The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 8080
Essay due tomorrow and not even finished the reading. SO screwed. Library time! :vroam:
I've written 1800 words on whether or not perpetual peace is an achievable goal in politics, and I've still got more to say. Enjoying this topic :yep:

Craghyrax
./

Just to check: for Politics this term, we need to use contemporary examples alongside writing about the theories themselves, yes? :p:
Reply 8082
brimstone
I've written 1800 words on whether or not perpetual peace is an achievable goal in politics, and I've still got more to say. Enjoying this topic :yep:

Yeh Kant was my favourite of Lent Politics :love:
brimstone

Just to check: for Politics this term, we need to use contemporary examples alongside writing about the theories themselves, yes? :p:

I have no idea to be honest. I think examples really help, but I don't remember it being stressed to me that it was a requirement. Anyway Politics was my lowest mark, so I'm not really a good port of call :frown:
Reply 8083
K.T.
Not to my knowledge... we have compscis here anyway, so I don't know why she's bothering you guys :confused:

I was defending Newnham :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:
Reply 8084
Craghyrax
I always think I can trace touches of South African in peoples' accents all the time, and it gets quite disorientating. Last year's Psychology lecturer Dr Lam has a strong American accent that frequently lapses into something quite different. He's spent time at a Scandinavian University.. so maybe its that rather than SA (eg Dutch people often sound South African)

I can do quite a passable SA accent (according to a former classsmate whose mother is South African, and my own judgement :tongue: ) but half the time it descends into a Birmingham/Brummy accent :mad:
Reply 8085
Thicky
I was defending Newnham :eek: :mad: :rolleyes:

Yeah, girl power!

Reply 8086
K.T.
Yeah, girl power!

I wouldn't quite go that far...
Carluccio is so cute :suith: I want to keep him.
Reply 8088
Thicky
I can do quite a passable SA accent (according to a former classsmate whose mother is South African, and my own judgement :tongue: ) but half the time it descends into a Birmingham/Brummy accent :mad:

SA to Australian or New Zealand I can see. SA to Dutch or even certain aspects of German, likewise.

But South African to Brummie? :s-smilie: :confused:
Reply 8089
Tom
SA to Australian or New Zealand I can see. SA to Dutch or even certain aspects of German, likewise.

But South African to Brummie? :s-smilie: :confused:

Stretch out South African pronunciation and you get Brummie!
Craghyrax
Essay due tomorrow and not even finished the reading. SO screwed. Library time! :vroam:

:ditto: minus the library bit. Ooops!
Reply 8091
FadedJade
:ditto: minus the library bit. Ooops!

How far did you manage in the end???
673 miles :proud: We got to Lyon via Paris. Rich was meant to be doing a write-up today which I will share with you all when I have it
FadedJade
673 miles :proud: We got to Lyon via Paris. Rich was meant to be doing a write-up today which I will share with you all when I have it

is that RAG?

If it is... nice one :wink:

I'm still nto quite sure how the people who got to Detroit managed...
Reply 8094
This is the most conceptually squeezing thing I've done all year, and I have no time. I'm so screwed :bawling: I'm already shaking with tiredness and I've not begun writing.
Craghyrax
This is the most conceptually squeezing thing I've done all year, and I have no time. I'm so screwed :bawling: I'm already shaking with tiredness and I've not begun writing.

Good luck Craghy. I'm likely to be in a similar situation next week as I've been up late the last four nights in a row, none of them due to work. :s-smilie:

And congrats to FJ on the RAG Jailbreak (I assume that that was what you're referring to). :yep:
Reply 8096
Y__
Just quoting you to get your attention :P . Saxl is getting worse, isn't he? Thoroughly disorganized and lacking a bit of structure...By the way, I was talking to a friend about Saxl's accent - I am convinced it is some kind of German (southern Austria, if I had to guess), but my friend thinks it's something Eastern European. What do you think?

Hey, you're a mathmo.

What the hell is Siklos on?! The man's a fool! Please make him go away :frown:

And I think there's a fairly large error in our example sheet, but I don't want to tell anyone in a position of power because it gives me an excuse to not do the question. (Example sheet 1, this is). The end of question 9 - shouldn't it be the error function? Has he completely missed off an integral operator?

I haven't done the question btw, I was comtemplating it and thought that Skilos' answer clashes quite violently with Worster's.
Reply 8097
Gesar
Hey, you're a mathmo.

What the hell is Siklos on?! The man's a fool! Please make him go away :frown:

And I think there's a fairly large error in our example sheet, but I don't want to tell anyone in a position of power because it gives me an excuse to not do the question. (Example sheet 1, this is). The end of question 9 - shouldn't it be the error function? Has he completely missed off an integral operator?

I haven't done the question btw, I was comtemplating it and thought that Skilos' answer clashes quite violently with Worster's.

Haven't done 9 myself either, but my supervisor's solution agreed with Siklos' and it looked convincing. My supervisor promised to give me a copy of his solution, so if I get that tomorrow, I can send you a photograph of it.
It's a shame that both of the "applied" lecturers this term are not very good lecturers at all. I find it difficult to motivate myself for the applied stuff anyways, and that doesn't make it any easier.
Reply 8098
What is he doing? ( I don't quote you because he may have Eyes :eek: )
Reply 8099
Y__
Haven't done 9 myself either, but my supervisor's solution agreed with Siklos' and it looked convincing. My supervisor promised to give me a copy of his solution, so if I get that tomorrow, I can send you a photograph of it.
It's a shame that both of the "applied" lecturers this term are not very good lecturers at all. I find it difficult to motivate myself for the applied stuff anyways, and that doesn't make it any easier.

But it's exactly the same thing that Worster did, but with a different method... And Worster made a -huge- song and dance about getting the error function as a solution. Why would he have wanted the error function if it was entirely possible to get an exact solution? It doesn't make sense. To me, anyway. Having a copy of that would be helpful, thanks :smile:

Ah well. I agree - the applied lecturers are bad, and it doesn't help. But I have a -brilliant- supervisor for VC, thank god :smile: We met him today in our class - I learnt something! That rubbish about arclength being natural and how to work out radius of curvature and what the integrals actually do -makes sense- :biggrin: PLus he's going to tell us how to prove (at least partway) the algorithm for solving rubik's cubes, in the spare minutes we can scrape together at the end of classes :p:

Latest

Trending

Trending