Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Ooh, Clare formal tomorrow :eek: What time should I meet people and where? *doesn't know way around Clare*
    Well as the plan stands you're meeting me at Queens' first :p:

But I'm afraid I don't know where Clare is, and the chances I know my way around it are therefore quite slim, so your question still stands :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    I'm afraid I don't know where Clare is, and the chances I know my way around it are therefore quite slim, so your question still stands :p:
    See my very recent posts :dry:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    See my very recent posts :dry:
    I can have a guess at where you meant, but I can't be sure :dontknow:

I don't know where anything is in Cambridge. I can spot King's chapel and the New Museum Site, and that's all.

ReputationRep:

I didn't say it was in the top 50%. I said it was one off of the top 16 which seems to be the number/division that gets used alot.

It doesn't. Its like the stupid subject dissing that happens.

Anyway from my view I'm somewhere old and pretty. I only care what I get in exams, not everyone else :o:

Argh TSR is refusing to load all of my posts :hmpf:
    Don't mean to be fussy :p: but it hasn't been top 16 for 8 years, either. Last year it was 18. But I agree - far more important to be somewhere with nice architecture and a good location than a few places higher up in the table. Is SPS a subject where the teaching is faculty-based anyway, in the sense that quality of teaching doesn't really vary from college-to-college?
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    BBC weather says snow from 1pm onwards, all afternoon :teeth:
    I hope not, I've got a football match at 1:30.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Don't mean to be fussy :p: but it hasn't been top 16 for 8 years, either. Last year it was 18. But I agree - far more important to be somewhere with nice architecture and a good location than a few places higher up in the table. Is SPS a subject where the teaching is faculty-based anyway, in the sense that quality of teaching doesn't really vary from college-to-college?
    For SPS the thing that varies is how organised your DoS is at facilitating your supervisors to not clash with eachother so that you don't die of work.

So at Kings everybody gets one essay and one supervision a week (:reaper:) with a few more to do over the holidays in first year. Everybody else dies!

In Part II your DoS stops organising your supervisions at all, and its completely taken over by the department. In my case the department is quite small, and we're lectured by all the best people and often supervised by them too. At the start of each lecture series they take your email down and contact you a few days later to arrange supervisions.
    So from my point of view, the only thing Peterhouse has to do with it is their fantastic option for ordering any books you need into the library (which they often get in 2days or so) and the fact that I'm the only Sociologist in college, which gives me monopoly over books :king1:

But they've stopped offering it. When I graduate I'm going to approach them and ask them to give loads of books on extended loan to St Edmunds or somewhere because I have friends in mature student colleges who tell me their libraries are near-empty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by thegluups)
    (do you mind if i also meet you there? if you see someone with curly hair looking ridiculously hangovered/rough... that will be me...:shifty: )

we had the annual john's law society dinner... :shifty:

looking back at what happened... you have to say... cambridge is special... not many places where you'll be - whilst tipsy- having a conversation with one of the most prominent judges in the european court (him being completely pissed )

then more wine in someone's room...
    then even more wine in my room...
    and then two people having forgotten their shoes in my room trying to come back in (whilst i was half way through getting in my pj... so literally just had my dressing gown).. and who wanted to engage in very thoughtful drunk conversation... and who wouldn't want to get out..:sigh:

interesting evening, to say the least, shall we say...:o:

oh dear... getting drunk on wine is baaad...:sigh:
    sure!

Bah, I have so much to do but I'm feeling rather poorly. Ah well, must crack on and all.

ReputationRep:
    What are you talking about? :eyeball:
    Have I not told you my amazing logic yet? :o: Reasoning is as follows: Last year the Peterhouse first years achieved something like 3rd in the university overall, including 1st in Engineering. I was interviewed and accepted into the college in the admissions cycle before last. This meant that if I had not deferred I would have been in the wonder year and since they used the same admissions criteria for them as they did for me I would presumably have done very well. Therefore as someone who should count as that year group I deserve a share in their victory.

I have only just woken up. I am planning to go into town to get some food and things and then force myself to do some structures before the ceilidh this evening. I will be at Nandos at 1830, but seeing as I need to be at Emma a little before 1900 I probably won't be eating.

EDIT: Does anyone know where one could buy a set of fine tipped philips screwdrivers in Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    EDIT: Does anyone know where one could buy a set of fine tipped philips screwdrivers in Cambridge?
    Maplins generally have sets though they aren't all that cheap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -Matt-)
    Maplins generally have sets though they aren't all that cheap.
    There is a Maplins in Cambridge?! Where?

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much next to Emma, down from Nando's. I went there yesterday (first time ever!) to get some cables.

ReputationRep:
    Apparently there are two, though I've only been to one. One on St. Andrews street which is where I went and is quite small, and according to my electronics supervisor there is a bigger one up somewhere near Homebase/B&Q etc. off Newmarket Road.

EDIT:
    http://www.maplin.co.uk/NearestStore...eshire&doy=1m2

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Pretty much next to Emma, down from Nando's. I went there yesterday (first time ever!) to get some cables.
    Wow. I never knew that :o:

ReputationRep:
    Is there a decent computery-stuff store somewhere not too far out of town? I need to buy one or two DVD-RAMs (which is not the same thing as a DVD-+RW, you don't find them at your local supermarket).

ReputationRep:
    You missed it. We had it Easter last year and the 5th of Jan this year.

Btw, from facebook pics your hair isn't *really* curly. Its just curly. (just for the sake of the others' recognition) Maybe it'll look different irl though.

I think I might go to gym now just to be outside while it snows

:dumbells:
    lol... fair enough... lets jsut say that it sticks out a lot :p: ... although for some reason today it seems to be staying down a bit...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Is there a decent computery-stuff store somewhere not too far out of town? I need to buy one or two DVD-RAMs (which is not the same thing as a DVD-+RW, you don't find them at your local supermarket).
    There's a fairly large PC World on Newmarket Road, though whether or not that comes under the description 'decent' is debatable! There's a Tesco just opposite though which might also sell them and possibly cheaper.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    You'd be much better off buying them online rather than in the shops, but I guess that depends on how urgently you need them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    You'd be much better off buying them online rather than in the shops, but I guess that depends on how urgently you need them.
    They're about 1 quid each, so I don't really fancy paying three times as much for packaging and postage.

ReputationRep:
    Ooh. I should take an interest in technicalities once in awhile...
    I/we have suggested this before :p: Firefox+adblocker, and it doesn't just work for TSR. Firefox is a million times more pleasant to use than IE anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Have I not told you my amazing logic yet? :o: Reasoning is as follows: Last year the Peterhouse first years achieved something like 3rd in the university overall, including 1st in Engineering. I was interviewed and accepted into the college in the admissions cycle before last. This meant that if I had not deferred I would have been in the wonder year and since they used the same admissions criteria for them as they did for me I would presumably have done very well. Therefore as someone who should count as that year group I deserve a share in their victory.
    I feared as much. Lol at 'wonder year' I'm not sure whether I ought to feel proud or horrified at being part of this year...
    I have only just woken up. I am planning to go into town to get some food and things and then force myself to do some structures before the ceilidh this evening. I will be at Nandos at 1830, but seeing as I need to be at Emma a little before 1900 I probably won't be eating.
    Just buy one of their amazing pots of olives to snack on :love:
    Would you like to borrow mine? Its one of those adjustable ones with multiple bits.
    (Original post by Tom)
    I/we have suggested this before :p: Firefox+adblocker, and it doesn't just work for TSR. Firefox is a million times more pleasant to use than IE anyways.
    Sorry Tom. I have a rubbish memory. I do use firefox you know... :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.