Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Excalibur)
    Plus, there aren't many triposes that a bionatsci can change into
    Linguistics, lol. :p:

But yes, I experienced a tiny bit of what you guys all seem to be getting last year, especially the whole problem of learning in things like cells, which just got a bit repetitive after a while. Do you prefer evolution? That's how I felt - a firend of mine went into it for part IB and likes what he's doing a lot more now.

ReputationRep:
    I love my course, I'm just crap at it
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    :ditto: Zoe

ReputationRep:
    Another ditto!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FadedJade)
    :ditto: Zoe
    Empathetic :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mwiko)
    Are your essays that important/good?
    It sucks when you lose an essay when you've nearly finished writing it [trust me, I know] but once it's done and sent to the supervisor, you don't really need that version.. the one with their comments is usually more helpful and either emailed to you or given to you in hard copy.. no?

But then.. I never look at my essays twice after getting them back anyway.. :rolleyes:
    Oh no that's true.. its just im paranoid about losing them whilst i'm writing them... afterwards i don't care

ReputationRep:
    bleurgh, was supposed to be doing a 30 min erg this evening, but i'm totally not up to it. 8 hour shift combined with the fact that i'm still feeling it from circuits last night does not equate to ideal conditions in which to test my stamina!

ReputationRep:
    Silly question- maybe one for Supergrunch: is empathic or empathetic? I use both interchangeably and they're both listed in the dictionary, but in my communication skills sessions, I keep getting corrected if I use empathetic. The facilitators seem to think it's empathic and nothing else:/
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I'd say empathetic, but empathic exists. I don't see why empathetic is wrong - it's entirely analogous to sympathetic (and etymologically very similar).

Gah, I have four supervisions and two classes next week.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, personally would never use empathetic aside from when being flippant/punning.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=455642

ReputationRep:
    I stink of horse.

ReputationRep:
    Well, this is what the OED says (gotta love Athens) and that's pretty conclusive.

Spoiler:
    Show

ReputationRep:
    Out of curiosity Visesh, where do you need to go to obtain access to the OED [as you did]?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by n1r4v)
    Out of curiosity Visesh, where do you need to go to obtain access to the OED [as you did]?
    1. http://dictionary.oed.com/

2. On the RHS, halfway down, click on Sign in via Athens or your institution.

3. Location: UK Access Management Federation
    Institution: University of Cambridge

4. Click on Select

5. Sign in via Raven.

This sort of login works on a huge variety of online resources.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Linguistics, lol. :p:

But yes, I experienced a tiny bit of what you guys all seem to be getting last year, especially the whole problem of learning in things like cells, which just got a bit repetitive after a while. Do you prefer evolution? That's how I felt - a firend of mine went into it for part IB and likes what he's doing a lot more now.
    Ha, I think your case was pretty exceptional :p:

I much prefer Evolution, although some of the stuff is confusing (e.g. the Animal Diversity lecture series) and some parts I prefer over others. There isn't that much scope for individual thought in E&B either, but it's a lot less information and a lot more concepts/ideas, which I like (and hence why I like Chemistry as well). What do you mean went into it for IB - which option is most similar to IA E&B? I think I'll probably take HPS next year, along with maybe CDB (if I can bear it), Path, Experimental Psych or Plant & Microbial. Ha, I'm veering more and more away from what I thought I used to like. :p: That is, if I continue with natsci, and not fail/drop out/transfer triposes...

In other news, I just learnt today that a professor who lectures us last term has passed away. Those kind of things puts things more into perspective, I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Path, path path! It's awesome
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I've honestly never heard of empathic before now, only empathetic.

ReputationRep:
    In other news, I just learnt today that a professor who lectures us last term has passed away. Those kind of things puts things more into perspective, I guess.
    That made me sad too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Silly question- maybe one for Supergrunch: is empathic or empathetic? I use both interchangeably and they're both listed in the dictionary, but in my communication skills sessions, I keep getting corrected if I use empathetic. The facilitators seem to think it's empathic and nothing else:/
    Well, I think both are used quite a lot (like you say, to the extent that they're both listed in the dictionary), so tell your facilitators they're wrong. People don't tend to budge once they've made decisions on such things though - I remember getting into a lengthy argument with one of my natsci supervisors last year when she corrected my which to a that because is wasn't after a comma (yes, I don't think she really knew what she was getting herself into :p:). I pointed out that firstly, she was using the wrong prescriptive rule (books like Strunk and White say that it's about whether you're introducing a restricted or non-restricted relative clause, with only the grammar checker on Word following her rules), and that secondly, people nowadays use which and that interchangably. Her response was that it nonetheless wasn't following a comma, and so should be a that. :rolleyes:
    I much prefer Evolution, although some of the stuff is confusing (e.g. the Animal Diversity lecture series) and some parts I prefer over others. There isn't that much scope for individual thought in E&B either, but it's a lot less information and a lot more concepts/ideas, which I like (and hence why I like Chemistry as well). What do you mean went into it for IB - which option is most similar to IA E&B? I think I'll probably take HPS next year, along with maybe CDB (if I can bear it), Path, Experimental Psych or Plant & Microbial. Ha, I'm veering more and more away from what I thought I used to like. That is, if I continue with natsci, and not fail/drop out/transfer triposes...
    I don't know, I think there's more original thought than in the other modules - you can try and think up your own examples by applying the theory you learn to different organisms, which I found great fun. What don't you like about the diversity lectures by the way? I found them a bit routine, but it was mostly just classification really. Anyway, my friend's doing animal biology (probably the closest module to E&B), plant and microbial sciences (I think) and possibly pathology.
    Which professor?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.