Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Phonological rules for fee.

Edit: *realises he is probably just confusing everyone* Read [r]→Ø / f __ e as "r is deleted between f and e." A linguistics joke that probably only Zhen Lin would get. :o:
    Ok I see now. I was just kinda extending my earlier protest...
    Given that I'm excluded from Linguist talk, Mathmo/Physci/Compsci talk, and Languages talk :shifty:
    Mods tend to warn people for not providing english translations when they speak in a foreign language... I think people on the thread should do something similar... just a bracketed brief overview)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Ahem. Seeing as you'd just discussed missing out the 'r' it was not a massive leap (sorry Craggy :p: )
    Was for me :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Given that I'm excluded from Linguist talk, Mathmo/Physci/Compsci talk, and Languages talk :shifty:
    Mods tend to warn people for not providing english translations when they speak in a foreign language... I think people on the thread should do something similar... just a bracketed brief overview)
    Yeah, but if we didn't rant about our subjects, this wouldn't be Cambridge. :p: And to be fair, when I'm talking about maths, it's normally because I don't get it or because I'm helping other people to get it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Phonological rules for fee.

Edit: *realises he is probably just confusing everyone* Read [r]→Ø / f __ e as "r is deleted between f and e." A linguistics joke that probably only Zhen Lin would get. :o:
    I got it, it just wasn't funny. (:p:)

ReputationRep:
    Was for me :dontknow:
    Well, as a mathmo he presumably already knew Ø represents the empty set, making it easier to interpret [r]→Ø as r-deletion. Anyhoo, the vast majority of my linguistics talk here is just explaining things to people, but I'll endeavour to provide brackets/translations where necessary.
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I got it, it just wasn't funny. (:p:)
    Yes, more of a ruffled comment. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I could talk bio stuff with you if it makes you feel any better? So could Grunch. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just ate a chocolate.

This was probably a stupid thing to do...

I could talk bio stuff with you if it makes you feel any better? So could Grunch. :p:
    Hahah, it would for me but not the bulk of Arts students.
    Yeah, but if we didn't rant about our subjects, this wouldn't be Cambridge. :p: And to be fair, when I'm talking about maths, it's normally because I don't get it or because I'm helping other people to get it.
    Yeh I know... subject speak is kind of inevitable and necessary. Its only noticeable when it takes over two or three thread pages.

ReputationRep:
    I just ate a chocolate.

This was probably a stupid thing to do...

Hahah, it would for me but not the bulk of Arts students.

Yeh I know... subject speak is kind of inevitable and necessary. Its only noticeable when it takes over two or three thread pages.
    You ruffled him!! :eek:

Nothing involving chocolate can be stupid :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    No no, you did. When I thought you were correcting my spelling... This conversation is falling apart somewhat.

In other news, I accidentally found a paper that supports what I'm trying to argue in my current essay using one of my favourite grammatical constructions in Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    No no, you did. When I thought you were correcting my spelling... This conversation is falling apart somewhat.

In other news, I accidentally found a paper that supports what I'm trying to argue in my current essay using one of my favourite grammatical constructions in Japanese.
    I've been falling apart for months...

lol I don't correct spellings! :mad: :p:

ok with you now...Sorry Craggy :rolleyes:

Are you sure you didn't 'forget' that you'd read it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Um what!? :confused: Firstly what is 'ruffled', secondly what did I miss.

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:
    Oh, but te-iru is so warm and bubbly. You just attach what seems to be a verb of existence to a gerund form of another verb, and bang! You have a progressive form (or sometimes perfective, there's the rub) that you can conjugate.

ReputationRep:
    Um what!? :confused: Firstly what is 'ruffled', secondly what did I miss.
    Sorry I was not being funny...Again

Ruffled: vexed, shaken up...But of course, it can mean anything you want it to mean

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but te-iru is so warm and bubbly. You just attach what seems to be a verb of existence to a gerund form of another verb, and bang! You have a progressive form (or sometimes perfective, there's the rub) that you can conjugate.
    If circumstances were different, I would ask you to marry me :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm. I don't know, I might have to see this in action before I could develop any true emotion towards it, and given that my Japanese knowledge stretches to "OMG, KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ^_____^", I don't think that's happening any time soon. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was not being funny...Again
    Ah.. wrong time of day. Its getting too morning-like, and I don't do those :p: I seriously need bed but I'm staring at an ethical consent form.

This is stupid.

Night everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. wrong time of day. Its getting too morning-like, and I don't do those :p: I seriously need bed but I'm staring at an ethical consent form.

This is stupid.

Night everyone!
    It must be some ethic :eek:

You can't go to sleep so soon on chocolate :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't know, I might have to see this in action before I could develop any true emotion towards it, and given that my Japanese knowledge stretches to "OMG, KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ^_____^", I don't think that's happening any time soon. :p:
    Maybe this meme-based summary of te-iru I just made will explain.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Maybe this meme-based summary of te-iru I just made will explain.
    :rofl:

Ugh, I'm writing a story called "if Cambridge students were fish" in German. I can speak German perfectly well, I just can't write retarded stories. :bawling:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.