Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    As opposed to them engaging in non-mutual sexual intercourse? :confused: :p:
    They might both be engaging in simultaneous sexual intercourse, but not with each other; there'd have to be (at least) one other person present for this, and Gesar didn't specify that there wouldn't be. :p:

*shuts up and does maths*

*centralises (123) in S_n*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Aaaah, ok :p:

Read the profile :rolleyes:

Maybe you earn a little...ok I'll shut up now :rolleyes: :p: :o:

ReputationRep:
    Apagg, I think if I were you and FSA are willing to guarantee your job till after your masters, I'd do the masters in the confidence of the certain good job awaiting me :dontknow:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    All that really means is that you get formal (= what I call formal) a bit better than us, but only twice a term. That means your college is rubbish.
    :sadnod:
    Peterhouse get the same number of opportunities for gown usage as Caius, and we have Superhall two or three times a term :king1: and our formals are better than hall, although not always. But when they're the same as hall, they're as good as hall on a good day :yep: Oh and once when I couldn't have the prawn starter hall gave me fruit salad :rofl: But it was nice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    :sadnod:
    Peterhouse get the same number of opportunities for gown usage as Caius, and we have Superhall two or three times a term :king1: and our formals are better than hall, although not always. But when they're the same as hall, they're as good as hall on a good day :yep:
    I know that strictly speaking I'm probably not supposed to be posting on this thread, but I have to ask, what is 'Superhall'?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Oh, that's quite unusual. We have fortnightly Spanish but weekly French supervisions. What book are you doing? I'm probably going to stay up all night reading 'Lazarillo de Tormes' and doing my Use of because I have such a busy day tomorrow.
    I loved 'Lazarillo de Tormes'. I read the whole thing in Spanish and was so proud of myself because my supervisor said that even he struggles with some of the Spanish. I did need to read an English summary afterwards to clarify the plot points, but I did most of it! I'm doing the Cervantes - 'El casamiento enganoso' and 'Coloquio de los perros'. Seems good so far, and I've found the Early Modern Spanish lectures really useful in reading it - like I no longer get confused by ponella because I know it's ponerla, etc Are you doing the exam practice paper in Use of? And chapter 3 of the book? I'm about to start that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist1)
    I know that strictly speaking I'm probably not supposed to be posting on this thread, but I have to ask, what is 'Superhall'?
    An above average formal that happens twice a term or so and is often arranged around special occasions (Burns night, Christmas etc). Can often involve Black Tie and an extra course.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I get the impression that it's when colleges which don't usually do proper Formals, actually do a proper Formal. But I'm sure someone in a college which actually does them will correct me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    An above average formal that happens twice a term or so and is often arranged around special occasions (Burns night, Christmas etc). Can often involve Black Tie and an extra course.
    Thank you. I thought as much.

(Original post by alex_hk90)
    I get the impression that it's when colleges which don't usually do proper Formals, actually do a proper Formal. But I'm sure someone in a college which actually does them will correct me.
    Is that a little swipe at Peterhouse's Formal Hall then? :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I wouldn't know as I haven't been, more so at Caius's Formal Hall. Although having said that, it has actually been quite good the times that I've been. It's just not a 'proper' Formal as you don't have to wear a suit and you're in and out very quickly. As for 'above average' Formals, we have 'Feast Nights' with an extra course and nicer cutlery and crockery (I think) three times a week.

ReputationRep:
    I loved 'Lazarillo de Tormes'. I read the whole thing in Spanish and was so proud of myself because my supervisor said that even he struggles with some of the Spanish. I did need to read an English summary afterwards to clarify the plot points, but I did most of it! I'm doing the Cervantes - 'El casamiento enganoso' and 'Coloquio de los perros'. Seems good so far, and I've found the Early Modern Spanish lectures really useful in reading it - like I no longer get confused by ponella because I know it's ponerla, etc Are you doing the exam practice paper in Use of? And chapter 3 of the book? I'm about to start that.
    Oh, my last essay was on the Cervantes and I really loved that. I'm not enjoying Lazarillo de Tormes so much because I don't really understand it but it's better than my French stuff. We are indeed doing the practice paper in Use of, but not Chapter 3 of the book (thank goodness!).

ReputationRep:
    People are more than welcome to swipe at Peterhouse formals. Petreans don't exactly consider it the best of University dining :rolleyes: But the fact is we have formal hall every night, whereas many colleges are limited to one a week or a few a week. So naturally the college won't go to high expense when several nights there may only be a table or small smattering of individuals eating at formal.
    Despite this I think everyone from outside I've spoken to has gone away with a positive impression of our formals, so we still manage to keep them at a good level

ReputationRep:
    Peterhouse formal > Caius formal.

It really is much better, I went there this week and I loved it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    I went there this week and I loved it.
    Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone know which May Balls have not started selling their tickets to the public yet, is there some kind of online schedule? (I suppose Peterhouse has already sold out?)

ReputationRep:
    Clare hasn't, I think most haven't.

ReputationRep:
    Nobody on the parking front then?

If it will make you more compliant, I'll tell you the sob story behind her visit :p:

ReputationRep:
    No parking at Caius I'm afraid- I had to beg to get them to let my dad park there overnight when he came to take me to hospital!

The UL has parking (generally free but a few people have been fined £20 recently).

ReputationRep:
    What can we say? If your college won't co-operate, there's car parks in the city center (though I've not idea if there are any open at night). Assuming they don't want to pay, there's plenty of streets within a 10 min walk of the center.

We're not going to be able to offer you any parking-related revelations tbh.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    We're not going to be able to offer you any parking-related revelations tbh.
    The UL thing was actually a revelation :p: Wouldn't have thought of it. Thanks Llama

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Nobody on the parking front then?

If it will make you more compliant, I'll tell you the sob story behind her visit :p:

Do tell :rolleyes:

This was an answer given earlier in the thread to which those with decent memories will attest:

(Original post by visesh)
    Cranmer Road and Adams Road just off Grange road (near Selwyn and Robinson respectively) are pretty good. I've used Cranmer Road for over 2.5 years now and have had no problems. Might be useful if you're over in Harvey Court.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.