Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Today in one of my lectures it got to the point where I was unwilling to write the stuff down because the lecturer was so crap at explaining what he was doing.

Maths is fun!
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Today in one of my lectures it got to the point where I was unwilling to write the stuff down because the lecturer was so crap at explaining what he was doing.

Maths is fun!
    Who?

Edit: having looked at the timetable, I can guess...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)

Maths is fun!
    The only reasons I'm still going to VC are that 1) it's between GRM and Analysis and 2) I don't trust myself to work thoroughly through a book that deals with the subject. I don't get it - hasn't it crossed his mind that it might be better to explain the method and let us do the dirty algebra work (or give out handouts containing the algebra) instead of randomly stating things that he knows are true and then doing the algebra on the board? I'm contemplating writing an e-mail to the faculty e-mail helpline.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Who?

Edit: having looked at the timetable, I can guess...
    Dr H.

(Original post by y__)
    The only reasons I'm still going to VC are that 1) it's between GRM and Analysis and 2) I don't trust myself to work thoroughly through a book that deals with the subject. I don't get it - hasn't it crossed his mind that it might be better to explain the method and let us do the dirty algebra work (or give out handouts containing the algebra) instead of randomly stating things that he knows are true and then doing the algebra on the board? I'm contemplating writing an e-mail to the faculty e-mail helpline.
    The only reason I'm still going is because I payed £3000 for that crap, and my seat next to my girton friends will be taken by the time I'd arrive for analysis.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/studrep/res/notes.html -- Two sets of lecture notes for VC, one written by Cowley. I think I'm going to start learning from them instead. Based on how badly H started, I can't see how he's going to get better now that he's teaching us crap that I couldn't care less about, so I think my attendance will stop over the next week or so.

Luckily my supervisor is a pure mathematician and is good at explaining things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Dr H.

The only reason I'm still going is because I payed £3000 for that crap, and my seat next to my girton friends will be taken by Analysis.

http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/studrep/res/notes.html -- Two sets of lecture notes for VC, one written by Cowley. I think I'm going to start learning from them instead. Based on how badly H started, I can't see how he's going to get better now that he's teaching us crap that I couldn't care less about, so I think my attendance will stop over the next week or so.

Cowley's notes are good :yep: .
    Argh, can't find the faculty helpline e-mail adress... does anyone of you have it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Y__)
    Cowley's notes are good :yep: .
    Argh, can't find the faculty helpline e-mail adress... does anyone of you have it?
    'Fraid not. If I did I would have sent in a number of complaints about S already...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gesar)
    Dr H.

The only reason I'm still going is because I payed £3000 for that crap, and my seat next to my girton friends will be taken by the time I'd arrive for analysis.

Ahem...payed???? Dear God boy, you're at Oxbridge :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    Agreed about the VC lecture today. But then again, I'm a bit biased, since I think we should be doing it in terms of exterior derivatives. (On the other hand, I'm a bit of an algebraist when it comes to these things and I prefer to think of it in terms of formal symbol-pushing rather than anything physical.)

In any case, the contact details are here.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Llamaaa)
    Ahem...payed???? Dear God boy, you're at Oxbridge :tongue:
    :confused:

ReputationRep:
    As you know, of course, the correct spelling is <paid>...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    exterior derivatives
    *wikipedias*

Someone's just messing about with that, surely?

ReputationRep:
    No no, the musical isomorphisms are for real. :p:

ReputationRep:
    I am in such a bad mood. I should never have woken up.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Zhen Lin)
    As you know, of course, the correct spelling is <paid>...
    *shrug*. I haven't needed to worry about im/perfect past tenses since GCSE german, and never in english.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scarlet ibis)
    Argh! Supposed to be taking the train back to see my family in Devon tonight, I'm really worried that it'll be delayed/cancelled becuase of the snow. National Rail Enquiries says the route's OK for the moment but my train's already only getting in at 10:30. Any delays could seriously bugger up my journey...
    A38 past Exeter is closed atm I think. Bits of it are, anyway. So I don't rate your rail chances highly Since the line is closer to the moor than the motorway in a lot of places (e.g. Ivybridge).

edit: depends how far you're going actually. I always forget Devon actually extends up past Exeter :redface:
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I think the email is [email protected]. And yes, please do send emails - I've sent two in my time in Cambridge already. They do help.

The book called "div, grad, curl and all that" or something is quite good. I think there's also a yellow one called "vector calculus" but I don't know the author's name - it might be Matthews, but I might be making that up, and it might in fact be any other name with equal probability. I'm sure those of you that have RHB (probably most of you) will find a large part of the course in there, too. It's not a difficult course at all - hell, some of the later example sheets aren't even tricky.

(Original post by ukebert)
    I am in such a bad mood. I should never have woken up.
    What's up?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Gesar)
    *shrug*. I haven't needed to worry about im/perfect past tenses since GCSE german, and never in english.
    It's not a grammar thing - "payed" is not an English word. :tongue:

ReputationRep:
    It's not a grammar thing - "payed" is not an English word. :tongue:
    It is a grammar thing :tongue:

http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/payed
    http://www.wsu.edu/~brians/errors/payed.html

And I was either speaking archaic english or using it in the sense of paying a rope out, I haven't decided yet.

ReputationRep:
    I think the email is [email protected]. And yes, please do send emails - I've sent two in my time in Cambridge already. They do help.

The book called "div, grad, curl and all that" or something is quite good. I think there's also a yellow one called "vector calculus" but I don't know the author's name - it might be Matthews, but I might be making that up, and it might in fact be any other name with equal probability. I'm sure those of you that have RHB (probably most of you) will find a large part of the course in there, too. It's not a difficult course at all - hell, some of the later example sheets aren't even tricky.

What's up?
    Have you sent these e-mails to the hotline from your hermes account or did you create an anonymous freemail account for that?
    edit: http://www.damtp.cam.ac.uk/user/stud.../feedback.html <- "However, if you have a serious or urgent problem, you can email someone in the Faculty at [email protected]. Your problem will be dealt with in confidence, and you can expect a rapid response." Now, move your mouse pointer over the word "someone", and Dr. S' name will pop up. No point writing an e-mail there to complain about Dynamics, is there?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by Y__)
    Have you sent these e-mails to the hotline from your hermes account or did you create an anonymous freemail account for that?
    Hermes. I should warn you that Stephen Siklos was the one that replied to it offering to pass on my comments anonymously, should your emails contain any criticism about him due to which you may wish to conceal your identity...

The home of Results and Clearing

people online now

students helped last year

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling about GCSE results day?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.