Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ukebert)
    And TSR is not letting me edit my post, so I'll have my rant here.

I was on the way to the ADC when a couple of ***** in an unmarked van drove past me on Trinity Street and chucked a snowball with some force at point blank range into my eye. I sighed and moved on, thinking about something else at the time and so wasn't really concentrating, but it was quite annoying.
    Yeh some idiots drove past me and the shadows and screamed, hooted etc, but not nearly as annoying. Living alongside humanity can be trying at times.

And TSR is doing funny things to my posts too.

ReputationRep:
    Fen Court would look much less of a dump if the base wasn't used as a car park/junkyard/maintenance area. That drags the whole look down. And yeh it seems to look alright in sunshine.. especially as the light gives the ivy more colour which blocks out Fen court :p:
    My shadow is sleeping in there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Craghyrax)
    Fen Court would look much less of a dump if the base wasn't used as a car park/junkyard/maintenance area. That drags the whole look down. And yeh it seems to look alright in sunshine.. especially as the light gives the ivy more colour which blocks out Fen court :p:
    My shadow is sleeping in there.
    I always think that the thing that really defines whether a building is good or bad is how it looks in drizzle. It's a common problem with 20th century buildings that they look wonderful in the sunshine and plain miserable in standard british weather. What works in the States may not work here.

I really like the layout of Fen Court, and just a few alterations would make it a much pleasanter place. Things like a decent render on the walls, better windows, better use of space and materials under the colonnade etc.

It still doesn't fit with the rest of college very well. I think that something utilising the advantages of both styles would have been the way forward. Ah well.

Oh, exam time, does anyone know the approximate dates? I can't find them online. I've had a request for a ceilidh and I don't know whether it'll be difficult to find players or not.

ReputationRep:
    ukebert, what do you make of our rooms point forms? :p:
    And do you care much about rooms anyway?
    Also what do you think of inviting your adopted brother along to family dinner on Monday?
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    A curiosity: has anyone noticed how everyone at Cambridge is depressed?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by generalebriety)
    Everyone on this thread generally is :p:

The Engineers at Peterhouse are generally very cheerful and upbeat, even though some of us don't have a clue what is going on. My old supervision partner is one of the ones that is struggling almost as much as I am and it's quite a comfort to joke with him about not understanding lecturers and so on.

ukebert, what do you make of our rooms point forms? :p:
    And do you care much about rooms anyway?
    Also what do you think of inviting your adopted brother along to family dinner on Monday?
    I don't yet have a room point form

And I do care about rooms but not as much as all that. I would love a room in Old Court, preferably one with panelling and so on (although I think they're all double sets and I don't know who I would share with) but I'd be happy with most of them as long as they are close to college. I'm expecting to end up in Fitz Street tbh.

And I was assuming that he would be coming. It would be a shame if he did not

ReputationRep:
    Is that question also an admission?

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, it's pretty common but I tend to stay relatively cheery whatever really. Although it's somewhat unnerving that with halfway hall later on today, I now only have half of my degree left.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    (Original post by ukebert)
    Everyone on this thread generally is :p:

The Engineers at Peterhouse are generally very cheerful and upbeat, even though some of us don't have a clue what is going on. My old supervision partner is one of the ones that is struggling almost as much as I am and it's quite a comfort to joke with him about not understanding lecturers and so on.
    Oh, I don't mean about work-related matters. Just depressed in general. One of my friends once proposed that the intensity of the workload here caused people to form very intense friendships and relationships, take on very intense hobbies, and generally have very intense personalities - and so they were mostly either ecstatic or depressed, and ecstatic's pretty hard to achieve here...

ReputationRep:
    I've noticed that people comment on this about Oxbridge on TSR, but I don't have any firsthand experience of it here except distinct individuals here or there. It seems a minority thing to me.

However I think 'depression' is quite specific. Everybody gets stressed/unhappy/unmotivated etc at times, but I term depression as being constantly miserable.

The wider comments you've made.. well maybe its true for some, but certainly not everyone. I know lots of people who don't do loads of intense activities. I know several (in college who don't really do anything except laze around in the JCR constantly and do a bit of work here and there.

ReputationRep:
    Oh, I don't mean about work-related matters. Just depressed in general. One of my friends once proposed that the intensity of the workload here caused people to form very intense friendships and relationships, take on very intense hobbies, and generally have very intense personalities - and so they were mostly either ecstatic or depressed, and ecstatic's pretty hard to achieve here...
    That's an interesting theory and is fairly plausible. I haven't formed any intense friendships yet, but intensive hobbies I think I can admit to :o:

And if you think ecstatic is hard to achieve then you've never played in a ceilidh. The few times that I have been genuinely and completely happy last year were when walking in the Lake District, walking in Norway, sailing and playing folk music.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    I've noticed that people comment on this about Oxbridge on TSR, but I don't have any firsthand experience of it here except distinct individuals here or there. It seems a minority thing to me.

