Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    AAAAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGG GGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!! !!!! :banghead:

Ok... Activism Anguish over - new point of frustration located:

Email from Peterhouse JCR President
    Hello

As I'm sure most of you remember, last summer the JCR voted in favour of abolishing room points. I took this to Dr. x so that he could pass the proposal for change onto the Governing Body who must approve all suggested changes to the JCR constitution.

At the time I was assured that it would not be a problem and since I never heard otherwise, I assumed that the proposal had gone through.

On speaking to Dr.x earlier this week, I found out that the proposal was never passed. Why the JCR was not informed before is not clear.

This means that the rooms point system is still in use. It also means that the Governing Body's decision, that those who fail to achieve a 2.1 in their exams will loose their points, still stands.

I am advertising for a committee of 5 finalist to organise the room points system as set out in the JCR constitution.

Part of the reason we tried to get rid of room points last year was because of a tendency towards abuse of the system and an inability of most undergraduates to fill in the rooms points forms truthfully and on time. Perhaps this year we can all cooperate sensibly to make the committee's lives easier.

Yours,
    [Name of JCR President]

Unbelievable! Just when I thought we might finally ditch our negative image...:hmpf:

ReputationRep:
    I missed that one :p:

(directed at thicky)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

(directed at thicky)

It was several weeks ago :cool: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    It was several weeks ago :cool: :p:
    Are you aspiring to the position of fumblewomble's runner up? :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Are you aspiring to the position of fumblewomble's runner up? :p:
    :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    :ninja:
    I see

ReputationRep:
    I see
    a) that points system seems mad to me
    b) your sig is awesome :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)
    Did you hear back from Josef about the German Soc formal hall? I e-mailed him on Thursday but haven't got a reply yet.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Nobody on the parking front then?
    No one would object to your friend parking behind Selwyn's Cripps Court, I don't think, but it's far from Queens'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by K.T.)

It is. Last year the JCR put forth a motion to switch to a random ballot system (as many other colleges have). We've only just today discovered that it didn't actually transpire. And not only that, but the Fellows have introduced a special new element: previously you could still get room points with your extra curricular activities even if you only got a 2.2, but now they will remove all of your points if you get anything less than a 2.1! Its completely inhumane and disgusting! Take my poor friend who spent every living hour slaving at her Maths degree, never managing to achieve anything higher than a high 2.2 in her exams right up to graduation.
    Or those who worked so hard to get their 2.1s that they don't have time to do anything to get room points! :motz:

(Original post by K.T.)
    Thankyou

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

(directed at thicky)
    I answered so you have to tell!! :mad: :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Did you hear back from Josef about the German Soc formal hall? I e-mailed him on Thursday but haven't got a reply yet.
    No Sad times. I went to Stammtisch on Thursday, but the guy who's organising it wasn't there.

ReputationRep:
    I see
    I didn't actually know what you meant so thought the ninja emoticon would allow me my pride in tact :p: :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    No one would object to your friend parking behind Selwyn's Cripps Court, I don't think, but it's far from Queens'.

Warped perception of distances: the single most distinguishing feature of Cambridge undergraduates :p: .

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Warped perception of distances: the single most distinguishing feature of Cambridge undergraduates :p: .
    Its a feature of humans anywhere. Their day to day experience defines what they think is normal. Nothing odd about that!
    I didn't actually know what you meant so thought the ninja emoticon would allow me my pride in tact :p: :o:
    fumblewomble has the knack of unearthing useful information from goodness knows where and posting it wherever its asked for... and doesn't post in here frequently. So yeh it was a response to your finding an old but useful post of visesh's :p:

ReputationRep:
    fumblewomble has the knack of unearthing useful information from goodness knows where and posting it wherever its asked for... and doesn't post in here frequently. So yeh it was a response to your finding an old but useful post of visesh's :p:
    ha well I thought as much but then I thought you meant something else :ninja:

ReputationRep:
    Where is everybody tonight? (no offence to thread inhabitants :o:)

...Habermas it is :getmecoat:

Aside: How are you finding your sub, Thicky? What's the main motivation for you?

ReputationRep:
    Its a feature of humans anywhere. Their day to day experience defines what they think is normal. Nothing odd about that!
    You're right, although I don't suppose there are many places/situations where you can afford to live your whole (student/work/whatever) life without leaving such a small area as Cambridge city centre .

Where would you want everybody to be?

ReputationRep:

...Habermas it is :getmecoat:
    It is Saturday night, you know...Only terribly sad loser lonesome chocolate obsessives stay in :o:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    You're right, although I don't suppose there are many places/situations where you can afford to live your whole (student/work/whatever) life without leaving such a small area as Cambridge city centre .
    Meh. Where I lived and worked before coming, I spent 30-40mins of very swift walking to get to work/to college etc every day for about three years. I know which one I prefer! :rolleyes:
    Anyway both Cambridge and the previous place (Andover) are still quite a novelty to me because in SA you really couldn't realistically get about without a car.

(Original post by Y__)
    Where would you want everybody to be?
    Posting all at once on this thread

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    Christ's College Undergraduate
    Wed, 26 Sep '18
Poll
Which accompaniment is best?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.