, I think it's a shame if only because it made Cambridge known a lot of French people who would not have considered applying otherwise (even if they don't apply for law - that's how I first heard of Cam, if I hadn't heard of someone doing the DM maybe applying to British unis would never have crossed my mind)

And I'm from Strasbourg (why, btw, was your school called "l'ecole alsacienne"? sounds a bit random to me! Did it actually have any ties with the region?)... I have yet to meet a French student in Cambridge who is not from Paris or abroad. By the way, do you not think there's a surprising number of French people in Cam? I can't seem to spend an hour in town without hearing French... I wonder what they are (apart from the obvious school trips), tourists, visiting academics, conference people? There's just so many of them this year, it's an invasion :p: ... OK I'm just rambling away, better get back to work!
    haha.. yeah it does sound random...

it was started by teachers from the Gymnase Jean Sturm (in strasbourg i think), when France lost Alsace, they fled to Paris, and because they didn't want their children to go to a catholic schoo, they created the Ecole Alsacienne

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=798439

ReputationRep:
    The whole of my college is at Cindies tonight for the ball launch - and I'm stuck in my room with an essay, five sheets of chemistry/maths/genetics problem sheets and three supervisions to prepare for. It's the first time that I've actually missed something I wanted to go to because of work.... I need to sort out my time management.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lavalse)
    It looks good, but i just read that the linguistics department is the worst in cambridge! and large proportion of professors were rated as sub standard :eek:
    Lol yeah, we were asking about that judgement in a lecture yesterday. Apparently a load of the work submitted was from people who didn't yet have PhDs, and so was automatically counted as sub-standard or something. Note that there are actually only 2 professors in the department (but 6 if you include lecturers as well), so there aren't that many postgrads actually doing research. Anyway, whether or not the sub-standard thing is an excuse, I've been lectured by all 6, and they're all fine, so I wouldn't worry. Which module were you thinking of taking?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    The whole of my college is at Cindies tonight for the ball launch - and I'm stuck in my room with an essay, five sheets of chemistry/maths/genetics problem sheets and three supervisions to prepare for. It's the first time that I've actually missed something I wanted to go to because of work.... I need to sort out my time management.
    :hugs: There there. If it's any consolation, I'm staying in with loads of reading to do about the impact of the Reconquista on 13th-century Spain.

I need to sort out my time management too. The fact that I keep daydreaming while trying to read some of my books doesn't really help...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    :hugs: There there. If it's any consolation, I'm staying in with loads of reading to do about the impact of the Reconquista on 13th-century Spain.

I need to sort out my time management too. The fact that I keep daydreaming while trying to read some of my books doesn't really help...
    Thanks. :hugs: I just feel very antisocial now because it's something that absolutely everyone is going to (in contrast to normal nights out when only some people go), and I hardly ever go clubbing usually!

Your work sounds more interesting than the co-ordination and regulation of meiosis, tbh. Would you like to swap? :p:

ReputationRep:
    my essay this week will be a pile of ********.

ReputationRep:
    Has TSR just broken down for about an hour?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sillyme)
    And I think I've just realised a huge mistake but I don't want to go back to the question to find out
    No I'm pretty sure my logic was OK

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)
    Has TSR just broken down for about an hour?:confused:
    I guess so - I couldn't get on it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    I guess so - I couldn't get on it.
    oh ok... me neither...

I did a surprisingly large amount of my essay then.. :ninja:

any chance TSR could do a general breakdown for the three weeks before tripos, and every sudnay night? :shifty:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    my god im ******

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    my god im ******
    :confused:

:console: are you ok?

ReputationRep:
    What's happened Jade?

Smoker was OK today but not brilliant. There are still some brilliant performers though. They did do a preview of the show I'm seeing tomorrow night, which looks crap
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    im fine ism rjust really durkn/ :

ReputationRep:
    im fine ism rjust really durkn/ :
    Really? :p:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ffsc/poll/

Vote people :poke:
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    ym god canyt they jsut pixss ogff already

ReputationRep:
    ym god canyt they jsut pixss ogff already
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Really? :p:

http://www.srcf.ucam.org/ffsc/poll/

Vote people :poke:

haha, no questions so far as gone above the 50% mark... except for the arms trade one...

PS : for sunday night, if after dinner, people want to relax in someones room, rather than go to a pub, etc. i happily volunteer my room...

just thought i'd mention it

EDIT : yeah, essay just finished... now just need to cut 1000 words of it ...

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.