Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Phonological rules for fee.

Edit: *realises he is probably just confusing everyone* Read [r]→Ø / f __ e as "r is deleted between f and e." A linguistics joke that probably only Zhen Lin would get. :o:
    Ok I see now. I was just kinda extending my earlier protest...
    Given that I'm excluded from Linguist talk, Mathmo/Physci/Compsci talk, and Languages talk :shifty:
    Mods tend to warn people for not providing english translations when they speak in a foreign language... I think people on the thread should do something similar... just a bracketed brief overview)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Ahem. Seeing as you'd just discussed missing out the 'r' it was not a massive leap (sorry Craggy :p: )
    Was for me :dontknow:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Given that I'm excluded from Linguist talk, Mathmo/Physci/Compsci talk, and Languages talk :shifty:
    Mods tend to warn people for not providing english translations when they speak in a foreign language... I think people on the thread should do something similar... just a bracketed brief overview)
    Yeah, but if we didn't rant about our subjects, this wouldn't be Cambridge. :p: And to be fair, when I'm talking about maths, it's normally because I don't get it or because I'm helping other people to get it.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Phonological rules for fee.

Edit: *realises he is probably just confusing everyone* Read [r]→Ø / f __ e as "r is deleted between f and e." A linguistics joke that probably only Zhen Lin would get. :o:
    I got it, it just wasn't funny. (:p:)

ReputationRep:
    Was for me :dontknow:
    Well, as a mathmo he presumably already knew Ø represents the empty set, making it easier to interpret [r]→Ø as r-deletion. Anyhoo, the vast majority of my linguistics talk here is just explaining things to people, but I'll endeavour to provide brackets/translations where necessary.
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    I got it, it just wasn't funny. (:p:)
    Yes, more of a ruffled comment. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I could talk bio stuff with you if it makes you feel any better? So could Grunch. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I just ate a chocolate.

This was probably a stupid thing to do...

I could talk bio stuff with you if it makes you feel any better? So could Grunch. :p:
    Hahah, it would for me but not the bulk of Arts students.
    Yeah, but if we didn't rant about our subjects, this wouldn't be Cambridge. :p: And to be fair, when I'm talking about maths, it's normally because I don't get it or because I'm helping other people to get it.
    Yeh I know... subject speak is kind of inevitable and necessary. Its only noticeable when it takes over two or three thread pages.

ReputationRep:
    I just ate a chocolate.

This was probably a stupid thing to do...

Hahah, it would for me but not the bulk of Arts students.

Yeh I know... subject speak is kind of inevitable and necessary. Its only noticeable when it takes over two or three thread pages.
    You ruffled him!! :eek:

Nothing involving chocolate can be stupid :eyeball:

ReputationRep:
    No no, you did. When I thought you were correcting my spelling... This conversation is falling apart somewhat.

In other news, I accidentally found a paper that supports what I'm trying to argue in my current essay using one of my favourite grammatical constructions in Japanese.

ReputationRep:
    No no, you did. When I thought you were correcting my spelling... This conversation is falling apart somewhat.

In other news, I accidentally found a paper that supports what I'm trying to argue in my current essay using one of my favourite grammatical constructions in Japanese.
    I've been falling apart for months...

lol I don't correct spellings! :mad: :p:

ok with you now...Sorry Craggy :rolleyes:

Are you sure you didn't 'forget' that you'd read it
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team

:indiff:

ReputationRep:
    Um what!? :confused: Firstly what is 'ruffled', secondly what did I miss.

ReputationRep:
    :indiff:
    Oh, but te-iru is so warm and bubbly. You just attach what seems to be a verb of existence to a gerund form of another verb, and bang! You have a progressive form (or sometimes perfective, there's the rub) that you can conjugate.

ReputationRep:
    Um what!? :confused: Firstly what is 'ruffled', secondly what did I miss.
    Sorry I was not being funny...Again

Ruffled: vexed, shaken up...But of course, it can mean anything you want it to mean

ReputationRep:
    Oh, but te-iru is so warm and bubbly. You just attach what seems to be a verb of existence to a gerund form of another verb, and bang! You have a progressive form (or sometimes perfective, there's the rub) that you can conjugate.
    If circumstances were different, I would ask you to marry me :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Hmm. I don't know, I might have to see this in action before I could develop any true emotion towards it, and given that my Japanese knowledge stretches to "OMG, KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ^_____^", I don't think that's happening any time soon. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry I was not being funny...Again
    Ah.. wrong time of day. Its getting too morning-like, and I don't do those :p: I seriously need bed but I'm staring at an ethical consent form.

This is stupid.

Night everyone!

ReputationRep:
    Ah.. wrong time of day. Its getting too morning-like, and I don't do those :p: I seriously need bed but I'm staring at an ethical consent form.

This is stupid.

Night everyone!
    It must be some ethic :eek:

You can't go to sleep so soon on chocolate :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Hmm. I don't know, I might have to see this in action before I could develop any true emotion towards it, and given that my Japanese knowledge stretches to "OMG, KAWAIIIIIIIIIIIIIII ^_____^", I don't think that's happening any time soon. :p:
    Maybe this meme-based summary of te-iru I just made will explain.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Maybe this meme-based summary of te-iru I just made will explain.
    :rofl:

Ugh, I'm writing a story called "if Cambridge students were fish" in German. I can speak German perfectly well, I just can't write retarded stories. :bawling:

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should predicted grades be removed from the uni application process

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.