Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Is there a Hobbycraft in Cambridge? They do it, I believe. Otherwise you could try and randomly descend on an administrative part of Cambridge as they might have the facility.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Even non-mathmos will like this probability question:

"Parliament contains a proportion p of Conservative members, who are incapable of changing their minds about anything, and a proportion 1-p of Labour members, who change their minds completely at random, with probability r, between successive votes on the same issue. A randomly chosen member is observed to have voted twice in succession the same way. What is the probability that this member will vote in the same way next time?"

Gowers is a genius :yep: .
    Brilliant :p: I'm not going to even attempt it though...

(Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    Right, I'm going to bring my work to ceilidh band tonight so I can make some notes during the break. I've been resorting to some rather extreme time-saving measures lately to fit as much work in as possible. Yesterday I even went as far as bringing my swivel chair into the gyp room so that I could make notes and stir pasta at the same time... :redface:
    Yeah and that worked fantastically well, didn't it...

(Original post by FadedJade)
    New mods :teeth:
    Who? :teeth: (I can't see )

I'm a little depressed that the only thing that I appear to be good at in Cambridge is playing the melodeon and I'm not great at that. Only one cure for that kind of thinking, bed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Only one cure for that kind of thinking, bed.
    Sensible :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Sensible :yep:
    As always Well, sometimes. Occasionally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Scipio90)
    Writing a working program is like beating a boghog to death: no matter how pleased you are your calves are no longer being bitten, it was messy, painful, and only served to reinforce your wish to be on another planet.
    Talking of programs, I want to write one to compare two models of phonology that would basically deal with sets of constraints on word forms and the effects produced by ranking them differently. Do you think python would be a reasonable thing to write such a program in, or is there something more immediately useful?

Anyhoo, had a day of sleep today. Which was nice, but of course didn't involve much work.

ReputationRep:
    *sigh* Fail at this bloomin essay yet again. Not sure what I'm going to say in the supervision tomorrow - erm...only random patches of the reading were comprehensible?
    The most aggravating thing about Cambridge generally is time. Given a week to do this essay (like certain arts students :hmpf:) I am confident I would crack and master it! There are some issues that wikipedia and SEP don't illuminate by summarising, and this is one that requires dedicated time and careful thought, and more reading!

I can't wait for a Masters.. freedom to focus on one thing and to do it properly.

Bed... and possibly the crappest supervision of the year tomorrow.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chess Piece Face)
    Right, I'm going to bring my work to ceilidh band tonight so I can make some notes during the break. I've been resorting to some rather extreme time-saving measures lately to fit as much work in as possible. Yesterday I even went as far as bringing my swivel chair into the gyp room so that I could make notes and stir pasta at the same time... :redface:
    Is it just me or are you working a lot harder than you were earlier in Lent?

ReputationRep:
    Good luck Craggy

I have a loooooooooooooooooong day ahead

ReputationRep:
    Why the hell must I get up for bloody technical drawing on a Friday morning? I just was to sleep damnit, this is so unfair. STupid drawing, with it's accuracy and dullness :dry:AND I'll have a session this afternoon as well. Wonderful. My first priority is now to sleep, my second being to tidy my room. It just went from "messy" to "unbearable".

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Supergrunch)
    Talking of programs, I want to write one to compare two models of phonology that would basically deal with sets of constraints on word forms and the effects produced by ranking them differently. Do you think python would be a reasonable thing to write such a program in, or is there something more immediately useful?
    I'm not Scipio but if you know Python already then it's probably best to use that. If you're planning on using funny characters you might have to look into doing stuff with unicode but you probably know that and python's fairly modern and so should have something that can deal with it. And presumably it's quite good at dealing with strings (unlike Fortran. Fortran would not be a reasonable thing).

ReputationRep:
    HAVE YOU SEEN THE SNOW?!?!!?!?!?!? :woo: :woo: (I have a feeling my rugby training will be cancelled :rolleyes:

also toasted bagel + honey = :coma:

ReputationRep:
    Not snow again

I really need to do some work today. I think I probably work better in the evening, so I'll spread all my work out after lunch up to tonight.

I'm now going to sleep for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Snow! Snow snow snow snow!

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I'm well on the way to having a productive morning...

ReputationRep:
    Meaning you've not been productive yet :p:

brimstone and West Wing: look out for me and someone Indian (I think) in Politics this morning

ReputationRep:
    Meaning you've not been productive yet :p:
    lol, no. Meaning I've done some work already.

ReputationRep:
    brimstone and West Wing: look out for me and someone Indian (I think) in Politics this morning [/COLOR]
    Erm, I may not have gone to Politics :ninja: :o:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by brimstone)
    I'm now going to sleep for a bit.

ReputationRep:
    Argh! Supposed to be taking the train back to see my family in Devon tonight, I'm really worried that it'll be delayed/cancelled becuase of the snow. National Rail Enquiries says the route's OK for the moment but my train's already only getting in at 10:30. Any delays could seriously bugger up my journey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone)
    Erm, I may not have gone to Politics :ninja: :o:
    It was not good. I slept for 40 minutes of it. The only value of going was to see Craggy.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.