Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Eeek - and I'm so lazy with backup too.
    Have you quickly safeguarded your diss now?
    I haven't started writing it :dong: (another thing to have a massive panic over)** but I had a lot of notes, etc on there so it was very scary. It's all safe now, but nonetheless :eek:

**my diss is just going so POO right now. I have been reading since bloody June but still feel a bit unprepared writing and that my ideas are stupid. That and the fact what with weekly essays etc, I am short on time. I feel a bit retarded panicking over something that's due in may.But still. Worse yet is the fact I need to ahve a supervision soon; my supervisor had suggested Weds but I can't really do Wednesday so asked for another time (this was after postponing it once anyway). I don't know if he'll just suggest another time on Wednesday (which will be pretty rubbish for me but I'd feel too bad to ask him to change my time yet AGAIN). A Wednesday supervision would also mean that I had to hand my work in tomorrow which seeing as I havent WRITTEN anything yet is a bit bad.

Oh well, I'm going to start writing the first chapter of 2k words today. It seems I do my best work when I feel I know a bit 'less' and am more likely to include my own ideas as a result.

That and I have a headache and havent been to the gym in a couple of days. I think I'll go in a bit.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Yes, don't bin them! They're WEEE, and can't go in landfill.

There are a lot of different recycling schemes around for them (some charitable), but otherwise I *think* that the shop you bought it from has to take it back and arrange to dispose of/recycle it themselves.
    Gah! One is from South Africa and the other is from online What a pain. Thanks though! 'Weee'? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Brim, if you haven't already, choose a question from the paper guide. She can't complain- if she doesn't clarify she has to take what she gets!

Does anybody know what you're supposed to do with old broken phones? I can't be bothered to pay to fix them, and I think those charitable calls for old phones usually mean ones that still work :confused: If there is a charitable way to dispose I'd like to, but if not... they're not meant to go in the bin are they? :confused:
    These folk take broken phones as well as working ones: http://www.envirofone.com/

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Couldn't this be a good thing? Now you have a chance to pick your own custom-made essay about whatever you find interesting (or, failing that, easiest to understand) about Kant - better than working on a fixed title you don't like!
    But now that I've emailed her for clarification, I wouldn't want to start an essay of my choice, only for her to email me a new title. If only she'd bothered to reply quicker.

(Original post by ukebert)
    Do you know where she lives?
    Nopes.
    BRIM!!! Calm down. What do you need? I can get you something from the Ward (Peterhouse) and you can give it back tomorrow?

(none of our first year books will be taken out because we HAVE no first years :p:
    Thanks for the offer, but it's okay; I'm just going to ignore Sociology till tomorrow, when I can go over to the UL. I'll try and do some journal stuff for Psychology instead. I was just a little bit crazy there because I had planned a whole day of essay work today, and it's not gonna happen! :sigh: :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Gah! One is from South Africa and the other is from online What a pain. Thanks though! 'Weee'? :confused:
    Waste Electrical and Electronic Equipment. It's short for an EU directive (with the same title) which basically stopped us chucking it all in landfill a while ago.

And as llama says, there are lots of charitable schemes that will take old phones, if you google a bit, and also quite a few non-charitable ones that claim they will pay you for them (though you're not gonna get more than a few £ unless it's a really high-end model)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by minimo)
    I haven't started writing it :dong: (another thing to have a massive panic over)** but I had a lot of notes, etc on there so it was very scary. It's all safe now, but nonetheless :eek:

**my diss is just going so POO right now. I have been reading since bloody June but still feel a bit unprepared writing and that my ideas are stupid. That and the fact what with weekly essays etc, I am short on time. I feel a bit retarded panicking over something that's due in may.But still. Worse yet is the fact I need to ahve a supervision soon; my supervisor had suggested Weds but I can't really do Wednesday so asked for another time (this was after postponing it once anyway). I don't know if he'll just suggest another time on Wednesday (which will be pretty rubbish for me but I'd feel too bad to ask him to change my time yet AGAIN). A Wednesday supervision would also mean that I had to hand my work in tomorrow which seeing as I havent WRITTEN anything yet is a bit bad.

