Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    We need a new chat thread!! I think. It runs out on page 400 right?
    Nope. 2000 posts to go still. It gets closed for storage reasons at 10k.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    We need a new chat thread!! I think. It runs out on page 400 right?
    @10k posts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    From the impression I have of it, it's going to be pretty empty.
    Me too, the TSR people would probably constitute about 80% of the audience :p:

ReputationRep:
    400's a nicer number than 500 :sad:

But at least there's no hassle of upping sticks and moving.

ReputationRep:
    I just looked at the first page, and this incarnation of the thread was only started a third of the way through last November. 8k posts in a couple of months :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I'd be up for Clare Cellars as (a) we're already at Clare and (b) I've never been.

No offence TWW :p:
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    You've seriously never heard of this? :lolwut:
    As I've said before, if guys aren't wearing suits for Formal then it isn't a proper Formal. The clue is in the name.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for that info, Gesar. I vote we go there!
    (Original post by Tom)
    I just looked at the first page, and this incarnation of the thread was only started a third of the way through last November. 8k posts in a couple of months :eek:
    Freshers.

With their maths.
    And languages.
    :dry:

:p:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tom)
    We are that geeky. :proud:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    As I've said before, if guys aren't wearing suits for Formal then it isn't a proper Formal. The clue is in the name.
    Noone's asking you to come :eviltongue:

I'm happy enough to sit and look pretty in the oldest hall in Cambridge :^^:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    400's a nicer number than 500 :sad:
    :lies:

ReputationRep:
    Not many surprises here:p:
    Spoiler:
    Show
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    Noone's asking you to come :eviltongue:
    I've been to Caius Formal, which was similar, in a suit. :proud:

PS: ~200 words to go...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    Spoiler:
    Show
    Exactly... so there wasn't any need to provide that info :rolleyes:
    Anyway - go me! After boycotting the thread too :p:

ReputationRep:
    Spoiler:
    Show

I take my hat off to the spam queen though :dry:

(Original post by Scipio90)
    Yeah. Battling through a "can't think of something actually difficult? Then ask about ohm's law in a way requiring large amounts of tedious manipulation." question now...
    Been there, got stuck, moved on...

(Original post by Lidka)
    Salmon mousse starter, Pork fillet in sage butter/Aubergine parmigiana, with Anna potatoes (have no idea who Anna is... :p:), broccoli, carrots, Mille feuille. Warning: actual contents may differ. :rolleyes:

I think we should have enough tickets for formal now - assuming I've counted correctly!
    Horay! This makes me happy Nice looking menu too. What time are we meeting again? :o:

(Original post by scarlet ibis)
    The exciting thing is that the reason I need this publication is that I am in the process of putting together an application for a Masters by Research MPhil with my wonderful lovely mentor. He partly supervised my dissertation, and now needs someone (and he has me earmarked for it!) to do a Masters (leading into a PhD) in some important and very relevant work on interdiscipinary design and sustainability! Its still not certain but if we can get funding sorted, it could very well go ahead.
    Wow, that does sound exciting, congratulations

(Original post by Excalibur)
    Thanks. Should I be ashamed that you know more about my college than I do? :p:
    Yes :sadnod:

Yeh, wellies or gore-tex hiking boots :king1: I have both but couldn't pass an opportunity to stride about in the latter. Very comfy :yep: And far warmer
    Woops! I just sent a message round on facebook to prod people to make a decision. Can you send another round to clarify the situation?

I didn't bring my hiking boots to Cambridge this time Now I have permanently wet feet.

Just ignore him. He's into heraldry :yes:

:p:
    :hmmm:

I may or may not have a book on my desk which has the blazon and history (together with illustrations) of every coat of arms for every college and theological school in Cambridge

Food sounds good to me And I'm relieved its salmon mousse not something with shellfish because that's the only thing I don't like pretty much (that and liver/organs)
    Whereas Salmon is one of the only fish that I can (almost) eat

(Original post by FadedJade)
    Well its your choice I can either UMS you the cash tomorrow or bank transfer it so its in your bank account almost instantly :p: All I need is name, account number and sort code.
    I have only just realised that you are back! How did you get on?

If Clare Cellars is just a regular bar on Mondays, lets go there!

Otherwise...
    The Maypole? Er the Castle? The Mill? The Maypole.. Ahem :o:
    Never been to Clare cellars. The Maypole is quite good I've heard though

Argh! I gave in my ethical consent form to the faculty today, and now that its done I have massively cold feet about my research idea :ahhhhh: *sigh* It could be a disaster, but oh well.

Thanks
    :console: It'll be amazing :yes:

In other news I have just had a really very helpful Structures supervision

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    I've been to Caius Formal, which was similar, in a suit. :proud:
    1: I know you're teasing
    2: I find it necessary to state accurate facts on behalf of our large non-Cambridge audience who may - at this conjuncture - develop woefully errant views :hmmmm:
    3: Cauis' hall is not like Peterhouse for the following reasons:

Spoiler:
    Show

- They have medium to light wood, we have dark wood
    - They have large portraits of recent masters (including my step-grandad )/ we have small very very old portraits of masters/benefactors and no recent ones
    - They have crap food/we have average ranging to very nice food
    - They chase everyone out of hall after an hour - we only do it after 90mins, and not necessarily every time :p:
    - Peterhouse hall was built in 1284/Caius ... hmm.... well I'll go wiki it, but it looks newer and the college is fourth oldest which means earliest 1300s.
    - Caius have candles and lights (correct me if I'm wrong)/Peterhouse only use candles
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I have no idea what to wear tonight. I only go to formal in dresses, and its too cold to wear a dress

ReputationRep:
    I have no idea what to wear tonight. I only go to formal in dresses, and its too cold to wear a dress
    Smart trousers, nice warm knitted thing and a smart coat?

I'm wearing thick tights, boots, wool skirt and then loads of jumpers and a ski jacket

ReputationRep:
    I'm wearing a dress. :proud: with tights, thick socks, boots and a fur-lined leather coat plus hat, scarf and two pairs of gloves when outside.

ReputationRep:
    Oh crap only 50 minutes. I've gotta start paying attention to the time.

HOLY CRAP I just kicked my bad ankle

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.