However I think 'depression' is quite specific. Everybody gets stressed/unhappy/unmotivated etc at times, but I term depression as being constantly miserable.
    And for the purposes of this question, so do I. That's why I'm quite worried.

(Original post by Thicky)
    Is that question also an admission?
    (Oops. Aren't you an applicant? I mean, err, Cambridge is lovely! )

:tongue: I'm sure it's not as bad as I make out, it's just that a lot of my friends seem to be depressed all the time. Maybe I attract depressed people. I guess we'll find out from people's responses...

ReputationRep:
    I have to say I agree with the intensity theory, although thankfully I tend to sit more on the ecstatic side of the barrier. But you can't really maintain a state of delirious happiness for that long, so there are always slumps.

ReputationRep:

:tongue: I'm sure it's not as bad as I make out, it's just that a lot of my friends seem to be depressed all the time. Maybe I attract depressed people. I guess we'll find out from people's responses...
    To be perfectly honest, I moved from South Africa to England in 2004, and the striking feature was that most Brits seemed really depressed in comparison. The drinking culture seems directly proportional to this. And Cambridge seems absolutely no different to the town I was living in the three years before I moved to Cambridge.

So no.. its not Cambridge.. or Oxford.. its England. And there are a few societal reasons for this I think.

And personally I don't get the extremes.. Emotionally I'm pretty constant. Mostly content-happy and occasionally unhappy.

I get very specific and very temporary major stress outs over work, but these vanish the moment the deadline passes.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    So no.. its not Cambridge.. or Oxford.. its England. And there are a few societal reasons for this I think.
    Go on?

I can't really agree with you. Very few seemed this depressed at school, anyway; it's simply the case that the more stress people are under, the more likely they are to be depressed.

ReputationRep:
    I've definitely noticed this, but it seems to be more associated with TSR-ness. We seem to have a higher concentration of people who seem to be more or less 'constantly' miserable. Maybe we are more likely to express these concerns on a forum? Maybe we use the forum as a form of venting and/or distraction? It was certainly true for me back in my undergrad days, but this has definitely been attenuated a lot after starting clinical school. I think I had different expectations from a medical degree back in the day. I resented being on a mainly natsci course. It all makes sense now though, and even though I hated my first three years, I do appreciated that it's given me a fairly solid grounding for clinical school.

Hmm, I seem to have done a Calgary-Cambridge here, even if it was unintentional. Communication Skills is getting into my head :eek:

(Original post by Calgary Cambridge guide to interviewing patients)

Actively determines and appropriately explores:

* patient’s ideas (i.e. beliefs re cause)
    * patient’s concerns (i.e. worries) regarding each problem
    * patient’s expectations (i.e., goals, what help the patient had expected for each problem)
    * effects: how each problem affects the patient’s life

ReputationRep:
    To be perfectly honest, I moved from South Africa to England in 2004, and the striking feature was that most Brits seemed really depressed in comparison. The drinking culture seems directly proportional to this. And Cambridge seems absolutely no different to the town I was living in the three years before I moved to Cambridge.

And personally I don't get the extremes.. Emotionally I'm pretty constant. Mostly content-happy and occasionally unhappy.

I get very specific and very temporary major stress outs over work, but these vanish the moment the deadline passes.
    Do you really mean depressed? Or just less outgoing/more withdrawn?

*remembers Craggy's views of dirty Brits and adds this to the List :woo: *

ReputationRep:

It's ok I'm totally ****** up/depressed so umm :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by visesh)
    I've definitely noticed this, but it seems to be more associated with TSR-ness. We seem to have a higher concentration of people who seem to be more or less 'constantly' miserable. Maybe we are more likely to express these concerns on a forum? Maybe we use the forum as a form of venting and/or distraction? It was certainly true for me back in my undergrad days, but this has definitely been attenuated a lot after starting clinical school. I think I had different expectations from a medical degree back in the day. I resented being on a mainly natsci course. It all makes sense now though, and even though I hated my first three years, I do appreciated that it's given me a fairly solid grounding for clinical school.

Hmm, I seem to have done a Calgary-Cambridge here, even if it was unintentional. Communication Skills is getting into my head :eek:
    For me it is my only outlet, so if I'm feeling particularly miserable and outraged then I am quite likely to post. Equally I like to think that if I've had a particularly good time then I will also post.

It may also be that things sound worse than they really are when read on TSR.
    • Wiki Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Wiki Support Team
    Perhaps it's just people I know. I'm not talking about TSR; loads of my friends in college seem really depressed.

University open days

1. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 8 Sep '18
  2. University of Cambridge
    St Catharine's College Undergraduate
    Sat, 15 Sep '18
  3. University of Cambridge
    King's College Undergraduate
    Tue, 18 Sep '18
Poll
How are you feeling in the run-up to Results Day 2018?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.