Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Through the Diploma course run by the MML faculty. I attend "Use of German" and "Translation" classes, grammar lectures (well, I don't, but I'm supposed to), and supervisions for the oral exam, and then sit the relevant first-year Tripos exams at the end of the year, minus literature / linguistics / the stuff I don't do. It's about a quarter of a first-year MML student's work. There's also a qualification called the Certificate for those who haven't studied the language before (equivalent to a large part of the work done by MML ab initio students).
    Thanks very much

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Aha! I got around the problem.

Rather than hit 'Save option' or whatever it is, I right-click and select 'Open in new tab', and the crappy website is outsmarted and I have access to lotsa rep history :yep:

Though I still don't know how to get access to my repping power.
    before I repped you your power was 29

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    before I repped you your power was 29
    lol. Woooo! 29!!
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Y__)
    Even non-mathmos will like this probability question:

"Parliament contains a proportion p of Conservative members, who are incapable of changing their minds about anything, and a proportion 1-p of Labour members, who change their minds completely at random, with probability r, between successive votes on the same issue. A randomly chosen member is observed to have voted twice in succession the same way. What is the probability that this member will vote in the same way next time?"
    Haha, very good! :yep:

Out of interest, is the answer {p + (1-p)(1-r)}?
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    I wish I'd known about the structure and content of those language courses earlier. I would have loved to have done one.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alex_hk90)
    Haha, very good! :yep:

Out of interest, is the answer {p + (1-p)(1-r)}?
    I don't think so: You're not taking into account that we already know that the guy we picked has voted the same on the two precedent votes (which, roughly speaking, makes it more likely that he's a Tory).
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    (Original post by Y__)
    I don't think so: You're not taking into account that we already know that the guy we picked has voted the same on the two precedent votes (which, roughly speaking, makes it more likely that he's a Tory).
    Hmm, I actually meant to write {p + (1-p)(1-r)^2}, but that still doesn't take into account what you've pointed out. What I was thinking was that it's just the probability that he's a Tory (p) plus the probability that he's Labour and voted twice in a row the same way, and will vote the same way again (1-p)(1-r)(1-r).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Crazy_emz)
    Lol, is that for the Western Culture thingy? So was I when I read it, although I was really tempted to pretend that I agreed with Freud just to make the seminar slightly more interesting.

And congrats Athena!
    One of the girls in the seminar got really fed up and ended up saying "well, Freud says that we feel inferior to men because we want a penis, and it's all just ******** really", which expressed how all of us were feeling I think!

My shadow had to cancel because her trains got screwed up, saddening times On the dubious plus side, I now have lots of time to do Russian.

ReputationRep:
    Right, I'm going to bring my work to ceilidh band tonight so I can make some notes during the break. I've been resorting to some rather extreme time-saving measures lately to fit as much work in as possible. Yesterday I even went as far as bringing my swivel chair into the gyp room so that I could make notes and stir pasta at the same time... :redface:

ReputationRep:
    One of the girls in the seminar got really fed up and ended up saying "well, Freud says that we feel inferior to men because we want a penis, and it's all just ******** really", which expressed how all of us were feeling I think!

My shadow had to cancel because her trains got screwed up, saddening times On the dubious plus side, I now have lots of time to do Russian.
    Oh, that's a shame about your shadow. But lol at what someone in your seminar said - I pretty much said the same thing but minus the swearing.

ReputationRep:
    I have just finished a mammoth piece of coursework :dumbells: 103 pages, plus another ~30 in appendices.

Also, funny smiley: :begone:

ReputationRep:
    Woo, I only need to be in for 0930 :excited: I think I might go to bed now though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    I shall rely on you getting me formz

Tankoooo

If anyone is doing anything tonight please let me come tooooo. Everyone I know is working and I'm borrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrred.
    i have a form for you, will pidge tommorrow morn.

ReputationRep:
    My evening was a bit **** - kinda reminded me why I never both attempting to meet new people these days.

ReputationRep:
    :eek: So tired! :stickyman: Just got back from trailing two shadows around all day.. this included walking to Churchill and back. Knackered!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    Yesterday I even went as far as bringing my swivel chair into the gyp room so that I could make notes and stir pasta at the same time... :redface:
    :laugh: I can't decide whether it's Cambridge that's crazy or just you. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    I'm miffed with Peterhouse. The shadows wanted to go to a real formal (the shadow's dinner tonight was just buttery), and I got home to find one of those endless emails from our catering team telling us at the very last minute (again. although better than the times that they don't tell us at all) that buttery would be early because of a feast on in the hall... and of course the feast means no formal, and the other volunteer is a Scholar which means she's going and I'm looking after both shadows :hmpf:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    How do I find out how much rep I have now that the evil people in charge have messed everything up?
    The widget with three lines of rep has a circle with three lines in it on the top right corner. Click on this and it will allow you to choose how many lines of rep you can see.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    New mods :teeth:

ReputationRep:
    Who put a handout with a Habermas question and readings into my pidge? Thanks whoever you are
    (Original post by Tom)
    I have just finished a mammoth piece of coursework :dumbells: 103 pages, plus another ~30 in appendices.
    :five:
    (Original post by Tom)
    Also, funny smiley: :begone:
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Athena)
    Darwin. VSM thinks it's almost certain I'll get that if I don't get Emma, which suits me - I'd rather not be Newnham/Murray Edwards/Homerton/Robinson/Hughes Hall/Wolfson etc, so I might as well make an intelligent second pick.
    Clare Hall seems pretty cool. Nevertheless I'm sure you'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.