Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Ditto that! It's about time she came back, I say.

Maybe we ought to stage a sit-in protest about it
    I have PM'ed her to say just that! We definitely need more Deep Sky Blue around the place
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    Well, it's hard to explain, but I feel it's intuitive that something strange happens if the origin is included. It feels like Cauchy's integral formula, except in 3D.

The strange thing is that the divergence of the integrand is zero (almost) everywhere. I suppose it's not well-defined at the origin (not least because the function blows up), and that is where the 4\pi comes from. Speaking of divergence, the definition he gave us today almost makes the divergence theorem a tautology...
    **** me, he actually defined something? Well, anyway, if it makes the result of several hundreds of years' work a tautology, it's either a bloody good definition or a bloody bad one. I know which I reckon it is, given that his definition of "integral" is "split it up into strips / squares / blocks, and let their biggest length tend to 0, then add up all the bits".

But yes, the singularity at the origin is what causes the oddity, of course. I wonder what happens if dV passes through the origin - my intuition isn't well developed enough to have any clue without writing stuff down, and I'm lazy.

ReputationRep:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)
    EDIT : K.T, for the german soc, do you know what date the formal actually is?
    I think it's the 10th of Feb, but you could always email the guy I PM'd you, I'm sure he'd know

ReputationRep:
    I miss interesting/difficult maths.

ReputationRep:
    Btw, what is the plan for Sunday? I said I'd go, but I actually don't know any of the details...

ReputationRep:
    what do you guys think about that guy who just got in at 15? i think this is ridiculous... whats the point? rather than pushing him to do a levels in one year... and end up being 16 at uni, whereas he could go do a lot of extra curriculars, learn a language, etc. i dunno... broaden his horizons... and then go to uni at a normal time...

end of rant (for a more detail rant... see the thread on this guy )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Btw, what is the plan for Sunday? I said I'd go, but I actually don't know any of the details...
    i think its 7:30 at Nandos

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    :ditto:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

I think it's the 10th of Feb, but you could always email the guy I PM'd you, I'm sure he'd know
    It is indeed the 10th of Feb. I have e-mailed him to reserve a ticket, but he didn't reply yet. I guess I was quite early though, so I would be disappointed if I didn't get one .
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thegluups)
    what do you guys think about that guy who just got in at 15? i think this is ridiculous... whats the point? rather than pushing him to do a levels in one year... and end up being 16 at uni, whereas he could go do a lot of extra curriculars, learn a language, etc. i dunno... broaden his horizons... and then go to uni at a normal time...
    It isn't something I'd choose to do but I guess it's up to him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    It isn't something I'd choose to do but I guess it's up to him.

Guess so... but I'm just annoyed at parents that don't let their kid just lead a normal life... or strictly push him academically, rather than using the fact that he's uber intelligent to enable him to learn new languages, acting, etc. or anything he likes...

I mean, what will an employer be looking for? Someone who went to uni at 15? Or some one who can speak 5 languages, and has a very broad education, etc.

Sorry...:p:

Also, the media is just encouraging some parents who have gifted children to do the same ( i think)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

Can anyone explain what Hinch did with the integral of the closed surface encompassing the origin? He seemed to integrate something, and conclude that the surface area of all surfaces enclosing the origin was 4pi?
    My boyfriend's FB status: either Prof. Hinch speeds up his lectures or I integrate his face.

Ho hum. Not entirely relevant, but there we are :p:

I'm currently missing a lecture, which I really hope isn't important. I just came back and collapsed after my morning classes and couldn't face getting up again. Dressing gowns ftw

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    What's the plan for Monday? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zoedotdot)
    My boyfriend's FB status: either Prof. Hinch speeds up his lectures or I integrate his face.

Ho hum. Not entirely relevant, but there we are :p:
    True, he goes slowly. But he also doesnt explain anything. This course is going the same way as Numbers and Sets where I didnt bother re-reading the notes because they reminded me of the tedium and general feeling of vegitivity in the lectures because of the at-the-time-inexplicable things he did, so I just winged the course. Badly, though. I'm sure if I did re-read them they'd be perfectly acceptable, but that's just not going to happen.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.faz.net/s/RubC3FFBF288EDC...~Scontent.html

A bit too long for me to translate, but for the German speakers amongst you (K.T., gluups, generalebriety?), this should be a very interesting article. It's written by a professor at a German university who is resigning his chair at the end of this semester as a protest against the Bologna reforms (i.e. introduction of Bachelor/Master system, replacing the old Diplom).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    http://www.faz.net/s/RubC3FFBF288EDC...~Scontent.html

A bit too long for me to translate, but for the German speakers amongst you (K.T., gluups, generalebriety?), this should be a very interesting article. It's written by a professor at a German university who is resigning his chair at the end of this semester as a protest against the Bologna reforms (i.e. introduction of Bachelor/Master system, replacing the old Diplom).
    This reminds me. You're a german mathmo. Are you the german mathmo who walked past Prof Hinch just after his lecture today, presumably to skip the crowds on the way to get coffee?

ReputationRep:
    Did anyone spot the TSR reference in TCS today?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    This reminds me. You're a german mathmo. Are you the german mathmo who walked past Prof Hinch just after his lecture today, presumably to skip the crowds on the way to get coffee?
    I'm quite sure that wasn't me. I did get a coffee, but that was before VC. I was sitting in one of the far left rows, rather at the top of the lecture theatre today.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    What's the plan for Monday? :p:
    :ditto:

I'm feeling distinctly unenlightened with respect to plans. Did someone manage to get me a ticket?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.