Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Ugh, I'm writing a story called "if Cambridge students were fish" in German. I can speak German perfectly well, I just can't write retarded stories. :bawling:
    Absurd excuse for practicing the subjunctive #5143?

...wow. Brain freeze. Kuru is to come, not to go.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Absurd excuse for practicing the subjunctive #5143?

...wow. Brain freeze. Kuru is to come, not to go.
    Precisely.

*fills story with hideous, outdated subjunctives just to make it hard to read*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thicky)
    Ruffled: vexed, shaken up...But of course, it can mean anything you want it to mean
    No offence taken by aforementioned ruffling - thanks for the rep.

*subtly changes te-iru picture to a version without a glaring error*

ReputationRep:
    No offence taken by aforementioned ruffling - thanks for the rep.

*subtly changes te-iru picture to a version without a glaring error*
    Misapprehended ruffling, please :p:

Make sure you do And it's not so subtle? :p:

ReputationRep:
    Make sure you do And it's not so subtle? :p:
    Like I said above, I wrote down kuru as the verb "to go," when it's the verb "to come." I tend to make that kind of stupid when I'm thinking about the syntax rather than the semantics - I handed in a supervision essay the other day that used kinyoubi (Friday) in an example sentence, and I put "Friday" in the word for word translation, but "Monday" in the whole sentence translation, which amused my supervisor. :p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    I can't get enough of this snow! There was a huge fight in Old Court, and the porter let everyone carry on Somebody shoved a load into my hair while I was walking past on the way home from the library. I brought a large pile in, knocked on my german housemate's door and gave it to him. He said I was strange and then microwaved it :eyeball: Hypocrite :p:
    Is that any of Profesh, generalebriety or Scipio? :p:
    I chastise crap grammar, not non-standard. At any rate, the number of occasions where I've split an infinitive, ended a sentence with a preposition, or started a sentence with a co-ordinating conjunction doesn't really lend me to the hard-line prescriptivist stance, and nor would I wish to espouse such. Except when taking the piss, that is.

(Original post by minimo)
    OMG, I totally share the hate. The Profesh fangirls in the back room totally do my head in too.
    I'm surprised you aren't more sympathetic - after all, you were among them. Well, until I rebuked you in The Back Room/Shoutbox for being a judgemental prude.

Then again, maybe that's precisely the point.

ReputationRep:
    Like I said above, I wrote down kuru as the verb "to go," when it's the verb "to come." I tend to make that kind of stupid when I'm thinking about the syntax rather than the semantics - I handed in a supervision essay the other day that used kinyoubi (Friday) in an example sentence, and I put "Friday" in the word for word translation, but "Monday" in the whole sentence translation, which amused my supervisor. :p:
    An interesting trait :p:

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear it looks like Profesh sensed all the hate and has negged me for it :p:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Whyyyyyyyyyy am I still awake?

Oh yeah. It's because I got up at 3:30pm and then went to the pub.

****. I'm going to bed... see some of you tomorrow, hopefully.

ReputationRep:
    Oh dear it looks like Profesh sensed all the hate and has negged me for it :p:
    Signed 'P.'? Pfft, that could've been anyone.

Oops.

ReputationRep:
    Gah, I need to walk to Addies.

ReputationRep:
    its my day off today. And James' school just sang to say that school's closed! Woo! Today's going to be awesome. And the boat looks so pretty all covered in snow!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Gah, I need to walk to Addies.
    you serious? from home? why?? I am going to tit hall and my department.. but the distance is obviously much shorter than yours...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Comp_Genius)
    you serious? from home? why?? I am going to tit hall and my department.. but the distance is obviously much shorter than yours...
    Snow, I'd guess.

Hooray! I haven't slept. I'll be fun company at formal tonight.

ReputationRep:
    The forecast has been updated. Looks like snow all week. Hmmm...
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Cool. Selwyn is beautiful in the snow. Sadly, in about fifteen minutes' time, I'll be swearing and cursing half way to Mill Lane because it's ******* cold.

ReputationRep:
    Schools are closed, so why the hell aren't lectures cancelled???? :mad:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Teachers are selfish; lecturers are sadistic.

ReputationRep:
    If lectures were cancelled then I will fail the tripos :o:

Of course, staggering to lectures today may be quite difficult in the snow. I'm not sure if I will make it all the way there :indiff:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jcb914)
    Heh, we also have lectures on Bank Holidays. The Real World has no influence on Cambridge.

Poll
Who do you think it's more helpful to talk about mental health with?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.