Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Lol. That's because we have a different system. "Formal" is really second hall- because we have waiter service for our standard hall only a limited number of people can eat there at a time so we have two halls. For the second hall we have to wear gowns, have grace and candles but it is the same food as always. So it's not like formal at other colleges where you get special food. We get good food for superhall which happens twice a term. This is usually 4/5 courses, costs £7 and you have to wear suits and gowns and we get proper food.

There's no point comparing our daily "formal" with anyone else's formal because it's just not the same kind of affair. Ours is just a normal hall but with gowns, and is the same price as our first hall (meaning we just give in a ticket).

Compare our superhall with anyone else's then come back and tell me ours is rubbish
    All that really means is that you get formal (= what I call formal) a bit better than us, but only twice a term. That means your college is rubbish.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Imho take the job. Who knows what the employment situation wil be like in 1 or 2 years time when you finish the master's. Unless you really burningly want to study more.

though I may be prejudiced by a certain disillusionment with my own master's atm! Plus the difficulty I've had in seeking even unpaid work, let alone paid.
    They've said I can defer the job offer, which is good. I think the problem is there are too many choices to make. I kind of wish something would force my hand, though no doubt I'll regret saying this when it does

ReputationRep:
    We get good food for superhall which happens twice a term. This is usually 4/5 courses, costs £7 and you have to wear suits and gowns and we get proper food.
    So I got ripped off at last term's Superhall then....£14 and the veggie option was something that looked like a whole caramelised onion in a pie!

And Zoedotdot, hope you're feeling ok. Don't worry about the essay, I'm sure your supervisor will understand. Also, is it true that at Emmanuel you have lit supervisions weekly?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    So I got ripped off at last term's Superhall then....£14 and the veggie option was something that looked like a whole caramelised onion in a pie!
    Lol! Bad luck! You're supposed to give in one dinner ticket and pay £7 for a superhall ticket, since that night you won't be going to normal hall. The last 3 times I've been it's been really good. Not as good as matric dinner though. Halfway hall was a disappointment- not tasty in the slightest, but that day the usual good-food chef couldn't make it so we ended up with his minions

ReputationRep:
    Someone at one of Queens' formals the other week was dairy intolerant, so guess what dessert they gave her?

Two apples on a plate.

She paid £8 for a salad starter, a £2.50 meal from the buttery (Lemon Pepper chicken - they were actually selling it for normal hall an hour before formal) and two apples. All we pay for is the crappy service.

ReputationRep:
    You get crap if you're any sort of special dietary needs It's not great

ReputationRep:
    The vegetarian option is -always- vegetable wellington.

I imagine the vegan option would be vegetable wellington without the pastry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)

And Zoedotdot, hope you're feeling ok. Don't worry about the essay, I'm sure your supervisor will understand. Also, is it true that at Emmanuel you have lit supervisions weekly?
    We don't get superhall I don't think The veggie options always look rather suspect.

I'm alright, just absolutely exhausted But unable to sleep. He has to understand, as I've only managed to get to page 31 of my book today. 100 pages to go... And, erm, we kind of do. We have weekly supervisions, but one is mostly language based - we have to write a commentary on a film in Spanish which he then goes through with us in terms of language rather than content, but it's still good practice for commentary writing. For Russian I do have weekly lit supervisions though, now that we've moved on to lit.

ReputationRep:
    I get quite good food when I have to get something other than what is on the menu (allergic to carrots and brown pepper!!)

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know of any free parking available in Cambridge? Obviously there will be just parking on the street in residential areas, but that's a bit far out. And it needs to be overnight. I have a friend coming to visit, and I don't think the porters will let her have overnight parking in Queens' carpark.

If no one can think of any close by, then ones far out are also good. Thanks! :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Does anyone know of any free parking available in Cambridge? Obviously there will be just parking on the street in residential areas, but that's a bit far out. And it needs to be overnight. I have a friend coming to visit, and I don't think the porters will let her have overnight parking in Queens' carpark.

If no one can think of any close by, then ones far out are also good. Thanks! :p:
    Are there no visitors' parking spaces in your college? Selwyn has one or two behind Cripps Court, but they're not easy to find. That said, I have no idea whether overnight parking would be allowed.

ReputationRep:
    It's not a problem at Jesus, but I guess we've got a fair bit more land

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Are there no visitors' parking spaces in your college? Selwyn has one or two behind Cripps Court, but they're not easy to find. That said, I have no idea whether overnight parking would be allowed.
    Well I asked the Porter just now and he said evening parking would be fine, but he seemed a bit annoyed at something so I held off asking about overnight :p: I'll ask them some time soon about it, but I can't say I'm too hopeful.

If anyone else's college has free overnight parking I could exploit I'd be eternally grateful :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

ooo errr :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    ooo errr :p:
    Huh?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Huh?
    He said "are you and your aforementioned friend going to be engaging in mutual sexual intercourse? I find this idea amusing!".

ReputationRep:
    I'm alright, just absolutely exhausted But unable to sleep. He has to understand, as I've only managed to get to page 31 of my book today. 100 pages to go... And, erm, we kind of do. We have weekly supervisions, but one is mostly language based - we have to write a commentary on a film in Spanish which he then goes through with us in terms of language rather than content, but it's still good practice for commentary writing. For Russian I do have weekly lit supervisions though, now that we've moved on to lit.
    Oh, that's quite unusual. We have fortnightly Spanish but weekly French supervisions. What book are you doing? I'm probably going to stay up all night reading 'Lazarillo de Tormes' and doing my Use of because I have such a busy day tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    He said "are you and your aforementioned friend going to be engaging in mutual sexual intercourse? I find this idea amusing!".
    There would have had to be eyebrow action too for it to have been quite so explicit :p:

(Sorry Gesar :o: )
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    As opposed to them engaging in non-mutual sexual intercourse? :confused: :p:

ReputationRep:
    Aaaah, ok :p:

(Original post by thicky)
    Read the profile :rolleyes:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.