Oh well, I'm going to start writing the first chapter of 2k words today. It seems I do my best work when I feel I know a bit 'less' and am more likely to include my own ideas as a result.

That and I have a headache and havent been to the gym in a couple of days. I think I'll go in a bit.
    Yeh I'm also pretty panicky. This term's assessed essay is on something very vague, and the supervisor just made a few completely undetailed comments and then told me he expected the first draft at the next supervision. I'm really annoyed at that.
    And my project... well I've not even started collecting data for it because I'm still bogged down in deciding the precise nature of my research, which in turn is holding back my urgent ethical consent form because I need to write a detailed description of what I'll do for the application! Gnargh :banghead:

But yeh. No point freaking out about it. I do have a tendency to hide away from it in my mind by focusing on easy supervision work instead, though, I have to admit.

ReputationRep:
    I do the same re: the supervision work. I just think it would be best if I could work in the library but I simply feel so stifled in there, but my room has distractions and I am capble of doing ANYTHING to procrastinate...even ironing.

ReputationRep:

Does anybody know what you're supposed to do with old broken phones? I can't be bothered to pay to fix them, and I think those charitable calls for old phones usually mean ones that still work :confused: If there is a charitable way to dispose I'd like to, but if not... they're not meant to go in the bin are they? :confused:
    http://www.recyclingappeal.com/index.asp - broken phones are ok

ReputationRep:
    Thanks guys!

Lol regarding ironing minimo :rofl:

And ok brim!

Right. Need to get myself to library now.

ReputationRep:
    Arg, I've one essay for tomorrow evening and another for Tuesday evening. Will nonetheless attempt to free up some time for Clare formal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Hmm... are you the person I met a million years ago in Newnham bar with brimface? [/slightly rude] :o: :p:
    Why yes, I am - although in my defence, I don't think I made the best impression. But I suppose that's for you to say.

ReputationRep:
    wow "heavy snow".... :p:

ReputationRep:
    From the Facebook message, what Selwyn swap is happening at Clare tomorrow? :afraid:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    I think I might get a summer job at a very renowned research institute back home, yeah!
    Max Planck R I? :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    From the Facebook message, what Selwyn swap is happening at Clare tomorrow? :afraid:
    Dunno, better ask someone from Selwyn. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Well I found a perfect set of screwdrivers in Maplin, everything that I would need in a nice little case. However, it was for £12.99, which was considerably more than I was intending to spend (considering that my last set cost me £2. They wer crap though) :dry: Thing is that I do have every conceivable screwdriver back at home, but they are in an enormous box which is not exactly portable. So yeah, w00p.

EDIT:I think I've managed to fix my problems with my uke with a smaller screwdriver and a pair of pliers though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Max Planck R I? :eek:
    I thought everywhere like that in Germany was called the Max Planck Institute of something-or-other :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Well I found a perfect set of screwdrivers in Maplin, everything that I would need in a nice little case. However, it was for £12.99, which was considerably more than I was intending to spend (considering that my last set cost me £2. They wer crap though) :dry: Thing is that I do have every conceivable screwdriver back at home, but they are in an enormous box which is not exactly portable. So yeah, w00p.
    There's a shop down Mill Road called H. Gee that sells stuff like electronic components. They might have that sort of thing.

Or, thinking about it for more than 2 minutes, you could try Mackays, just across East Road from the Grafton centre (on the roundabout with Elizabeth Way). They're probably a better bet.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by thegluups)
    wow "heavy snow".... :p:
    Yeah, playing football with 9 against 11 in that was not pleasant.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    I thought everywhere like that in Germany was called the Max Planck Institute of something-or-other :p:
    About 80 :p:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.