Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    It's a plan, let's go.
    here http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG second row.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fumblewomble)
    here http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...%3Den%26sa%3DG second row.
    skillz.

ReputationRep:
    I hate ducks, they are sooo annoying and arrogant.

ReputationRep:
    They are circular water birds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    I like to think that Peterhouse gowns have a certain elegant simplicity to them...

When can you wear your gowns in Caius then?
    For formal every night, chapel every night, superhall twice a term, various other occasions which I can't remember

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    For formal every night, chapel every night, superhall twice a term, various other occasions which I can't remember
    But Caius formal doesn't require a suit, hence :nn:

ReputationRep:
    gowns > suit unless said suit = black tie, in which case gown = suit.

And ducks are also good. According to wikipedia Emma have Wood Ducks, which I haven't seen before. I need to get round to having a look in their pond again. Last time I saw a pintail which was rather exciting.

ReputationRep:
    I can't decide between doing a Masters and taking my job offer I'm becoming less certain that I'd enjoy the Masters and more concerned about the massive difference it will make to my financial situation

Ukebert, suit>gowns because if you just wear a gown you're basically streaking :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by brimstone)
    But Caius formal doesn't require a suit, hence :nn:
    Agreed. Caius formal was rubbish when I went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    I can't decide between doing a Masters and taking my job offer I'm becoming less certain that I'd enjoy the Masters and more concerned about the massive difference it will make to my financial situation

Ukebert, suit>gowns because if you just wear a gown you're basically streaking :p:
    What's the job offer? You could consult im so academic, he'll know what to do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)

Yeah, I didn't mean a gown on it's own :dry:

:ninja:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    What's the job offer? You could consult im so academic, he'll know what to do.
    Haha, indeed he will. It'll probably be "Apply to Oxbridge", tbh.
    The job's at the Financial Services Authority, decent pay, decent hours...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Yeah, I didn't mean a gown on it's own :dry:

:ninja:

Ok

But on a serious note, I think suits look smarter than throwing a gown on over a t-shirt and jeans

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Haha, indeed he will. It'll probably be "Apply to Oxbridge", tbh.
    The job's at the Financial Services Authority, decent pay, decent hours...
    Are you getting any bursaries/financial grants for the masters? If not it's probably not going to be a good investment in terms of future earning, unless you want to do it for its intrinsic academic worth.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Agreed. Caius formal was rubbish when I went.
    Lol. That's because we have a different system. "Formal" is really second hall- because we have waiter service for our standard hall only a limited number of people can eat there at a time so we have two halls. For the second hall we have to wear gowns, have grace and candles but it is the same food as always. So it's not like formal at other colleges where you get special food. We get good food for superhall which happens twice a term. This is usually 4/5 courses, costs £7 and you have to wear suits and gowns and we get proper food.

There's no point comparing our daily "formal" with anyone else's formal because it's just not the same kind of affair. Ours is just a normal hall but with gowns, and is the same price as our first hall (meaning we just give in a ticket).

Compare our superhall with anyone else's then come back and tell me ours is rubbish

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The West Wing)
    Are you getting any bursaries/financial grants for the masters? If not it's probably not going to be a good investment in terms of future earning, unless you want to do it for its intrinsic academic worth.
    It's uncertain. Either way, the career path following the Masters means the opportunity cost over 10 years is ~£250k. I originally thought I'd enjoy the masters and work in development economics more, but given how much maths has crept in of late I'm markedly less certain about it all. But at the same time I don't want to take a job offer out of a fear for financial security and then regret my decision 5 years later.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Could do what a girl I met this week is doing, which is to give the FSA a few years of your life, and then let them pay for you to do a Masters full time (rather than part time, as Will is), thus not paying the epic opportunity costs we discussed last night :p:
    I could, but I don't think they'll pay for me to do a Development Economics Masters, which is what I want to do. And of course, should I decide to pursue a career in Development I'd have to pay them back the full cost of the course, so the OCs would reappear

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Compare our superhall with anyone else's then come back and tell me ours is rubbish
    Yeah, but I bet you don't get to dress as a Russian Prostitute, Batman or Pikachu in yours, eh?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Apagg)
    Imho take the job. Who knows what the employment situation wil be like in 1 or 2 years time when you finish the master's. Unless you really burningly want to study more.

though I may be prejudiced by a certain disillusionment with my own master's atm! Plus the difficulty I've had in seeking even unpaid work, let alone paid.

ReputationRep:
    just cycled 15 miles to check my mailbox at the marina. Quicker than taking the boat out there... And we both had outings this morning. Am bloody knackered!

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.